Apple Vision Pro Gets a Release Date

So this may open up possible used ones by Apple at some point in the future.
I expect there will be Vision Pro refurbished units at some point. Just as good as brand new, same warranty and support, but at a lower price.

Reactions: TheForce
If you wear contacts, I gather the corrective lenses are unnecessary.​
I thought Apple discouraged wearing contacts due to the eye tracking and iris recognition.
Oops, I was wrong. It depends on the kind of contacts you wear. From the Apple Vision Pro support site:

If you wear contact lenses​

If you use single vision soft prescription contact lenses, you can use Apple Vision Pro without ZEISS Optical Inserts — Prescription.
  • If you use hard contact lenses, it might impact your experience with Apple Vision Pro. If you experience difficulty with eye tracking, and your eye care provider has indicated that eye glasses with a comprehensive prescription is an option for you, then you may consider ordering ZEISS Optical Inserts. Otherwise, you may use an alternate form of input such as Pointer Control.
  • Cosmetic contact lenses are not compatible with Apple Vision Pro and should be removed before using the device.
  • If you typically use reading glasses in conjunction with your prescription contact lenses, you may benefit from using ZEISS Optical Inserts — Readers in conjunction with your contact lenses.

Reactions: navychop
Many thanks. I wear bifocal contacts, but still need reading glasses sometimes.

NBD. Not likely to buy Apple goggles or any others. I’m not a gamer, and see little else in them of value.

Odd to note you can’t watch a movie while walking or presumably, riding, but there’s hints you could while FLYING. inconsistent.

I should have fallen asleep hours ago, but am wide awake.

Reactions: Foxbat
I’m curious what my prescription that includes astigmatism correction would mean for my use of AVP?

I’m curious what my prescription that includes astigmatism correction would mean for my use of AVP?
Best way is to go to the Apple store and schedule the demo. They are really doing a good job of working with people to make the best possible experience possible with the AVP.

Meet Kevin has a great review mostly from a computer desktop replacement if that is what you want to use it for.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJxfOrGIPw

If you have toroidal lenses that are "weighted" (thicker at the bottom) to insure the proper orientation, I reason that might cause some odd light bending.

Those who have reasoned that the "front glass" is why the AVP is so front heavy were wrong. Turns out that the glass is rather thin and has very scratchable laminate on both sides.

It likely has more to do with the weight of the "turbofans" and other components.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcWMjBpYBU

As it turns out, the battery cable is replaceable but it requires a "special" lightning-like cable.

Others have demonstrated extending the battery life with a USB-C charging cable, so that’s nice.

Also, it didn’t take long before the Google Glassholes came out and did stupid things with the Apple Vision Pro, like driving a car (including a Cybertruck) while wearing the AVP. Our old mayor even had to weigh in.;)

If you have toroidal lenses that are "weighted" (thicker at the bottom) to insure the proper orientation, I reason that might cause some odd light bending.
I had to stop wearing contacts due to the coronal scarring I have from doing stoopid things as a kid. This contributes to my astigmatism.

I can now confirm that if you own an iphone 15 pro or Pro max you don't need the Apple Vision Pro to view the spatial 3D video. It's been rumored for a couple months now that the Meta Quest can also view these recordings that use a proprietary 3D format but it seems only the Meta beta testers were able to make the claim. Then back in November there was an app that would convert the iphone 15 3D video files to side by side 3D thaty could be transferred to a cloud server like Dropbox and then transferred eventually to the Meta Quest but it was a long process of file transfers.
Then Meta announced a new software version V62 in December that would do the conversion in the iphone with a new version V252 of the Oculus iphone app but it was buggy. They released another version V253 that fixed some of the bugs. I got both updates but still could not view my 3D clips on the Meta Quest 3. The main problem I believe was the Oculus app was missing a folder including the 3D sample videos. Last night after several days of failed efforts, I decided to leave the Meta Quest 3 on and in standby mode on the charger overnight. This morning I checked the Files app on the Quest and it now had a folder with a half dozen clips that played in 3D. They all showed up, in a new folder that was missing before. I went to the iphone and copied and pasted the clips I shot recently into the Oculus app Gallery section where it also had the missing 3D Spatial video folder and they dropped in. I then tapped the upload icon and these were sent to my Meta Quest 3. They played just fine.
There are two time consuming steps. One is where the clip is rendered to a 3D Spatial video using it's hidden meta data, and next the time to upload to the Quest for viewing.

There is also a way Meta announced that I can shoot 3D Spatial video of what is displayed in the Quest but haven't had time to test that out yet.

Went by the Apple store yesterday and saw there still was a line of people waiting to try the AVP. While sales appear to be going well for those who go through the demo process, knowing the price before, I'm hearing a number of people after purchasing and taking one home are having buyer's remorse. Seems they realize that it isn't as great as they thought because they just don't seem using it often enough to justify the $4000 price most are laying out for the $3500 base plus extras and sales tax.

Apple has a 30 day refundable return policy. I predict this will be a huge mistake on Apple's part. One buyer on YT said he can see using it for when he is on a plane but plans to return his and wait for the price to drop before buying one again, even a used one. Some with money to burn will buy one and just sit it on a shelf and never use it. The key is how often will you use and enjoy what it does. I am happy with my Meta Quest 3 which may not be as high resolution but it does much more that I enjoy than the AVP can do. I may not like Mark Suckerberg but I do like that he bought Oculus and threw his wealth from Facebook into this for such a great affordable price it really does everything that AVP can do except the claimed higher quality. I will render that final judgement when the crowds die down for a demo in store and do my personal comparison then.

I inherited what I think is a “pretty nice” telescope, but never used it.

But I can go into the boonies and look up and be happy.

Too many hobbies, too many potential hobbies. Too few lives.

But I can go into the boonies and look up and be happy.
If you're not interested in specifically what your seeing or where to look for something, then a planetarium application isn't in the cards.

I use the free and most excellent Stellarium application several times a year to figure out where to look for comets and similar.

I saw Moog has a Vision Pro native app (Animoog Galaxy) that lets you use your Vision Pro to create music.
I'm not sure what part of the video includes anything that could be considered "music".

It is hard to describe because it doesn't seem to do anything that most musicians could relate to.