Apple losses are Google gains

When looking at the world market (as opposed to the US), RIM is doing not as shabby as it might look
Smartphone news: RIM gains 1m in Europe, while Nokia's N9 gets limited release | Technology | guardian.co.uk
For RIM, it's swings and roundabouts: after our analysis showing that RIM lost 1m BlackBerry users in the US in the past three months,
the company has announced that it has gained 1m users in Europe in just the past three weeks.

The more likely you actually have to do something, the less likely you'll chose the shiny fruity toys...:)

Diogen.

To continue the RIM story and European smartphone market in general
BlackBerry still hugely popular in UK, market figures show - Techworld.com

In UK Android has a bigger marketshare (45%) than RIM and Apple combined (22+18=40%).

One interesting aside is the success of Samsung’s little-discussed Bada operating system.
This is almost non-existent in the UK, Spain and the US but has attracted a surprisingly large following in Germany, France and Italy...

Diogen.

IDG polled almost 14,000 people in 16 countries regarding smartphone and tablet issues
IDG Global Survey Shows Smartphone Use Growing Rapidly with Regional Differences | Business Wire
(the poll was not representative of the population in genearl so can't be extrapolated).

Some poll results:
- at least 2/3 have a smartphone;
- Apple, RIM, Nokia, Sony and Samsung are the main players;
- GPS is the most used feature of the phone;
- apps popularity: news, social, gaming, IT news.
- 1/5 has a tablet; Apple has 80% and Samsung 9% of this market;
- 2/3 share their tablet with others (colleagues, family);
- 472M smartphones are expected to ship in 2011 with Android running 40% of them.

Diogen.

Another "What smartphone will I buy in the next 90 days?" poll (over 4,000 people, mostly US)
iOS, Android catching buyers' eyes while Blackberry suffers

changewave_june2011-4e24510-intro.gif

The most interesting part of this graph: Android was always losing to iOS since January 08, i.e. since introduction.
(One point blip in March'10, within error bars most likely). At the same time it is the dominating smartphone OS in all markets by now...

Doesn't really mean the results are "bought" (historical results going back over 3 years rarely are).
Can happen for many reasons:
- only those that have plans for the next three months are polled;
- people change their minds (especially as mood driven gang as Apple users);
- country of the polled: RIM is doing miserable in NA and just fine in the UK;
etc.

Diogen.

Just to underscore how "scientific" smartphone OS numbers could be
Comscore: Android's UK market share explodes as Apple overtakes Symbian -- Engadget

UK-Smartphone-Growth1.png

while just 10 days ago (see post 162 above) Android was bigger than Apple and RIM combined. Go figure.

Anyway, Android jumped some 7 times in the UK over the last year, mostly due to the smartphone share explosion (42% vs. 27%).

One definite conclusion that can be drawn: those 11% of non-US smartphone "wanna-have" about desirability (see post above) were not from the UK...

Diogen.

Well this quarter there will be one, possibly two, additional Android activation, thanks to me. I did my good deed for the week this past Sunday and talked a friend out of the iPhone and convinced her to switch to Sprint and get an Evo 3D. She had four months left to go on her contract with Verizon and had no problem with paying the ETF, that’s how much she loved Android at first sight and wanted off of Verizon. She was looking at going with AT&T and the iPhone, but all I had to do was take her to an AT&T Store, let her play with the iPhone for a few minutes then give her my Evo 3D. The decision was very easy for her to make. And guess what? I’m working on #2 right now. A buddy of mine had Sprint, when to Verizon, now is interested in an Android phone on Sprint. Over the years, I’ve talked 10 people into dumping their satellite dishes and switching to Time Warner Cable, now if I could just get 10 Sprint and Android converts, I’ll die feeling like I truly made a positive impact on the planet.

I own some stock in both Apple and Google. I see no losers in either one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Same here. But , I was worried about Google for quite some time. Even Apple had taken a dip in stock price recently, giving me an opportunity to buy in again at $320. I just sold it when it went over $400 and hoping it will dip a bit more with the current market fears of the budget circus in Washington. Google has now recovered and is on the way up. I don't know if I will sell some off or not but my average is well below $400/share so I'm good. Thing is nothing matters to Google stock price with Android sales. Doesn't hurt the image being #1 with Android but that position adds very little to the company's revenue stream. What hurt Google was it's own decision to give up the China market to Baidu. What hurts Apple is not exceeding analyst's estimates by as big enough margin. In the most recent Apple earning report ( record high EPS ), Apple stock never fell off like it did in previous qtr reports but instead skyrocketed still higher. This caught me by surprise and I'm having to rethink my trade strategy on Apple. Apple is doing so well it is said to be a $500 stock by next year. Currently high at $405.
Conclusion- When it comes to stock price, the unit numbers don't mean squat. It's how those numbers translate to profits combined with the general mood of the world economy that impacts that price.
Some people like to feel good by being on the side of the biggest group. I prefer to get a good feeling when I use a phone that does what I need it to do and when the company I trade makes me some serious money. They don't have to be the same.

Last edited:
Over the years, I’ve talked 10 people into dumping their satellite dishes and switching to Time Warner Cable, now if I could just get 10 Sprint and Android converts, I’ll die feeling like I truly made a positive impact on the planet.

:eek::haha:haha:haha

LMAO, this is honestly, one of the funniest things I have read on here....ever. Comedy gold!

Yes, it is pretty funny. I thought evangelicals were the only ones like that, trying to convert everyone to love Jesus. But this sounds like the same ordeal, just replace Jesus with Sprint and Android.

Yes, it is pretty funny. I thought evangelicals were the only ones like that, trying to convert everyone to love Jesus. But this sounds like the same ordeal, just replace Jesus with Sprint and Android.

Come to the Church of Android! Repent Satan! - take your evil iPhone and rot in hell sinner! :D

Just doing my part to let people know they have other, and in many instances better, options that they never considered before.

Andriodvangelist...I like it!

diogen said:
This was quarter ending in January...

this is second quarter 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/nielsen-android-leads-us-smartphone-market-with-39-percent-shar/

No comments really needed...

Diogen.

Sure there is. Apple is by far the single largest manufacturer, with a lot of android manufacturers with a bigger piece of the pie, but Apple increased its share, it did not decrease. Apple is the single largest manufacturer, and satisfaction surveys show that Apple iOS users are far more satisfied than Android ones.

Yes, there is a very healthy competition, but this does not show "Apple Losses" - it shows Apple holding steady with a marginal 1% increase, and Android gaining from ALL OTHER operating systems (7% of the 10% coming from RIM).

Steve Meh's single-minded mission to the contrary, the data simply does not show "Apple losses, Android gains"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)