Appeals Court Finds Echostar in Contempt in TIVO Case

THat's because all it takes is an ounce of possibility for it to take off. Kinda like the JaMarcus Russel enrolled in a Lethargy Addiction clinic rumor. Why would anyone question that. Dish keeps getting punched in the face in court and says 'thank you sir can I have another', the negative outcome is inevitable, the amount and type is just what's being speculated.

They have the patents but wasn't practical for home use. The companies used equipment that consumers couldn't afford back then. So it only made sense to sell to broadcast stations, cable, educational institutions, & commercial video facilities. Avid's licensing is still so high that Adobe (premiere pro) came out with a product that is just as good and much less expensive.
My comment was only tongue in cheek -- hence the LOL at the end. As you said, back then the hardware need was far far too expensive (and likely too complicated) for the consumer.

OK

My comment was only tongue in cheek -- hence the LOL at the end. As you said, back then the hardware need was far far too expensive (and likely too complicated) for the consumer.

I over reacted maybe a tad but was pointing out fact that what those co's did wasn't and still isn't something the general public could use. :D

What a nimrod

TVPredictions today is saying that Dish might have to
turn off 8 million DVR's

I email the certified ID 10 T to start doing research before making statements like that. That the case was only on a limited number of DVR's and not everyone that has ever been produced by E*. That the VIP series has not been included in the suit.

The only thing wrong is how they continue to let dish steal after they were caught doing it.
MAKE them sign and start using tivos....
The moron that made the statement that dish dvr is better than tivo ....NEVER used a tivo.
Hell they stole all the basics from tivo...if you are going to steal, steal it all.
They could have called it a Divo

I have and in my opinion I like the Dish 625 better.:)

It's awesome to have 2-120 minute live buffers!.:D

This item was posted in another thread, but it just proves everything I said about the CEO's "stubborness" costing EchoStar hundreds of millions, if not upwards of a billion dollars, in unfavorable licensing fees...at the expense of shareholders. Instead of paying $1.25 per DVR per months, E* will wind-up paying $3 per month which, in my opinion, will include the ViP Series DVRs. Apparently, E* is being advised by jacmyoung in this matter.:rolleyes:

I hate being right all the time... ;)

From Sky Report

"The TiVo-DISH showdown is looking grim for DISH as Bernstein Research analyst Craig Moffett notes that the No. 2 DBS provider is "now negotiating with the proverbial gun to the head." (Moffett wins our personal vote for most colorful writing by an analyst.) Anyway ... Thanks to its losses in court, DISH is now faced with three options: (1) Shutting down its estimated 7mm to 8mm DVRs (a sure-fire disaster); (2) Replacing those DVRs with non-infringing units (at a cost in the billions plus huge disruptions); or (3) paying the piper (AKA TiVo) pretty much whatever it wants.

As Moffett notes, historical precedents peg DVR licensing fees at $1.00 to $2.25 per month. But, he adds, since DISH now represents the largest untapped pool for TiVo, and with those court judgments in hand, TiVo could push the price far higher. Moffett sees the $2.25/month as the floor for a settlement with a ceiling somewhere in the billions (Moffett's emphasis).

Moffett's revised model for DISH reflects a $3/month DVR licensing fee starting 3Q10."

Well that explains the $3/month premium a DVR has over a non DVR reciever every month (10 vs 7 single and 17 vs 14 dual tuner). So, if this is true, Dish is simply passing on the $3 fee to all its customers. But, they still collect the $6 DVR fee as profit and the extra $7 dual tuner fee as gravy.

This item was posted in another thread, but it just proves everything I said about the CEO's "stubborness" costing EchoStar hundreds of millions, if not upwards of a billion dollars, in unfavorable licensing fees...at the expense of shareholders. Instead of paying $1.25 per DVR per months, E* will wind-up paying $3 per month which, in my opinion, will include the ViP Series DVRs. Apparently, E* is being advised by jacmyoung in this matter.:rolleyes:

And why didn't you include my reply w/ it too?
I saw that comment this morning and thought about putting up here. I didn't cause just like Swami this guy is wrong about the number of units that will be affected. There was no way to contact the guy to get him to correct the amount or that E* is working on having a work around on the units that are affected. It can also be good in that E* may just say that it's time to get rid of all the WA DVR's that are part of suit and start the conversion to all MPEG 4 sooner rather than later.

Well that explains the $3/month premium a DVR has over a non DVR reciever every month (10 vs 7 single and 17 vs 14 dual tuner). So, if this is true, Dish is simply passing on the $3 fee to all its customers. But, they still collect the $6 DVR fee as profit and the extra $7 dual tuner fee as gravy.

On the second DVR(or 2nd receiver) as the first no matter if it's solo or duo is included with your programming package.;)

Guess it's a good thing Charlie is a multibillionare.;)

It there a source that says the VIPs are included?.Last I heard the VIPs were not.:confused:

A different law suit

Guess it's a good thing Charlie is a multibillionare.;)

It there a source that says the VIPs are included?.Last I heard the VIPs were not.:confused:

The VIP's are not part of this that would have to be another law suit to prove that they also infringe. That's why the 7 to 8 M units is bogus since that may be every DVR that E* has ever made.

On the second DVR(or 2nd receiver) as the first no matter if it's solo or duo is included with your programming package.;)

True just 1/2 of the $6 DVR fee would be profit if they had to pay $3 to TiVo. It really looks like Dish decided $3/DVR would be a possible price if they had to pay it and took the equipment price increase just in case.

That Moffett guy AFAIK has NEVER had anything positive to say about E*.

Consider that over the past 2 years, Directv is up 20% and Dish is down 20%, I'd say he's pretty dead on.

DIRECTV Share Price Chart | DTV - Yahoo! Finance

Over 5 years, Directv is up close to 150% and Dish is down about 25%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=...=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

I won't disagree, but Moffett is well-respected analyst for the Cable and Satellite industries.

Again, Moffett clearly knows what he's talking about.

He can't count

Consider that over the past 2 years, Directv is up 20% and Dish is down 20%, I'd say he's pretty dead on.

He can't state the correct amount of DVR's that it would affect. So I have doubts about anything else he reports. I wouldn't trust any thing that he puts out there due to his inaccurate statement of the equipment. He is just taking crap from other statements of other people and quoting it as fact the same as Swami did.

He can't state the correct amount of DVR's that it would affect. So I have doubts about anything else he reports. I wouldn't trust any thing that he puts out there due to his inaccurate statement of the equipment. He is just taking crap from other statements of other people and quoting it as fact the same as Swami did.
I'll have to disagree...unlike Swanni, Craig Moffett gets his information from C-level executives. Mr Moffett built his reputation identifying issues and trends affecting the industry; "things" that impact the bottom-line. The exact number of affected receivers is insignificant at this point...plus, that number will vary greatly if (or should I say when) Tivo moves to incorporate the ViP Series DVRs as being only colorably different. The bottom line, as Mr. Moffett pointed-out, is that Dish Network had many opportunities to license Tivo IP at $1.25 per DVR but, due to the CEO's stubbornness, will most likely be paying $3.00 per each-and-every DVR out there - to include the ViP Series DVRs.

Did this take into accound that Dish shareholders got a spin off shares of Echostar? Dish is now 2 companies when they used to be one. It is a bit more complicated than just looking at "Dish" stock price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)