Apple Announces new iPhone 5

Mike,

If Apple can continue to command premium pricing they can maintain their margins. Their chief competitor is Samsung. I don't think any single Samsung phone sells as much as iPhone, but they have a number of SKUs at various price points.

Apple sort of does this with previous generation phones, but not to the same level.

Apple might have peaked; well know in about 6 months.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

John, the chief competitors to Apple keeps changing every couple months. It's Samsung today, but before that we had Motorola, htc, Nexus, Nokia and the list goes on and on. Latest rumors are RIMM will rise up again with the Blackberry10 to be the next iphone killer.

My daughter and husband stay one iphone generation behind and save lots of money. They just upgraded to 4s now. I did a 2 for 1 swap out ( MyFi and LG env3) which is why I got my wife an iphone5 for $50 and 2 year contract. But I'm sure Apple got the full margin off my upgrade through Verizon. iphone5 normally would have cost me $199.

Don,

You view the downfall as coming from one competitor out of many companies.That's the thing with Android, it isn't any one company.

Samsung is the main competitor because they are actually innovating with unique, differentiated products.

I thought I saw that in an iphone commercial awhile back. Also does panorama stitching. Did you know that?
This has been the battle cry of the top-line Android phones well in advance of iOS 6. I had a similar recollection but I'm questioning it now.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw an iPhone commercial.

Panorama stitching was available on the gen IV iPod Touch, IIRC.

I submit that those who are willing to blow hundreds on a phone are pretty well supplied now and going forward, it will be hard to sell a high profit phone to those who remain. I just bought a touch screen Tracfone with Wi-Fi for under $40 that will reportedly run Google Earth. It's not fancy, but it costs me less than $90/year as a backup to my VOIP service.

While the BB10 sounds awesome, I can't help but think that it is the romance of bygone days that is creating the buzz as opposed to what will be the state of the art at the time it is released.

Don,

You view the downfall as coming from one competitor out of many companies.That's the thing with Android, it isn't any one company.

Samsung is the main competitor because they are actually innovating with unique, differentiated products.

No No No!
LOL! Oh my how we all come complete circle. I was the one who tried to explain that very concept to others several years ago when every one wanted to believe Android was all about one company--Google. Then, nobody would listen to me. But that's OK, I knew eventually others would come around to understanding that.

My point today is that the iphone killer du jour is from Samsung. Being that the main OS world wide is Android and IS spread among so many different device competitors, it's only a matter of time before another brick takes the lead for a few weeks. And, it just may be another model Samsung, but Samsung still will be competing against htc and Motorola, the two main biggies. RIMM, I agree is 'dust in the wind' unless they can recapture the enterprise business they lost while they fiddled around.

The real question remains, how will Apple deal with this? Nobody really knows but the consensus today is a variety of iphone devices to meet every different opinion of what constitutes a right device for each person. Still waiting to see if that theory will come true. This is a huge departure to how Steve Jobs thought. He told everyone what they needed and wanted and if you disagreed, you were "sh*t!" and he told you that quickly before throwing you out of his presence. :D

The real question remains, how will Apple deal with this? Nobody really knows but the consensus today is a variety of iphone devices to meet every different opinion of what constitutes a right device for each person. Still waiting to see if that theory will come true. This is a huge departure to how Steve Jobs thought. He told everyone what they needed and wanted and if you disagreed, you were "sh*t!" and he told you that quickly before throwing you out of his presence. :D
Tim Cook doesn't have the mojo to dismiss the growing competition.

Apple has lots of irons in the fire, but coordinating products on the new millennium time scale isn't something that a company with 86,000 employees can easily accomplish.

Android may be many companies but if they're all rowing in the same direction, others will be swamped in the wake.

You can find someone somewhere saying that for the past 5 years! LOL. But it does sound so authoritative when one more person says it.
You are right there but it will happen. I remember a Bill Gates interview 15 years or so ago. When asked about the long term future of Microsoft, he said someone was going to eat their lunch someday. When asked why?, he said because it always happens. It is good business for the people in charge to milk their legacy business for everything they can get out of it and companies get stale, complacent and risk adverse (Microsoft financed Apple about that time, keeping a competitor alive, probably for antitrust concerns).. My indicator was when Apple announced their new "spaceship" headquarters design, a sure indicator that they are thinking of more things than taking care of the golden goose. My guess is that it will be erosion followed by something out of left field, perhaps lead by the Chinese driving down prices (Huawei for example).

Apple's margins are already creeping southward. If they are serious about moving into the Chinese market with the rumored MATH that will depress margins further.

I thought it was overvalued at it's height since it traded at a much higher PE than their competitirs but this stock may now be looking attractive again.

Mike,

If Apple can continue to command premium pricing they can maintain their margins. Their chief competitor is Samsung. I don't think any single Samsung phone sells as much as iPhone, but they have a number of SKUs at various price points.

Apple sort of does this with previous generation phones, but not to the same level.

Apple might have peaked; well know in about 6 months.

The thing that's killing the stock is lost faith that Tim Cook knows how to manage the money in the company. He needs to get bold on acquisitions or increase the stock buy back or increase the dividend to about 6% or a combination of all three. Jim Cramer suggested Apple buy Amazon but that would be way to aggressive in a single direction and cost nearly all their cash. I favor the diversified approach, Increase the stock buyback, increase the dividend to 5%, and buy Ultra-D, Netflix, and Twitter.
Apple needs a big video media play like Netflix to go with itunes audio. They need an arm in social media like Twitter and they lost their chance to buy Facebook. Finally, they need a very aggressive and innovative move in Apple TV to ignite the faith that Apple is still a paradigm shifter. That could be 4K 3D glasses free TV and Ultra-D has the best technology to date.

Diversifying is what stockholders are supposed to do. When a company diversifies too much, they can lose focus.

Microsoft's model makes more sense from a corporate standpoint: acquire for the technology and scrap the company. Of course from a standpoint of improving the general condition, this is the worst thing for the marketplace.

IBM arguably lost focus so they jettisoned some of their less profitable divisions. Apple probably needs to jettison computers as they don't seem to be able to give them the attention they need as illustrated by the recent decision to stop selling the Mac Pro in the EU rather than bringing it up to environmental code.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cheap-iPhone-Low-Cost-Budget-Home-Button,20829.html

Apple has patented an iPhone without the home button, and the device in question is believed to be the rumored cheaper variant of Cupertino's successful smartphone.

The United States Patent & Trademark Office recently detailed patent No. 8,364,032, which shows an iPhone that has no home button on its face or front-facing camera (a rear-facing camera is included). The device will be made out of a "clear plastic body," according to the filing.

No front camera, plastic body, no home button... A lot of "expensive" features stripped...

I just wonder if they do release a cheap phone if they will come up with a new name to differentiate it from the iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts