Apple Vision Pro Gets a Release Date

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
February 2, pre orders start on 1/19.

Only $3499, who will be the first here to get one?

I have the Oculus, used it twice, both times my Labs went bat **** crazy on me when wearing it.

I love my toys, if maybe around $1000, I would think about it, but at $3500………a big no.

My bet is Ilya or Don Landis.

I would spend up to $1500 for it, but not $3500. (Plus since I wear glasses I need the $99 add on)

I would spend up to $1500 for it, but not $3500. (Plus since I wear glasses I need the $99 add on)
Same, I can afford it, but at that price it is just not worth it, I would maybe do $1600 (with the lens add on).

The advertised price is the same as my Anthem Audio Processor, I get a lot more value out of it, then this thing.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Pikers! I’m gonna get 2, one for me and one for SWMBO.

Oh, WAIT! We have absolutely no use for such a device.

• Haha
Reactions: TheForce
Pikers! I’m gonna get 2, one for me and one for SWMBO.

Oh, WAIT! We have absolutely no use for such a device.
Same for the Oculus with me, total waste, but no where near the expense of the extremely overpriced model from Apple.

Reactions: navychop
The number of apps you might expect to be available on this platform is dwindling by the day now that release date is inching closer.

• Wow
Reactions: harshness
They sold out. I'm surprised!

The only compelling feature of this over my Meta Quest 3 is the image quality they claim is supposed to be superior to the Meta Quest 3. I eagerly wait to see the reviews in February and then check it out in the store. But now the details are confirmed here's why I won't be buying the Apple Vision Pro:

What I don't like:
  • The cable fed battery
  • No apps worth mentioning.
  • No controllers, so most games won't work.
  • I'm a solo HMD user and AVP has lots of tech to make it group friendly

I'll be in the market for the glasses for augmented reality if they ever get them working well to replace the iphone. But for VR and Mixed reality, the main market is for VR gaming and the Apple Vision Pro is not meant for that.
The number of apps you might expect to be available on this platform is dwindling by the day now that release date is inching closer.

Now that makes no sense as one of the features of the AVP is watching movies in very large virtual screen and in 4K HDR quality. There must be some hidden reason why they would not be eager to work on AVP. I have these apps on the Meta Quest 3 and while the image quality is nowhere near my HT Sony VPL: VW715 in 3D or 2D. It's certainly watchable. So it must be some Apple business requirement they didn't agree to.

Reactions: Foxbat

If the AVP sold for $100 less than I paid for the Meta Quest 3, I'd still pick the Meta Quest 3 over AVP. The library of apps on the MQ3 is huge compared to none really on the AVP. I have over 100 games loaded and I'd rather put it on and play than go to my XBOX or Playstation.

If I lost my Home Theater then I would probably buy two to replace it if the image quality is as good as they claim.

Now that makes no sense as one of the features of the AVP is watching movies in very large virtual screen and in 4K HDR quality. There must be some hidden reason why they would not be eager to work on AVP. I have these apps on the Meta Quest 3 and while the image quality is nowhere near my HT Sony VPL: VW715 in 3D or 2D. It's certainly watchable. So it must be some Apple business requirement they didn't agree to.

Most of them are direct competitors to other Apple services.

Most of them are direct competitors to other Apple services.
But they have apps on other Apple services as well. I don't think that's the issue. Maybe Apple wanted some sort of additional revenue sharing deal for the AVP that they already pay for other Apple device use.

Eventually well know what the reason was. While I have no intention of buying one, it's too bad because this is one of the few applications many will want to use the AVP for.

Since I'm not eager to get one at that price I will just wait for the official reason out of curiosity.
Don't assume that Apple will offer an "official reason". In this case, they simply modified the specification page.

This was the original text:
AVP tech specs said:
Video Mirroring

Up to 1080p AirPlay for mirroring your view in Apple Vision Pro to any AirPlay‑enabled device, including iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV (2nd generation or later), or AirPlay‑enabled smart TV

I'm not sure this news bit is what it purports to be. The spec seems to speak to AirPlay from the AVP but if the apps aren't there (other than ATV+), the mirroring is going to have to go the other direction.

I see the resolution now shows 720P, not 1080P but that is usually OK on a small screen like an ipad the largest. doe ATV+, disappointing for sure.

Air Play is not the same thing as playing YT or Netflix from an app. Air Play is similar to what Meta Quest has called casting which will cast to iphone, computer, ipad with wifi on the same network. For a month, Meta discontinued it but due to loud outcry from the users they reinstated it. I used it to monitor my grandkids game play and offer suggestions when they got stuck. Others use it to save video of their game play to post on You Tube.

As I understand AVP owners will still have access to these services, just not yet sure what it will be like without a dedicated app. In Meta Quest 3 I can use the app to watch 3D VR in You Tube. In a browser, I can only watch 3D SBS or TB format on a screen. Not the same.

We'll know more when the reviewers get delivery in February. That's about as official as I expect.

I can't imagine that anyone who owns an AVP wouldn't already have TVs fully equipped with streaming apps/devices.

Why would you choose to cast from the AVP (especially given the paucity of apps)?

I was thinking about buying one but the 2 hour battery turned me off. I thought the whole point of a tethered battery was so they could give it reasonable battery life without it being too heavy on your head. This might be the first Apple product that is a true V1 and to wait for V2, which i would not be surprised comes less than a year later.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheForce
I see the resolution now shows 720P, not 1080P but that is usually OK on a small screen like an ipad the largest. doe ATV+, disappointing for sure.
My ipad pro is 2388 by 1668 with HDR, so not 4K, but better then 1080P.