Apartment Question????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

holmesgsh

Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
I just ordered DirecTV, i am pointed the correct way and have permission from the apartment. I cannot install on the building itself, what are my options? will the installer provide something, will I be charged? I see one person in the complex has a pipe in a bucket with the satellite attached. Any advice. Thanks i cannot wait to receive the system. Any football game in HD, WOW

holmesgsh said:
I see one person in the complex has a pipe in a bucket with the satellite attached

WOW, it took me a minute to stop laughing, is the bucket filled with concrete or something? Seems kind of redneck to me...LOL (I live in Alabama, so I am allowed to make redneck jokes)

Most people put a pole in the ground and mount to the pole, I believe an installer will definitely charge extra for this. I would do it myself before the installer comes out. If the satellite is going to be far from the house, I would also dig a trench and bury a pipe to run the cable through. The more you already have done, the cheaper it will be for you and the quicker the install will go.

Yeah a bucket

I live in NC so RedNeck jokes are just fine. Well I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor so I am not sure what they will do. Of course customer service seems to think there is no problem but I cannot get a definitive answer on this. I just did not know if anyone else has ran into this.

Since you are on the third floor, If you have a balcony, I think you can legally mount a dish there, and the apartment owner cannot stop you.

"As directed by Congress in section 207 of the Telecommunications Act"

that is what I am hoping is the case. The only thing the apartment said is it cannot be connected to the exterior of the apartment

i just wonder why my neighbor has it in a bucket, that confused me like maybe they did not allow installation on the balcony.

The chance that the instaler is going to have a bucket, pipe, and bag of concrete with him are probably below zero. If that's the way you need to go I suggest you get the materials and do it yourself. Just make sure the pipe in plumb and level. Another option would be to clamp a pipe to your deck railing, assuming of course that is where you plan on placing your dish. They will charge you for anything special that they have to do. If you have a place to mount the dish ready when they get there you will avoid delays as well as extra charges.

If your landlord lets you drill holes in the deck or railing you won't have any issues. The installer may require written permission to do so though. Hope it works out in your favor!

The HSP i work for will do bucket mounts or Railing mounts.......The customer must supply the bucket to put the concrete and pole in. They will also mount to a wood or steel railing if it is allowed. We use non pentrating railing mounts that clamp to the railing for the dish to be installed.

holmesgsh said:
i just wonder why my neighbor has it in a bucket, that confused me like maybe they did not allow installation on the balcony.
The balcony is your private area but the railing and floor of the balcony are the property of the apartment complex and your post indicated you cannot mount on their property. The bucket of concrete does not penetrate or damage their property. You might also have problems getting the cable inside, drilling into their walls is usually also prohibited. They do make flat cables for sliding doors if their isn't enough space around doors to slip cable in. :)

I had the same problem. I used an old microwave oven cart. I put wood blocks by the wheels so it would not roll. Balconies were a no-no where I lived. The cart did work very well.

I snaked the wire through the sliding glass door. When I installed my Directv, I was y=the only one in the complex with a dish. B y the time I left, there were about 10 dishes. They all came to see how I had it set up.

i lived in a 2nd floor apt,i used 2 c-clamps to fasten the original mounting hardware to the balcony railing and it worked great.but i think if you go with the bucket/cement set-up you will be much happier and you shouldnt have to have it hanging over the balcony,or some apt. dwellers use a tripod set-up these work well also.as far as the coax you will probably have to go with the flat cable through the door but they work well as long as you dont use your door much i would get a spare if you can find them there very inexpensive,also they may require you to have renters insurance but shouldnt be a problem.hope this helps.i was the onlyone with a dish there until they found out how i did it. goodluck

Thanks for all the help. I actually got the bucket and concrete, but if the installer has a mount that works better i will go that route. I was very interested on how they will install without drilling holes. Never heard of flat coax cable but I am grateful they have that. Last resort I was going to drill holes and plug them up when I move. Apartment should really supply an outlet to run cables through for satellite. Thanks again for all your help and insight

Today is the day!!! I have a 1 to 5 install and of course it is almost 4 o clock here in NC and no word from any installer yet. Even though they cannot drill through the walls I hope the installer does not give me any excuses and has the right equipment to run the line through the sliding door with some flat cable. I actually ordered some but it is not in yet. Question about the over the air, if I want to use an indoor amplified antenna, is this possible and how do I hook it up? Will it work seemless with the TV guide? I live within 10 miles of broadcast towers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts