Apartment management forcing us to remove dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bimmer740i

Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
I am having dishes installed in my balcony from 2 and half years ago. At that time they gave us permission to install dishes verbally(not written permission). But now they are saying that i shouldn't have the dishes in my balcony as they are providing central dish. But through that central dish we wouldn't get international channels. International channels are the reason for having dish in our apartment. They are saying according to the lease terms we aren't allow to have dish. Today they came to our apartment and took pictures of the dishes and the wiring. Now my question is are we going to get any problem from my apartment management. Thanks

Is your balcony for your use only?

Are your dishes attached to the balcony? If so they may get you there.

If they aren't attached to the building or anything apartment owned then they can't say anything. The FCC has a law allowing for dishes in apartments.

We didn't attach the dishes to the balcony. Our balcony is huge one and we put the dishes inside the balcony only by using some pieces of wood. We didn't damage the apartment property.
Neutron said:
Is your balcony for your use only?

Are your dishes attached to the balcony? If so they may get you there.

If they aren't attached to the building or anything apartment owned then they can't say anything. The FCC has a law allowing for dishes in apartments.

Well if that's the case then your landlord can't do anything about it. The FCC law supercedes any lease.

Providing the central dish helps get around OTARD to a certain extent.

Make SURE that the apartments know that your dish is not replaced by their common arrangement. Let them know what subscription channels you are paying for you will lose if you connect in to the central dish instead of your own dishes. OTARD protects dishes needed to receive programs you subscribe to.

If you have two dishes installed (one for main channels and one for internationals) you may have lost OTARD protection on the main dish ... assuming their central dish provides the signals needed for those programs. It may be possible to mix their central dish feed with your own "internationals" dish and meet them half way.

This is all assuming that the central dish will work with your current receivers to get your current main programming. If it doesn't then you can fight to keep all of your dishes and probably win.

BTW: Part of the question remained unanswered. Do you share the balcony?

JL

no. we didn't share our balcony.
justalurker said:
Providing the central dish helps get around OTARD to a certain extent.

Make SURE that the apartments know that your dish is not replaced by their common arrangement. Let them know what subscription channels you are paying for you will lose if you connect in to the central dish instead of your own dishes. OTARD protects dishes needed to receive programs you subscribe to.

If you have two dishes installed (one for main channels and one for internationals) you may have lost OTARD protection on the main dish ... assuming their central dish provides the signals needed for those programs. It may be possible to mix their central dish feed with your own "internationals" dish and meet them half way.

This is all assuming that the central dish will work with your current receivers to get your current main programming. If it doesn't then you can fight to keep all of your dishes and probably win.

BTW: Part of the question remained unanswered. Do you share the balcony?

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts