Apartment Cable Junction Box

vtphotowx

Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
This may seem like an odd question, but I was all ready to set up and install a *C dish this afternoon on the edge of my apartment building, with the intent of tying it into the cable junction box, using a diplexer to share the sat signal with the CATV (for internet and Clear-QAM HDTV). However, today I noticed the junction box is locked. Nothing on it says "property of Time Warner Cable" or the like. :mad:

It would seem to me that since they do not own the cables going through the walls of the building, they shouldn't be able to lock the access box.

Now I may be forced to set up elsewhere and string the sat cable under the door, but it would have been nice to just tie it in with the existing wiring, in case I decide to get a 2nd receiver for the bedroom or whatever.

Any ideas on my "rights to access" or otherwise?

Thanks!
-Mike

You mean the box on the outside of the building where all the cables for all the apts come in?

yeah the cable company owns it and they lock it so folks dont magically tie their cable in with a neighbors to get free cable

That's what I was afraid of. I suppose I could call and ask for a tech to come out and let me in, but I highly doubt they'd allow it.

This leaves me with no real "easy" options, as it would be hard to hide any length of cable going around the perimeter of the building and across my neighbor's front door. The building is all cement/stucco, tough to anchor to.

However, this might work:
(Can't post links yet, google "Monster-Cable-MV3FMini-8M-Video-F-Pin")

...combined with globs of silicone caulk to anchor it down.

Otherwise, the roof might work, but then I'd be left with the same wire anchoring problem, plus I'd need to dish out for a NPR mount and a bunch of patio bricks.

Sure wish they made wireless re-transmitters for raw signals from a sat dish!

I've installed dish going into the MDU boxes... can't recall I've had a problem with it. Talked with the property management, they say it's theirs so they didn't mind. I happen to have my own keys to get in there so there was no cable co to deal with.

Maybe you can talk to the management people and see what they say. Find out who wired the units, the cable co or a independent electrician. If electrician did (likely) I don't think they cable co should be able to dictate it then.

Flat wire maybe your best bet if no luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)