Apple Car Play

You are missing the main point. You are confusing maps with navigation. Okay the question is does your radio have a gps chip.
Also as for video, may car can watch Video unless it moving. I will also repeat this. CarPlay has it own os, which is different then iPhone. This means that all the app must be rewritten to be used. However if you want to think that apple is protecting you, instead of their pockets, that okay.

And as for CarPlay, good concept, poor product.
Remember the person want real good information, pro and con on CarPlay, not just apple BS.

Example. Does CarPlay sort maps?, can it creat routes with no cell service? Do you need cell service?

I don't think I'm the one that's confused. You keep making definitive statements, like you have to pay more to use navigation even though people who actually use CarPlay on a regular basis are telling you that is not correct.

I guess I don't know what you mean when you say that I'm confusing maps with navigation. I can tell you that I use the Apple Maps CarPlay app for turn by turn navigation all the time. CarPlay is communicating with my iPhone that is plugged in via USB to get the map data and GPS signal from the phone. It works the exact same way as the Apple Maps app works natively on the phone. It just moves the map display over to the car's touch screen and sends the audio through the car speakers. My vehicle does not have navigation built in. I can only get navigation if I plug my phone in via USB and use CarPlay.

I don't understand what you mean when you ask if it sorts maps. I've never tried to create a route with no cell service but I'm sure it would not work because that doesn't work with the Apple Maps app on my phone either. That is an advantage for using navigation built into the car instead of CarPlay but I drive in areas with zero cell signal maybe a few times per year. Certainly not often enough to justify bumping up to the next trim level of the Equinox a few thousand dollars just to have built in GPS navigation. CarPlay navigation through Apple Maps works just as well for the areas I drive and it's free.

I don't understand what you mean when you ask if it sorts maps. I've never tried to create a route with no cell service but I'm sure it would not work because that doesn't work with the Apple Maps app on my phone either.

Don't know what sort maps is either. I did try to create Apple Maps nav to destination without internet connection and it doesn't work. The salesman at Toyota tried to tell me that Apple will download the maps to the phone and if you have no internet it will still work. So we sat in the demo car and tried it and he was proven wrong! :)

I did some research later in the day to see what my options were if I was out of LTE area and TomTom and CoPilot were the only Nav maps that will work with downloaded maps and work without any internet connection. Set it up, when you are connected at home with fast wifi and then if you get out where you lose LTE and your car play navigation, you'll have TomTom or CoPilot to fall back on. But I'm sure your car will not display either on your car screen. These work in Airplane mode. The downside besides not being able to display on your car screen, is that the maps data base is huge. It will chew up large GB's on your phone. Minimum of 128GB if you download the entire North America as that will consume nearly half of your storage. TomTom is a subscription service that allows free use for up to 49 miles of navigation per trip. But is cheap at $17.99 unlimited distance for a year. CoPilot also is good but like TomTom the maps will eat up your storage. I loaded both on my iphone. CoPilot has Traffic you can add for $10.