Apple’s ‘Intel Inside’ Macintosh to hit shelves on June 6

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdtvtechno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apple’s ‘Intel Inside’ Macintosh to hit shelves on June 6

Shawn Chen, Taipei; Jessie Shen, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 6 December 2005]

Intel processors will be initially adopted in Apple Computer’s entry-level Macintosh PC lineup, including the Mac Mini, iBook, and iMac series, with a launch in Taiwan slated for June 6 2006, according to sources at Taiwan PC distributors.

Apple Taiwan declined to comment on the report, noting that the launch schedule would be released according to the company’s official statement.

Apple said earlier that the company would deliver new Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors by June of next year and transition all of its Macs to using Intel chips by the end of 2007.

Rumors have circulated that a test version of Apple’s Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.1 for an Intel-powered Macintosh has been released for limited testing. Apple is expected to unveil its new Macintosh PCs with the ‘Intel Inside’ logo on January 9 of next year, when Macworld 2006 takes place in San Francisco from January 9 to 13, sources at domestic PC makers indicated.

A November 30 Reuters report cited Citigroup analyst Richard Gardner as saying that Apple may launch its first Intel-based PowerBook as early as January.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20051206A7033.html

lol, stargazr, I don't think switching the processor itself counts for much of the production costs in a Mac, the unique form factors, OS production, and various other things just drive the costs up..

I'm sure they get quite a bit of profit too lol. Oh well, I'm not complaining :D

could be the real reason behind it is the x86 version of MacOS to eventually compete with Windows?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Though I would imagine the average Windows user would be just as cold to the idea of Mac OS X as ever before. *shrug*

The x86 transition in itself introduces a lot of silliness, like the price complaints I *KNOW* are going to happen -- from who, I'm not too sure, probably just the general people I talk about this sort of stuff with in and out of class, depending.

"Why should I pay $xx for a mac with XX and XX when a Dell costs $uu for XX and XX too?"

Of course the obvious answer would be to tell them to look at the two machines up close and they'd figure out the difference, but who does that?

I only began to see it as funny when some Thinkpad owners complained the same thing: Would they have gotten a low end model instead of their T43 for $800 less if it had the same specs but was 1.5" and had the most gaudy engineering? Doubtful.

Then again, opinions, opinions. I'll take a pot shot and say that as usual, if x86 was available on your best buy shelves and maybe even marketed as such..

"I Hear MAC has less programs"
"Does my antivirus work with it?"
"It isn't as secure"
"They aren't compatible with the internet"

and insert other hairbrain ideas here :D

Unfortunately for the brave few mac fans (myself included) we're doomed. Doomed I tell ya! Doomed since 1984!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)