Apartment manager just said I could have a large OTA antenna installed, so here's my question...

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I had a Winegard wing antenna previously here in Rochester, MN, but recently had problems getting all my PBS stations from Austin, MN (KMSQ) and Mason City, IA (KYIN) and their subchannels. The antenna installer suggested a larger antenna to pick them up, and got the approval from my apartment manager, and although I bet it will work well, I bet it will be an eyesore (not a big deal). Anyways, I have Dish Network for satellite service and the service address is in the Twin Cities so I get the basic Twin Cities stations, but I was wondering, can I get my local PBS stations through the antenna and also get the subchannels from the Cities that the satellite companies don't offer? I'm sure anything from the Cities will be off and on, but still nice to have. If you need an idea of where I live, let's just say it's near the center of Rochester. Thanks for your help, and I believe they'll come next Monday.

(Let's just hope since it's a directional antenna that Dish soon has the "add locals" feature soon since it's not omnidirectional.)

You should be able to pickup KAAL 6.1 RF36/ KSMQ 15.1 RF20/KTTC 10.1 RF10/KXLT 47.1 RF46/ and a repeater K25NK 25.1 RF25. Any subcarriers should also be available. Mason City may be pushing your range a lot will depend on what type and height buildings you have in your neighborhood. How high will your antenna be and what are you getting.

They didn't tell me. I just know it's a rather large one, and I'm guessing (ball park) 30 ft height? (Maybe a little higher?) Anywho I know I always got channel 3 and its subs from Mason City, but had trouble with 24 and now even 15. They said they should come in with this antenna. A nice perk would be that I would be getting the Twin Cities subs, that satellite doesn't offer, but not that important, since I already get the main ones, but still would be. I had a Lava antenna once that picked some of them for a short period off and on, but was lousy and I scrapped it. Will I have better luck with a good sized antenna? They are also supplying it with a good pre-amp and may add on some height as well.

They didn't tell me. I just know it's a rather large one, and I'm guessing (ball park) 30 ft height? (Maybe a little higher?) Anywho I know I always got channel 3 and its subs from Mason City, but had trouble with 24 and now even 15. They said they should come in with this antenna. A nice perk would be that I would be getting the Twin Cities subs, that satellite doesn't offer, but not that important, since I already get the main ones, but still would be. I had a Lava antenna once that picked some of them for a short period off and on, but was lousy and I scrapped it. Will I have better luck with a good sized antenna? They are also supplying it with a good pre-amp and may add on some height as well.
You have so much that you don't know about what you are purchasing that you will just have to wait until it is installed then you will either be thrilled or disappointed.

You have so much that you don't know about what you are purchasing that you will just have to wait until it is installed then you will either be thrilled or disappointed.

Just found out it's a Winegard (don't know what model) if that makes a difference.

Update: Big antenna, but not big enough for the cities, but that's okay for I get the main ones through my dish, and I GET ALL MY LOCALS in Rochester including my subs. So I'm happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)