Apple Announces new iPhone 5

Given the promo photo I think it's fair to say the iPhone 5 will be there..

iphone-5-event.jpg

If it does have LTE it needs to have significantly longer battery lifew. there are some indications that it will have both but who knows with Apple and I for one would ahve no interest ina phone with LTE but even a shorter battery life than current iphones.

They are supposedly using a die shrink, a thinner LCD process, a longer case (larger screen) smaller dock connector and a nano sim card... All add up to battery savings and more space for a bigger battery to make up for the LTE...

They are supposedly using a die shrink, a thinner LCD process, a longer case (larger screen) smaller dock connector and a nano sim card... All add up to battery savings and more space for a bigger battery to make up for the LTE...

I hope you are right.

If they can get LTE on the iPad then they should have it on the iPhone. Apple barely skated last year when they didn't include LTE on the 4S, but not having it on the 5 when you can get phones for FREE that include LTE is simply inexcusable and I think Apple has had enough time to figure out how to juggle battery life to compensate.

Besides the LTE question I think the only thing we don't know about the iPhone 5 (or New iPhone) is...

Will it blend?

[youtube]ZWP8OUytprE[/youtube]

What do the longer case, smaller dock connector and smaller SIM card have to do with power consumption? A longer case could house a larger battery but that doesn't suggest power savings.

What I do expect to see is a raging case of heartburn for the hundreds of companies that have incompatible dock devices in the channel.

What do the longer case, smaller dock connector and smaller SIM card have to do with power consumption? A longer case could house a larger battery but that doesn't suggest power savings.

What I do expect to see is a raging case of heartburn for the hundreds of companies that have incompatible dock devices in the channel.

The die shrink was power consumption. The other stuff was more space inside the phone for the battery. Kind of like what they did for the new iPad, they put in a larger battery to make up for the retina display and LTE chipset.

If they can get LTE on the iPad then they should have it on the iPhone. Apple barely skated last year when they didn't include LTE on the 4S, but not having it on the 5 when you can get phones for FREE that include LTE is simply inexcusable and I think Apple has had enough time to figure out how to juggle battery life to compensate.

LTE on the iPhone was held up due to the unavailability of a single chip to handle both voice and data. The iPad didn't need that chip.

harshness said:
iZealots don't need technical reasons to buy the latest and greatest. They're overdue for a fix.

Is the name calling necessary? If you don't like their products why do you read about and post in each thread about that product.

That's makes you a troll.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm having to recharge every day now, sometimes more often. And BBC is crashing on me now and then. Maybe no connection, but I'm still hoping this 3GS holds out just a little longer.

So I'll need to move, regardless of features, or hand it over for a new battery.

LTE on the iPhone was held up due to the unavailability of a single chip to handle both voice and data. The iPad didn't need that chip.
I'm not saying the 4S SHOULD have had it IMO, but to the general public it didn't look good that it didn't have it.

I hope the iphone 5 lives up to expectations:

Just saw this bit of speculation-
Millions of Android Users to Buy Apple's iPhone 5
9:58a ET September 5, 2012 (Benzinga)

New research shows that as many as 22 percent of Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) Android users will dump their existing handsets for Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhone 5 when it is released this month.

This and other findings come from TechBargains, which conducted a study asking users about their desire to purchase Apple's next-gen smartphone. While the results are not as revealing as a previous study, they indicate that a significant number of consumers, including those who do not yet own a smartphone, are interested in what the fifth iPhone will have to offer.

In fact, 32 percent of respondents who do not own a smartphone said that they will buy an iPhone 5. Of those buyers, three percent plan to wait in line to buy the device on the day it is released. Another three percent will buy it online as soon as it becomes available. The remaining respondents did not specify when they plan to make a purchase.

An impressive 38 percent of BlackBerry owners plan to abandon Research In Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM) for Apple. When speaking to existing Apple users, the percentage of potential iPhone 5 buyers was even higher. Seventy-four percent of iPhone 4 users, 71 percent of iPhone 3GS users, and 64 percent of iPhone 4S users plan to upgrade.

In total, 1,332 people participated in the study. Of those participants, 45 percent said that they will buy the iPhone 5 when it is released. Those consumers were then asked to select all of the reasons why they want the new smartphone.

Sixty-five percent said that it was because they want to upgrade their current iPhone; 29 percent said that "No phone compares to an iPhone;" 28 percent said they like to purchase the newest products; 14 percent want to switch from an Android device to an iPhone; 11 percent were encouraged by recommendations from family and friends; and seven percent want to own a second iPhone.

This is an interesting time for TechBargains to release its study. We are literally minutes away from the worldwide debut of Nokia's (NYSE: NOK) first Windows Phone 8 device. Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) plans to announce something -- possibly a new smartphone but most likely a new tablet -- this Thursday. Apple, meanwhile, will officially unveil the iPhone 5 on September 12.

Let the frenzy begin!

Its gonna be expensive for those of us currently in contracts. I doubt the wireless carriers will make an exception like AT&T did when the 3GS came out and allowed those with a 3G that got them the year prior to upgrade early.

The battery in my 4S is showing signs of not holding a charge like it did when I first got it but that's to be expected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)