Anyway to use Cell Phone with 622?

Julien

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Atlanta
Just got my 622 installed today but miffed about the $5 a month no phone line charge. Was told that E* doesn't charge this for the 211 and I don't understand. Was told that the 622 is dual tuner and the 211 is single but so I still don't understand.

I have found a cell phone to corded phone adaptor called Dock-N-Talk. It says in the FAQ that Satellite receivers are not supported. Does anyone know if the 622 would work and if not why? Also are there any other solutions that others with cell service are using?

Do you have broadband, what about VOIP solution ? You might write to ceo@dishnetwork.com and explain that you are one of many households who have given up your wired phone for wireless/cell and you should not have to pay a penalty from dish for doing so. Can't hurt !

Last edited:
Just got my 622 installed today but miffed about the $5 a month no phone line charge. Was told that E* doesn't charge this for the 211 and I don't understand. Was told that the 622 is dual tuner and the 211 is single but so I still don't understand.

E* chargers $5 for each additional receiver past the first one on an account. If the only receiver on your account is a 211 you only have one receiver, hence no $5.00 charge. If you have another reveiver on your account & you add a 211 you will be charged $5/month for it weather it is connected to a phone line or not.

The 622 has 2 receivers in 1 case, if the 622 is the only box on your account , you still have 2 receivers, BUT they will waive the 2nd receiver charge if you connect it to a phone line.

If you have a land line but do not want to run a line to the 622 get a wireless phone jack.

I hope this post clears things up for you.

Jordan

Pick up a $50-$60 VoIP box. Configure it with a free VoIP provider such as FreeWorldDialup, SIPPhone, etc. You can dial toll free all you want including your receiver even get incoming calls with no monthly charges.

Pick up a $50-$60 VoIP box. Configure it with a free VoIP provider such as FreeWorldDialup, SIPPhone, etc. You can dial toll free all you want including your receiver even get incoming calls with no monthly charges.
This sounds like a good idea. Is this the type of "box" I need? I have a cable modem/router located at my junction box and my HT is downstairs while my PC is upstairs. Do you hook the "box" to a modem/router input and then hook the phone line out to the home phone line using the computer/software to control by intranet? Do you have a link to VoIP 101 info site?

I like the SPA 1001:

http://store.voxilla.com/customer/product.php?productid=16150&cat=263&page=1

It's about the size of a deck of playing cards. Very small!

It can have two separate VoIP lines configured on a one line phone too. No software is needed on your PC since this is a hardware device. You'll configure the device for a free VoIP provider, such as Sipphone or FreeWorldDialup, etc, then hook it up to the network. Test out a 1-800 number via regular phone. Then hook it up to the Dishnet receiver.

Then if you want you can also get other free phone numbers that people can call you on the device so you don't burn up your cell phone.

I like the SPA 1001:

http://store.voxilla.com/customer/product.php?productid=16150&cat=263&page=1

It's about the size of a deck of playing cards. Very small!

It can have two separate VoIP lines configured on a one line phone too. No software is needed on your PC since this is a hardware device. You'll configure the device for a free VoIP provider, such as Sipphone or FreeWorldDialup, etc, then hook it up to the network. Test out a 1-800 number via regular phone. Then hook it up to the Dishnet receiver...
So all I do is plug the SPA 1001 into my network and hook the phone jack to my 622 and it will dial E* automatically without any setup, software, or needing a phone number? If you don't have or need software how do you configure it for a free provider?:confused:

the device has a web interface you can log into and configure it just like you would a router or other hardware device.

You will probably have to call dish and have the "phone number" of the device added to your account, not sure what they will do when they see your receiver calling in from an unknown phone number.

the device has a web interface you can log into and configure it just like you would a router or other hardware device.

You will probably have to call dish and have the "phone number" of the device added to your account, not sure what they will do when they see your receiver calling in from an unknown phone number.
So it sets up through a intranet page like a router and will make an outgoing call but have no phone number? If so I should just keep my cell phone number as my "phone number".

