Apartment install HELP!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colleycol

Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Guys I need some help/ Ironwoods will not install my 5LNB dish.

He came with two reason why I cannot get installed. First he said that my HDTV receivers wont work with the Flat wire cables since I am in a "no-drilling" apartment. I have searched the forum and seen many that have used this.

Next he said I cant se a tripod or bucket for the 5LNB dish. Cant I put a flat roof mount on the patio and put cinder blocks on my patio? I have a clear view of the southern sky.

I have attached photos of the area. I don't know what to do.

If they wont install it, can I call another company even though this is who DirectTv sent me too.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 184
Flat wire is not rated for the new sats yet, and the installer doesn't want to set himself up for repeated call backs everytime you have a signal/pixelization problem.

The bucket won't work either, because it is not a wide enough base to prevent the 33.5" dish from tipping over (they're not balanced very well). A tripod may work, provided you get one designed for the 5 LNB dish...which Ironwood doesn't carry in stock.

The non-pen may be a viable option provided your landlord approves it. It's not so much a OTARD permission issue as it is a safety issue. Your landlord could claim it would be a trip hazard since you're on the ground level.

You might be able to get approval for a pole mount since you are on the firs floor.

Flat wire is not rated for the new sats yet, and the installer doesn't want to set himself up for repeated call backs everytime you have a signal/pixelization problem.

The bucket won't work either, because it is not a wide enough base to prevent the 33.5" dish from tipping over (they're not balanced very well). A tripod may work, provided you get one designed for the 5 LNB dish...which Ironwood doesn't carry in stock.

The non-pen may be a viable option provided your landlord approves it. It's not so much a OTARD permission issue as it is a safety issue. Your landlord could claim it would be a trip hazard since you're on the ground level.

Flat wire is rated fine for the new satellites - this business about not using flat wire is an installer "urban legend".

If it is your patio, under your exclusive use, you can mount the dish however you like, such as on a pole concreted into the ground - see the FCC regulations at FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas Your landlord would not get very far claiming your dish was a hazard.

I use to have my dish mounted on a concrete slab, which was about 3.5' tall, 2.5" thick, and weighed about 120 lbs. I just leaned it up against the wall, and positioned the dish. Worked very well with little or no outages from wind.

Guess I'll have to tell my training guy, my QC guy, my supervisors, and my manager that they were all wrong. Personally, I wouldn't install an HD system using flatwire because it DOES cause problems.

The point I am making is that any problems with flat wire have nothing to do with the spec, or with the new satellites. The flat wire has a bandwidth rating that is fine for the full DirecTV frequency range. In any case, the new satellite at 103(b) is in a frequency band, the b-band, that is the least likely to cause issues with any cable. It's the same low frequency band as OTA signals from an antenna. Signal attenuation in cable increases as the frequency increases, the lower frequencies from 103(b) are not an issue for cables. And you only use a few feet of it - it will have no effect whatsoever on the signals coming from the dish.
Problems due to mechanical damage are another thing entirely, I was not commenting on those. Just this statement you hear that "flat cable won't work with the new HD channels". It simply is not true.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)