Apartment install, no drilling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I live on the 2nd floor in an apartment complex. I just ordered DirecTV and mentioned that I live in an apartment. He asked if I had permission and I said yes.

I neglected to mention that my apartment does not allow drilling of holes. I noticed that other people around here seem to either have a tripod or a pole clamped to the balcony railings some how.

Do I need to call up the installer or dealer to tell them that they will not allow drilling? From reading other threads, it seems like some people have been charged extra for the pole but I assumed it comes with the install. Is it up to the installer to determine if I get charged extra or not? Nothing was mentioned when I ordered.

EITHER call and cancel or plan to [pay the tech.

Apartment installs are a mess............and the DTV system is not designed for the building layout. If your balcony is not facing south nothing can happen.DTV will not allow the flat coax that might go under your door or window. The tech will arrive & leave. The communication system will not reach him...betya.

Joe

I face south west, mostly west. I tried dishpointer.com and it looks like I'm facing the right direction.

Today I counted at least 5 apartments with DirecTV slimline dishes in my complex. They seem to all be installed with a pole clamped to the railing. One looks like it is on a tripod but I think that is a dishnetwork install as it looked like it was pointing a different direction. I'm no expert but it doesnt seem too difficult to install. I would think it would certainly be easier than having to climb up on a roof and run cables down.

I'll try to give them a call. DirecTV didnt give me a number, however "DirectSat" left me an automated message today telling me I can move up my install date. Hopefully I can get through to someone.

The walls on my balcony look like they have some sort of cheap siding on it so I can understand why they don't want people drilling into it. Hopefully this won't cost me too much. I'll have to see how much of my $100 rebate from the plasma concepts it uses up.

do you have an in wall airconditioner or CENTRAL air....if you have central air...I WOULD NOT DO an install at your place cause of the FLAT CABLE issue. In wall air conditioner...you would be my friend

do you have an in wall airconditioner or CENTRAL air....if you have central air...I WOULD NOT DO an install at your place cause of the FLAT CABLE issue. In wall air conditioner...you would be my friend

I have central air. I use to have an in wall one at my old place.

I dont know how this new dish works but I remember that with my old one, they only ran one coax cable into my apt under my balcony door. Although they guy didnt ground my dish.

I dont actually know what flat cable is. isnt it just one conductor coax? is flat cable unshielded?

2368504.jpg

don't use it it will/can catch fire/melt etc

if you live in apartment/condo it probably won't be grounded due to lack of a NEC approved ground source

oh, that flat cable, I didnt even know they used that with dish. Anyways, I think I should be able to get coax in ok. Hopefully the installer is the same one that installed those other dishes in my complex so he knows exactly what he needs to do.

How much do they usually charge for a pole clamped to a railing install? Is this something I can easily buy myself for cheaper to save money?

Not that flat cable.
That's called twin lead, used for TV antenna in the old days.
This is flat coax, still not recommended as over time it can short out.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Coaxial-Cable-Coupler/dp/B0002KR74A]Amazon.com: Flat Coaxial Cable Coupler: Electronics[/ame]

I don't understand why people are saying Flat cables are not allowed?

Why does Direct have them listed as costing 16.50 as an extra charge right on the work orders?

We have to use them all the time, or we would never get an apartment job in.

Be ready to pay for this install. The mount and the flat cables will not be included in the basic install.

What does air conditioning situation have to do with flat cable?

Well either way, I don't think the cable will be an issue. I should be able to get it in without problem. I just need to make sure they bring a pole and see how much they charge me for it.

I don't understand why people are saying Flat cables are not allowed?

Why does Direct have them listed as costing 16.50 as an extra charge right on the work orders?

We have to use them all the time, or we would never get an apartment job in.

Be ready to pay for this install. The mount and the flat cables will not be included in the basic install.

Because some idiots in all their wisdom would use the flat cable to power a 4x8. So for like a month D* pulled them, but reauthorized them for Commercial and Apartment use only.

It *IS* ok to install them in your situation, just ask the tech to leave a couple extra with ya and show you how to install them. They do fail, but it will months or years before they do. As far as the Pole/Rail/Non-Pen mounts costing extra, is simply because *THEY* cost a hell of a lot more than a typical mast used. A Mast might be $1-$5 where a Non-Pen Mount can be $60-$200+ Typicaly for a Rail or Tripod they charge $60 - $85 obviously this could be different.

Tip.. Offer to help carry stuff up so he doesn't have to make 10 trips up your stairs. :)

If you have a window on the same side of your unit as the deck, you can try this: cut a piece of wood that is the same length as your window (assuming it is a single or double hung and slides up) that is ony about two inches high. Then drill a 3/8" hole near one end. This will allow your tech to slide the round RG6 through it and then terminate it after it's through the hole. Granted you have to have the right situation but this will allow a full cable install (or even four cable if necessary.) If you're in a cold clime you'll have to maybe put a little foam around the board. It all comes down to how badly you want that marvelous D* HD programming. :cool:

My objection to the flat cable is that it is prone to getting dinged. IF it is wanted that the tech be responsible for the installation for any length of time (I hear 90 days) than the tech should be able to either charge extra or refuse the questionable installations.

The plan where the tech takes known shortcuts and then gets charged when the crappy installation fails is not fair. A time and materials pay schedule to keep these things running would put the risk in the correct position.

The last time I refused an apartment installation because the manager refused any drilling the customer called th installation company.....they sent another tech who drilled the roof and attic walls to run the cable in a closet. Yes it leaked.

Joe

Because some idiots in all their wisdom would use the flat cable to power a 4x8. So for like a month D* pulled them, but reauthorized them for Commercial and Apartment use only.

It *IS* ok to install them in your situation, just ask the tech to leave a couple extra with ya and show you how to install them. They do fail, but it will months or years before they do. As far as the Pole/Rail/Non-Pen mounts costing extra, is simply because *THEY* cost a hell of a lot more than a typical mast used. A Mast might be $1-$5 where a Non-Pen Mount can be $60-$200+ Typicaly for a Rail or Tripod they charge $60 - $85 obviously this could be different.

Tip.. Offer to help carry stuff up so he doesn't have to make 10 trips up your stairs. :)

I see. I didnt realize what was involved in the install. From looking at someone else's install, it seems like the extra parts are just the pole and a few small clamps. If it takes 10 trips up the stairs there must be alot more stuff.

Anyways, I'll call them up and let them know that no drilling is allowed and hope the message gets to the installer. I guess my $100 rebate from plasma concepts will pay for my install.

As for the flex cable, I had initially thought that the cable would just run under my balcony door. I'm not too concerned with cable chafing because I don't plan to ever go out on my tiny balcony.
How do the flex cables break over time if no one touches it? just weather?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)