Apple iPhone 5s vs 5c on launch weekend: flagship outsells plastic by a factor of three

I think the 5C is overpriced. Why not spend the extra $100 to get the latest and greatest? That's what I would have done too but am still happy with the 5. I bet their margins are higher on the 5S so they don't mind.

The bigger news is that they sold 3M each day since launch. Blows away all prior initial sales. And Wall Street seems happy with that too. But this time I'm not one of them… as we wait a few months… patiently.. grrr… :)

I went to the Apple store and played with the 5S.

It didn't impress me, but I did have fun playing with the Fingerprint reader.

?I still can't decided if its worth upgrading from the 5 to the 5S or not.

If I had the 5 I wouldn't upgrade, Scott. However coming from the 3GS I held onto for 4 years the 5S is lightyears more advanced which is why I decided to upgrade. Having the 3GS as EOL for upgrades also factored in since the phone was otherwise working flawlessly.

I went to the Apple store and played with the 5S.

It didn't impress me, but I did have fun playing with the Fingerprint reader.

?I still can't decided if its worth upgrading from the 5 to the 5S or not.

If it didnt impress you then I would think that you answered your own question.

It was snappier as far as speed goes, but at the moment there is only one app that runs at 64 Bit to take advantage of that speed.

?Over time the support will get better as more programs are made 64 bit.

Amazing numbers. So where are all those experts now? In denial. The iphone lives on and we haven't even seen the Chinese numbers yet.

It was snappier as far as speed goes, but at the moment there is only one app that runs at 64 Bit to take advantage of that speed.

?Over time the support will get better as more programs are made 64 bit.

I put my friends 5S and my 5 next to each other, both with the camera on, and was kind of impressed just by what I was seeing looking through the "viewfinder" (i.e., the screen).

My son has now informed me he wants a 5S for his birthday instead of a guitar. He says I can trade in his 4S. I might do that. :)

Claims are that the fingerprint reader has already been hacked. Buzzfeed links to a video showing the hack. True or not? Too soon to tell, but the method is similar to attacks on other fingerprint sensors.

On a more humorous note, someone has demonstrated that dog and cat paws work as well. That isn't a hack, and who knows maybe it is more secure :D

None of this surprises me.

Last edited:
rocky:

I'm selling my wife's 4s and using it to help fund a 27" monitor ;)

Well, my kid is going to be quite disappointed. I thought we had two devices eligible, but we only have one. And thus, I am NOT giving up my upgrade for him, if that means I don't get one until next June. So, he can get my iPhone 5 (but not a new 5S), but until he is paying the monthly bill, he doesn't get the lone upgrade. Indeed, if anyone should get it, it is my wife. But she could care less, and is totally happy with her iPhone 4S.

That said, when I do upgrade, I will trade in his 4S, to get some money towards the phone. The frustrating part is I could basically trade in my 5, and walk out with a new 5S for no cost (Apple says my 5/32GB is worth $319). But if I do that, he does not get the 5. Oh well, I'll go back to my earlier plan of waiting a couple months. :)

Breaking News, today- According to Piper Jaffray analyst, the 9M sales figure for the weekend including Friday sales is not an accurate number. It includes "Channel Fill" sales. These are iphones that are sold to retail outlets for inventory fills and future end user sales. According to them it represents 3.5M phones sold but not activated as they are not yet delivered to end users. Therefore only 5.5M iphone 5C and 5S haver been activated for use. While the 9M number represents phones sold by Apple, only 5.5M iphones have been delivered to end users. They made no estimate on the spread between 5c and 5s. Nor, did they estimate how many customers are upgrades vs. new Apple iphone users.

Breaking News, today- According to Piper Jaffray analyst, the 9M sales figure for the weekend including Friday sales is not an accurate number. It includes "Channel Fill" sales. These are iphones that are sold to retail outlets for inventory fills and future end user sales. According to them it represents 3.5M phones sold but not activated as they are not yet delivered to end users. Therefore only 5.5M iphone 5C and 5S haver been activated for use. While the 9M number represents phones sold by Apple, only 5.5M iphones have been delivered to end users. They made no estimate on the spread between 5c and 5s. Nor, did they estimate how many customers are upgrades vs. new Apple iphone users.

Actually, this is exactly how Apple has always reported sales. The only difference this time around is that they made enough phones that everyone may not have sold out on the opening weekend.

"Flagship outsells plastic by..." ?
My local store sold all 3 5S's he had, versus NO 5c's! ;)
(first three days)
?(no pre-orders)
?.

Well, My wife got her 5C today. She had a 5, and was not even going to upgrade this go round, but she liked the color combos that were available between the phones and the cases that apple is selling. The same specs were a non factor for her, and honestly, between the two off paper, I didnt see that much of a difference either.

Anyway, she is happy now, so I guess I am too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)