Apple, AT&T Rumored As Possible Buyers of Time Warner

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Apple-ATT-Rumored-As-Possible-Buyers-of-Time-Warner-136066

Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes says the company isn't keen on spinning off or selling HBO, but it would consider a sale of Time Warner itself to the right suitor. According to the New York Post, Bewkes made the comments in a series of closed-door meetings with investors on Monday. Names being bandied about as potential buyers of the giant media empire include Amazon, AT&T and Apple.

The Post claims Apple is particularly interested, as an acquisition could help fuel the company's perpetually stalled video streaming service stuck in neutral thanks to broadcaster licensing disputes:quote:Apple is eyeing Time Warner’s assets to ease the launch of a stand-alone streaming TV service, a senior tech insider suggested on Tuesday. Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple has struggled to create a skinny bundle of programming from existing content partners. A deal with Time Warner would give Apple most of what it needs: CNN news, Turner Sports and such hugely popular shows as “Game of Thrones” and “Sesame Street” from HBO — not to mention Warner Bros. movies and TV shows.Granted broadband companies like AT&T and Verizon shouldn't be ruled out. Facing slowed broadband growth and declining TV revenues, many broadband ISPs have been jumping into the content business to grow further, as exemplified by Verizon's $4.4 billion acquisition of AOL, and Comcast's $500 million investment in Buzzfeed and Vox. AT&T and Verizon are names that have also been tossed around as potential suitors for Yahoo.

Acquiring Time Warner would be one way for broadband ISPs and cable operators to control HBO's disruptive over the top impact on their legacy TV empires.

Some people think that time warner cable is still part of the time warner empire because of the name, when in fact time warner cable was spun off from time warner back in 2009.

Where is there anything about AT&T merging with Time Warner Cable? It's Time Warner Inc, that's in question not Time Warner Cable. The article has nothing to do with TWC. As Ckhalil said, TWC was spun off 5 or 6 years ago

Oh, okay. I stand corrected. That's different. I thought this was referring to Time Warner Cable, and I figured regulatory approval for that would be a long shot. Would a potential merger with Time Warner make it possible for AT&T to add some of the regional news / sports Time Warner channels, or are those a part of Time Warner Cable? Not sure, but I'm just curious.

Oh, okay. I stand corrected. That's different. I thought this was referring to Time Warner Cable, and I figured regulatory approval for that would be a long shot. Would a potential merger with Time Warner make it possible for AT&T to add some of the regional news / sports Time Warner channels, or are those a part of Time Warner Cable? Not sure, but I'm just curious.
i have brighthouse and we have both of the time warner la sports channels.

Are those the ones that are already on DirecTV, including a Spanish version? If so, I was referring to the ones that are on the HD Comparison chart that look like they are rather limited to Time Warner Cable subs right now.

The three major Time Warner Cable Sports Net channels, TWC Sports Net, TWC Deportes (Lakers & Galaxy) and SportsNet LA (Dodgers) are owned by Time Warner Cable. Along with a handful of lower budget regional sports channels, simply branded Time Warner Sports Channel that are cable only. And without looking it up, I believe it's TWC not TW Inc that owns roughly a quarter of SNY, the channel that carries the NY Mets. NY 1 and the rest of the Time Warner Cable News channels are also owned by TWC.

Time Warner Inc, is the parent company of HBO/MAX, CNN, Turner, Cartoon Network and half of the CW

Where is there anything about AT&T merging with Time Warner Cable? It's Time Warner Inc, that's in question not Time Warner Cable. The article has nothing to do with TWC. As Ckhalil said, TWC was spun off 5 or 6 years ago
lol, I thought it was for TWC, when I read it on the front page, I never knew they split from Time Warner. Knows how much I know but I haven't had their TV service since 2006, only their internet/phone since like 2012.

And that's exactly what the clowns at DSL Reports want you to think. They make no effort in their biased editorials to differentiate between TWC and TW Inc, in hopes to stir up a frenzy over their usual anti corporate agenda by making it sounds like one thing happens when it's in fact something totally different.

Reactions: Troch77
And that's exactly what the clowns at DSL Reports want you to think. They make no effort in their biased editorials to differentiate between TWC and TW Inc, in hopes to stir up a frenzy over their usual anti corporate agenda by making it sounds like one thing happens when it's in fact something totally different.
Dsl Reports as I've said many times are Clowns.
We shouldn't even be a loud to post this crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: EarDemon
Exactly. I've always equated their headlines with a statement like if 'Cubs win Championship' were to appear on espn.com. Yes, I'm sure somewhere some high school, peewee, DIV III or old timers team called the Cubs in some sport be it baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball or curling has won some sort of championship, but we all know it's the headlines that generate the clicks not the details of the story.

NY Post: AT&T Is Eyeing Time Warner Buy

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/NY-Post-ATT-Is-Eyeing-Time-Warner-Buy-136153

AT&T is considering acquiring some or all of Time Warner, according to a report by the New York Post. AT&T has been circulated as a potential suitor since Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes made it clear the media giant might be looking for a buyer, but Time Warner has stated the company isn't interested in selling parts of the company (like HBO) standalone. AT&T may be looking to counter Verizon's $4.4 billion acquisition of AOL, which the paper says may be followed by an acquisition of Yahoo:quote:We also hear that Yahoo! bosses have not been responding to proposals from at least one private equity firm. Meanwhile, my colleague Josh Kosman hears rumors that Verizon already put a very generous $8 billion bid on the table for core Yahoo! assets. Verizon has made no secret of its desire for the digital giant.Other reports have suggested Yahoo has had second thoughts about a sale. As for an AT&T Time Warner buy, such a sizable deal may be too much, too soon for a company that just got done spending $69 billion to acquire DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)