Anything new on @#%^(* OTA PG Issue?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I agree! I would expect guide information for all my locals and sub channels. Especially since I sub to the local programming.

We're moving the wrong direction here. I had one of 7 primary channels showing PG info. Now that one has disappeared. I'm at 100% now, NO PG info for any OTA channels.

I agree, Dish should put some effort here and deliver OTA guide. Voom could do it, so there is absolutly no reason whatsoever why Dish can't do it. BTW, I like 942 a lot, but OTA guide for subchannels will be very helpful. I have guide for the primary channel because I was forced to subscribe to locals, even if I don't need them.

Same here.. I had about half my locals having EPG data, and now every single one has no data except for CBS (WVLT). I noticed you are in Brighton, TN. I am in Knoxville, TN. This is so annoying! I've called them 4 times about this issue, the last time being a couple of days ago when I lost additional channels (WB and NBC). I was on hold for a freakin' hour and a half trying to get ahold of someone to talk to. (Also, every time I would select that I wanted tech support, their phone system would say it was transferring me and then hang up on me immediately. I finally had to select that I wanted to change my programming and have them transfer me.. then the hour and a half saga began.)

Minsk1 said:
I agree, Dish should put some effort here and deliver OTA guide. Voom could do it, so there is absolutly no reason whatsoever why Dish can't do it. BTW, I like 942 a lot, but OTA guide for subchannels will be very helpful. I have guide for the primary channel because I was forced to subscribe to locals, even if I don't need them.

Same here, unfortunately that program guide data can't be copied over to the OTA feed from the customer end, so even though the program guide data is right there (for many of the channels, but not all), I don't have any way to get the 942 to use it for the local OTA HD version of the channels.

Minsk1 said:
How where you forced to subscribe to channels you didn't need? If you did it just for the EPG, you should save the $6/mo since you aren't getting what you want. If you did it to get superdish then cancel after your commitment is up.

All dishnetwork will do is re-map the info from the analog stations they provide to the preferred channels slots. I believe the 811 will actually receive the PSIP data from the local digital station and add that to the guide. This is what I wanted however I have the 921 which I later discovered doesn't allow this (I was misinformed by dish).

jergenf said:
I believe the 811 will actually receive the PSIP data from the local digital station and add that to the guide.
Been living with my new 811 box for a week now, no program guide data for local digitals (whereas the VOOM box it replaced did). Is there a way for the 811 to display the guide info?

jergenf said:
...All dishnetwork will do is re-map the info from the analog stations they provide to the preferred channels slots. I believe the 811 will actually receive the PSIP data from the local digital station and add that to the guide. ...
No, not really. The 811 EPG data comes from Dish. It's exactly the same as the Dish Locals EPG data.

rvsixer said:
Been living with my new 811 box for a week now, no program guide data for local digitals (whereas the VOOM box it replaced did). Is there a way for the 811 to display the guide info?
The 811 OTA EPG is good in some locations, bad in others. I get OTA EPG data for 4 of 8 local digital stations. Non-Dish tuners (LG, Samsung, ...) have no problem getting guide data (probably from PSIP, which Dish doesn't do :().

mdonnelly said:
The 811 OTA EPG is good in some locations, bad in others. I get OTA EPG data for 4 of 8 local digital stations. Non-Dish tuners (LG, Samsung, ...) have no problem getting guide data (probably from PSIP, which Dish doesn't do :().
Thanks, it was my understanding dish receivers don't do PSIP data, but the previous message had me hoping maybe I missed a hidden setting or something :rolleyes:. My HDTV's tuner does display the PSIP data.

rvsixer said:
Thanks, it was my understanding dish receivers don't do PSIP data, but the previous message had me hoping maybe I missed a hidden setting or something :rolleyes:. My HDTV's tuner does display the PSIP data.
From reading these forums some 811 owners claimed that they did get PSIP data remapped to their EPG. I don't have one so I can't confirm.

With the 921 and 942 it actually does read the PSIP data in order to extract the channel ID info but doesn't obtain (or use) the remaining guide portion. I really think this is deliberate action on dishnetwork's part, possibly to persuade customers to subscribe from them. I can't think of any other reason for not using the rest of the info.

jergenf said:
From reading these forums some 811 owners claimed that they did get PSIP data remapped to their EPG. I don't have one so I can't confirm.

With the 921 and 942 it actually does read the PSIP data in order to extract the channel ID info but doesn't obtain (or use) the remaining guide portion. I really think this is deliberate action on dishnetwork's part, possibly to persuade customers to subscribe from them. I can't think of any other reason for not using the rest of the info.
Same with the 811. Channel mapping from PSIP, but not the Guide Data.

jergenf said:
How where you forced to subscribe to channels you didn't need? If you did it just for the EPG, you should save the $6/mo since you aren't getting what you want. If you did it to get superdish then cancel after your commitment is up.

All dishnetwork will do is re-map the info from the analog stations they provide to the preferred channels slots. I believe the 811 will actually receive the PSIP data from the local digital station and add that to the guide. This is what I wanted however I have the 921 which I later discovered doesn't allow this (I was misinformed by dish).

Aparently when you sign up to lease the equipment, they force the LIL channels on you. I called about this saying I didn't need them, and they said that if they removed them, that it wouldn't make any difference in cost of my satellite bill. I think I end up paying for them, I just don't have a choice. I guess for that choice you have to buy the satellite equipment, at least that is my understanding.

I seem to get the EPG with my OTA digital channels. The times that it shows "Local Digital" as the program title, I know that when I move channels, it is going to re-establish satellite signal (hmm, that's starting to happen everyother day... off to find the right forum :) )

seandudley said:
Aparently when you sign up to lease the equipment, they force the LIL channels on you. I called about this saying I didn't need them, and they said that if they removed them, that it wouldn't make any difference in cost of my satellite bill. I think I end up paying for them, I just don't have a choice. I guess for that choice you have to buy the satellite equipment, at least that is my understanding.
Is this the $19.95 new customer offer?

dogpoobob said:
I guess the answer to my question is NO! I have a 942 (failed to specify that). Seems to be a lot of people with the problem, but no problem resolution from E*.

I recommend calling them about this problem a lot. I have called them 6 times about the problem now. They told me to check back with them on the status around Wednesday or Thursday, and I will call again then. I figure if enough of us bug them, they'll fix it. (In fact, the last CSR I talked to indicated that the more people that call about a problem, the higher priority it has.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)