Apple's App Store Most Profitable for Developers According to New Study

Doesn't mean they failed. If they develop and OS after the leader at the time already has a foothold on the market and then a few years later surpasses the former leader, that is not a definition of failure. They may make a wide range of products from very cheep to very good, but they are still profiting and growing. That does not a failure make.

Keep in mind that I have Android and iOS products, and prefer iOS much more over Android. I can still acknowledge the fact that they are in no way a failure.

Android is NOT a failure; the android market is. As a direct consequence of the open-nature of it that everyone claims to love.

The next couple of years will be very interesting for Android.

At work, I now only buy iPhones (or simple phones). Bought one Android and have to support a couple of personally owned ones. Simple to set up with Exchange - but each phone has a different way of doing it. Better to simplify and maintain consistency. BTW, I will help with iPhone apps, but decline to do any support for the Androids beyond getting them e-mail/contacts/calendar.

When you're allowed only one channel to distribute software your company develops for a particular device, 30% is mafia skim. Why do you think so many companies were trying to make sales outside of the Apple App Store?

Heck, I can sell software for OS X through the App Store, other distributors, or directly, but not for iOS devices.

Oh, and I have been a developer for years.

Thats because the phones are cheap and in many cases now... free.

So solutions from a variety of manufacturers, with different capabilities at a variety of price points is bad? That's as opposed to the limited iPhone choices that start at $200?

Price is part of the equation.

If they clamped down and weeded out the junk from the good apps people could see how good android really is. But when they download a few free apps and they all suck people think that all the Android apps are like that which we all know is not the case.

That defeats the open atmosphere they are trying to cultivate.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Android is NOT a failure; the android market is. As a direct consequence of the open-nature of it that everyone claims to love.

If revenue is your arbiter of success/failure then that's possible. Otherwise, I'd say by number of downloads and available applications they are definitely succeeding.

Cheers,

Does this account for all the money that people make on ads in android...for example at apple Angry birds space is .99 or 3.99 I believe (for the ipad, which pisses me off as I bought it for 3.99 and it also wanted me to pay .99 for it on my iphone, wait what the?) now for my galaxy nexus its free, and for android tablets its free as well...and the reason its free is because it has ads, which I dont mind...so my questions being is this comparing JUST what the make from the stores, or does it have ALL revenue generated by the app (in app purchases, Ad money etc.)

If revenue is your arbiter of success/failure then that's possible. Otherwise, I'd say by number of downloads and available applications they are definitely succeeding.

Cheers,

Nope, not about revenue; about crap apps, making it hard to identify the good ones.

Nope, not about revenue; about crap apps, making it hard to identify the good ones.
Exactly, its why the Amazon Google Store is doing GREAT, while the Google Marketplace itself (now Google Play) is a failure.

That is the point I am trying to make.

I am not trying to put the Andriod platform down at all, I use both Android and iOS. I am just saying my feelings on why this study shows what it shows and why.

Ratings is what helps me decide. Usually works although a few times I have wondered why app X was highly rated.

There are plenty of crap apps on iOS as well. Case in point, how many fart apps are there?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Is Google play a failure though?

I haven't seen numbers either way but I doubt it's a failure.

The point of view of the article is all revenue based, and I'm not surprised Apple wins the direct revenue game. However some very popular games like words with friends were/are pay on apple but free (with ads) on Android.

Scott,

I f money is the only arb iter of success, yes apple is more lucrative.

Imo , its not the only one. Number of downloads and average number of downloads per app are measures of success as will.

I think we "see" what we want to see. Like what Todd Smith said when he went to Philadelphia a few months ago.

A year ago, I saw a lot more android phones on campus. Today it is iPhone everywhere, now that Verizon and sprint have it, people are swapping out daily. Witness that 50% of the phones VZW sells are iPhones, and the other half is split by 16 other devices.

But the point about the market not having quality controls is valid. The apple app store has its critics but it's not a bad thing to have some oversight. Does not mean there aren't crap apps, but it is better than the alternative.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I certainly didn't want to see a bunch of iphones but yet I did. Now I see nothing but androids hitting the desks for setup. I find their setup for exchange the same as iphone. Nothing really different.

I think it has something to do with this area being a 90%+ AT&T area. I never see TMobile. Rarely see Sprint or Verizon. ATT customers sailed the iphone ship already and were ready for something better. The VZW and Sprint customers are just getting their taste and don't know any better about the phone.

But all in all our choice is always going to be better than someone elses no matter how much we beat it to death.

I am a cheapo and squeak when I walk so android on sprint sero plan fits my pocket perfectly.

I will say the cell south (now Cspire) kept the area flush in good android devices for quite some time. So there were good choices, and there were the big carriers , although most in our atate went with cell south. Just when Cspire got the iPhone , many/most swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Exactly, its why the Amazon Google Store is doing GREAT, while the Google Marketplace itself (now Google Play) is a failure.

That is the point I am trying to make.

I am not trying to put the Andriod platform down at all, I use both Android and iOS. I am just saying my feelings on why this study shows what it shows and why.

Google Makes More per iOS Device Than Android Devices

http://modmyi.com/content/7375-asymco-google-makes-more-per-ios-device-than-android-devices.html
Horace Dediu of Asymco has pointed out something very interesting regarding Google’s smartphone revenue per year. While the tech giant’s smartphone revenue is on the rise, which appears to be good news for Android (on the surface), a closer look at the source of the revenue shows otherwise. It turns out that most of the increase in Google’s smartphone revenue is from the iOS platform. Deidu suggests that revenue per device from the Android platform is actually on a slight decline.