So it sets up through a intranet page like a router and will make an outgoing call but have no phone number? If so I should just keep my cell phone number as my "phone number".

Yes. You browse to the devices HTTP page to set it up.

Actually Dish is going to read the switch's phone number, not the caller ID being sent. I think this is called the ANI. I'm sure they are already seeing several "weird" numbers from all kinds of VoIP providers on their logs. I had my 811 configured this way and had zero issues with the audit nazi's or PPV's going up.

The phone number I believe is part of the device setup, and/or part of the signup for your chosen provider. It will most definitely have a phone number.

The phone number I believe is part of the device setup, and/or part of the signup for your chosen provider. It will most definitely have a phone number.

Not really.... With FreeWorldDialup you'll get a 6 digit phone number or should I call it extension. For instance, mine is 64466, can be reached via PSTN by a FWD "on-ramp" or my free PSTN IPKall.com number.

With SIPPhone/GizmoProject you'll get an area code 747, but actually there isn't a 747 area code. If I call a toll free automated system from any of my 7 or 8 VoIP lines I get some weird phone numbers read back to me, because these are the ANI's of the switches that are handling the VoIP call.

Not to confuse anyone... get the adapter. Get an account with a free VoIP provider. Configure the adapter. Test it. Hook it up to the E* box. Forget about it....

...Not to confuse anyone... get the adapter. Get an account with a free VoIP provider. Configure the adapter. Test it. Hook it up to the E* box. Forget about it....
I ordered the adaptor and hope it is as easy to setup as you stated. I guess I need to read a litlte more about VoIP to understand. Like how does the call make the jump from the internet to hard phone lines? Does the provider do this switching and a actual phone line dialing? If so what is in it for the provider to offer this service free of charge? Also which provider are you using or do you recomend for receiver hookup and dialing only (no need for a phone or incoming calls)?

I ordered the adaptor and hope it is as easy to setup as you stated. I guess I need to read a litlte more about VoIP to understand. Like how does the call make the jump from the internet to hard phone lines? Does the provider do this switching and a actual phone line dialing? If so what is in it for the provider to offer this service free of charge? Also which provider are you using or do you recomend for receiver hookup and dialing only (no need for a phone or incoming calls)?

Most people have had better luck with SIPPhone/Gizmoproject for their E* boxes. You do have to setup their Gizmoproject software on your PC to manage your account but then you can uninstall/not use the software. Their are guides on setting up the SPA devices for SIPPhone. Another excellent tool are the device config wizards at Voxilla.com. Then you've got my PM box or pick a phone number to call me at ;)

I'm currently using several providers... VoicePulse for my main two lines. SIPPhone/Gizmoproject for an out-of-state incoming number. FreeWorldDialup w/ a free washington state IPKall PSTN number, StanaPhone with a free NY phonenumber. VoiceStick with another free out of town phone number. VoIPBuster with some free outgoing calls, I'm sure I missed something but I have a 2 line SPA2000, 1 line SPA3000, 2 line SPA1000, and a 4 line SPA841 running on my network right now ;)

I have found a cell phone to corded phone adaptor called Dock-N-Talk. It says in the FAQ that Satellite receivers are not supported. Does anyone know if the 622 would work and if not why? Also are there any other solutions that others with cell service are using?
To answer your question why the 622 will not work with the "Dock-N-Talk" is because the 622 uses a modem, which is not supported by this device, since most cellular companies either don't support or don't allow computer modems to be connected to cellular telephones on their networks.

During the early 90's I had a need for connecting various data devices via cellphones, which worked pretty good. But now cell companies would rather sell you a data device/service. And although it may require a change in service, I believe you could still find a cell solution.

However, I believe the other route you decided to take is a better choice.

As long as it dials in to report PPV so Dish can make more $ why would E* care if it was a traditional land line or VoIP?

In the manual (page 105) it says that the 622 must be connected to an "active telephone connection" and doesn't stipulate what kind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts