Apple’s working on a high-definition video network?

txdude said:
T2k,

I'm not sure whether you are serious or just trying to be funny, but reading your response sure gave me a good chuckle :haha

Ignorance is blessed, kid.

"superior CPU architecture".... suuuuure... LOL! :D :D

Scotty said:
Apple is making a big push for HD! The iMovie consumer movie editing software that comes with every mac and with the iLife suite software package for older macs, can now edit movies in HD! At the recent MacWorld convention last January, apple had Sony president on stage touting their prosumer HD video recorder/camera (~$3250 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00068JKR0/ref=pd_luc_mri/103-4401501-0442209?v=glance&s=photo&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=* )
and they declared this year the year of HD for Apple!

You're pretty much out of sync, pal: Sony's camera was available since November and it's only 1080i, no progressive whatsoever. So no 24p, no 30p - 3 CCDs are nice but that's it.

Wait a week and you'll meet JVC's new JY-HD100: 24p, 3CCDs. 720p, interchangeable lens system etc.
Later this year they also will release the first 1080p one - so much for Sony and interlace... :D

Here is the new JVC: http://img162.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img162&image=prohd8ws.jpg

txdude said:
As someone who works in the IT industry and has experience with maintaining a very mixed environment of Server/Desktop platforms its hard to believe that anyone who knows much about computers could make the arguments that he makes. Even the most anti-Mac people that I do know in the industry will admit that Apple makes nice & powerful hardware even if they don't like the shiny, lickable OSX.

Man... what are you doing "As someone who works in the IT industry and has experience with maintaining a very mixed environment of Server/Desktop platforms"? :D I bet you are some hardware guy...

FYI: I'm responsible for the full technology background of an animation company. Guys like you work for me and when they are new (less than 6 months old) I have to listen the same clueless tirade day-by-day.

Good advice: go to a *good* school (ie university) and learn about architecture and performance and price. I did the same way - and I have a decade experience now...

I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to computers.

:d Sounds very self-confident, that's for sure. :D

I'm posting this from my Debian Linux based Sony VAIO notebook (Which I just got wlan working on :D ) I also have a Dell Inspiron notebook with Windows XP, a home built PC with Gentoo Linux, a PowerBook G4 running Yellow Dog Linux, and a brand new PowerMac G5 running OSX.

Wow. Wow!

(Is this enough? I assumed I should have been impressed...)

Listen it's pretty obvious you never had a chance to work in heavy tasking multimedia environment - that's the only field where Macs used -, so it'd nice if you wouldn't think you know the 'truth'.

It's not not an accident that even Pixar - you know, owned by SSteve Jobs - uses PCs nad not only in theri renderfarm...

Apple3 has a lot to go to be considered seriously in many places. As long as design has priority over performance and such, there's no place for them in most of the markets.

andrzej said:
T2k,
I am wondering, why you are so passionately negative about Apple? Your several posts in this thread trash Apple with lots of exclamation marks and bold font. You seem to be an expert on computer technology but, you still use Apple computers. Why?

I wrote some long answer here and this POS BT keyboard (Apple!) *&**(&&* up royally. :mad::mad::mad:

Later I'll try again...:mad:

shanewalker said:
I'm also laughing about T2K's 'dvd-writer' and 'Xerox' comments. If you aren't familiar with professional DVD authoring, make note that Sonic Solutions DVD Creator was THE professional authoring workstation that created almost if not all of the first few years of Hollywood titles now sitting in your collection.

Yayy. Smart@ss: we were talking about destops... instead of laughing and writing self-embarrasing comments learn to read.

Nobody will be impressed by your comments - quoting well-known but otherwise completely irrelevant things is simply makes you look silly...

And you might recognize the name Avid. These systems were based on the Mac platform.

Worong again. As I said: stop quoting stupid things.

FYI: I hold Avid certification as well and we have several Avid suite in-house as well.
This 'spilling-few-words-and-it-may-will-make-me-look-like-an-insider" trick doesn't work here, believe me.

Avid was developerd on Apollo workstations originally. Apple approached them after they finished their code.

And the Xerox Parc comment. Apple PAID for use of the concepts in the building of the original Mac OS (in 1983) that Jobs and team immediately recognized as the future of personal computing. What monies did Microsoft offer Apple for ripping off their fully developed OS under the guise 'Windows' (o.k., besides the 1998 bail-out money ;))? Puh-leez. Apple may be "the little guy" but its no accident that they're the one everyone attempts to imitate at every turn.

Bull-sh*t. Nobody imitates Apple, that's simply retarded.
And no, Apple did not pay for a lot of things, stop rewriting the history.
Apple hired Raskin, Horn and others of Xerox and the only supply they gave PARC was some Apple stocks.

Just look at the feature set on Longhorn.

Ahem, yes? Like WGF 1.0? Or WinFS? (Though it's unfortunately most likely will be left out now...)

You don't seem to know how the hw/sw developed the last two decade, pal...

Look at all the iPod rip-offs.

iPod has nothing to do with computers. I don't even understand WTF are you talking about here: the ONLY succesful product during the last 5-6 years is iPod from Apple.

And - oh, sweet irony! - it's NOT a computer. BROAF. :D

The way colored plastics entered the consumer markets after the original iMac. Did you SEE the Intel concept PC they showed a month ago...it was a Mac Mini with two grooves crossing the chassis.

Jeees... you're realllly behind the reality... did you notice that mini PCs were available 3-4 years ago already? My accountant bought the first one 3 years ago...
So if somebody stole the idea from others, that was Jobs and Apple.

In short, Apple has pull in not only the computer but now the consumer electronics industry.

In short: BS.
Apple pulled itself to a nice financial crisis during the 90s, it was close to get ***ed and if I remember correctly exactly BG bought some Apple stocks, only to keep them around as a so-called competitor.

Apple did not introduce ONE SINGLE thing, device, function, anything during the last 15 years EXCEPT Firewire - and even FW was originally designed for networking by Apple, which, if you'd be an engineer, would show you perfectly how utterly clueless were they.

They created the concept of the personal computer and now might help usher in a new manner of broadcasting HD. I'm excited because they have a track record heavy with hits and things that actually work...

Excitement is good: helps your heart to pump blood etc.
Otherwise Apple is nowhere near to become somebody big - simply Jobs is a stupid egoistic @sshole, even more disgusting capitalist then Gates is.

Flame on. Or better yet, can we get some follow up data on this rumor and lose the stale Mac/PC wars?

Hey kid: it's not me who confuses urban legends and reality, his own fuzxzy warm ideas about Apple and the reality - it's not me who brings up iPod as an example how successful Apple was in the computer business... ROFL! :D :D

P.S. I've used many machines/platforms and spend my days in front of an SGI Irix workstation.

Booo-whoo-big-f*ckin-deal. Should I be impressed?
I have an Onyx in garage - serves as a table and a minibar - so?

GreatMac said:
Gee, I actually run a business that deals with image manipulation.

"Gee", it's got to be a miserable business...

Yep, for the money, the Apple monitors ARE the best,

ROFL! :D :D :D
And you run a business? LOL! :D

Go and take a look around why most of the 'real' pros (not I-am-a-DTP-king-because-I-got-Macs) scores L2335 and the Sony one way higher than Apple's overpriced yet poorly featured CDisplays.
Go and ask around in your own claimed field what's the "pink-plague' in Apple world...

:rolleyes:

and I have seen most of the competition.

Yeah, we are sure about that after your comments above.. LOL.

And yes, Apple makes the boxes that run the monitors too, and they do a better job in this field than MS :yes

Suuure...

Maybe because it is better..... Take a look at Voom. :clap

Should I? Voom HD center uses PCs - what are you talking about?

Look, I see you're some enthusiastic Mac fan but besides your proven lack of information in your own field it would be nice to back up your claims with some factual data...

I do the same: go and do a search for HP L2335, your Cinema crap, the Sony 23" LCD (forgot its modell No) and also include the latest bang for the bucks which really leaves now everybopdy in the dust, the Dell 24" 2405FPW - when I spoke to my rep he said TV/film/post businesses buy this like crazy.
No wonder: it's the same like the top one, the HP L2335 but has better response time (12ms) some extras and a bomb-like price: $1199... (minus coupons ;))

P.S. I also have a dedicated MCE 2005 box (3.4 P4, ATI 9800 PRO) running 24/7 and serving all my HT needs, including as an SD DVR for Voom. For HT, currently it is hard to beat MS's MCE for convinience and ease. So, use what works best for the task :eureka

Well, that's sure, so that's a mystery why do you have a dedicated heating machine for home theater... P4 is kinda lame for a while now. :p

You got to get out more often, man :haha

Or just I need to relax more from my job? That's true, I agree...
Being precise is precious at work but most likely I won't win new friends this way, I admit - but fortunately I already have a few good one. ;)

Well.
Isn't THIS just an exciting thread :)
I agree with the poster who said they never thought they'd see the Apple/PC wars here on Sat guys... LOL

Anyway. For a bit more history, you might want to dig out the reprints of the letters that Gates wrote to Jobs after Billy had written his spreadsheet program (the roots of Excel) and was looking for a platform to partner with. He told Jobs that his platform was fantastic, but that they only way that Apple could meet the demand would be to license the manufacturing rights to companies like Digital Equipment, Data General and a few others.
Apple's engineers essentially blew him off, saying they would NEVER license their technology to ANYONE.
Gates turned out to be right, and the IBM pc "clone" ran away with all the prizes :)
That single thing had a pretty tremendous impact, doncha think? LOL

If Apple hadn't been so pig-headed and snobby back then, who knows? People could have been snarling at Jobs, complaining about the lack of competition, and posting in forums about how Windoze is EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS MAC/OS! LOL

Anyway, not sure what this has to do with VOOM and their business, but it's a nice little sideshow ;)

Lob

T2k said:
You're pretty much out of sync, pal: Sony's camera was available since November and it's only 1080i, no progressive whatsoever. So no 24p, no 30p - 3 CCDs are nice but that's it.

Wait a week and you'll meet JVC's new JY-HD100: 24p, 3CCDs. 720p, interchangeable lens system etc.
Later this year they also will release the first 1080p one - so much for Sony and interlace... :D

Here is the new JVC: http://img162.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img162&image=prohd8ws.jpg

Out of sync? I didn't say they introduced the camera at MacWorld in Jan, just that sony president was there touting it along with Jobs HD announcements. The news is that apple is embracing HD in a big way this year, not that sony has the best camera on the planet. And since when is progessive considered the only true def of HD? There are 17 formats in the HD standards, and 1080i is a big part of that! 720p is great for sports, 1080i is higher res that is great for less action intensive video. Half the tv's out there, plasma and lcd, can't even handle 1080i, and display at much less lines of res.

Are you trolling or what?

:confused:

Lobstah said:
Well.
Isn't THIS just an exciting thread :)
I agree with the poster who said they never thought they'd see the Apple/PC wars here on Sat guys... LOL

Anyway. For a bit more history, you might want to dig out the reprints of the letters that Gates wrote to Jobs after Billy had written his spreadsheet program (the roots of Excel) and was looking for a platform to partner with. He told Jobs that his platform was fantastic, but that they only way that Apple could meet the demand would be to license the manufacturing rights to companies like Digital Equipment, Data General and a few others.
Apple's engineers essentially blew him off, saying they would NEVER license their technology to ANYONE.
Gates turned out to be right, and the IBM pc "clone" ran away with all the prizes :)
That single thing had a pretty tremendous impact, doncha think? LOL

If Apple hadn't been so pig-headed and snobby back then, who knows? People could have been snarling at Jobs, complaining about the lack of competition, and posting in forums about how Windoze is EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS MAC/OS! LOL

Anyway, not sure what this has to do with VOOM and their business, but it's a nice little sideshow ;)

Lob

It's quite possible that the "everybody should have just license their technology and been ass successful as Billy Boy" conventional wisdom may turn out to be short sighted. Billy's stock is down in the 20's while Apple's just split in the 80's (now doubles shares with prices in the 40's). While the myriad of uncontrolled licensee's out there make upgrading a pc with a new video card or dvd burner a day long activity and an excercise in frustration, while Apple's control over both the OS, a good bit of software, and the hardware, helps them to make pretty darn good (not perfect mind you) products that are well integrated, and make adding things like a wireless network a 20 minute or less joy to behold! And lets not get started about the security holes that you could drive a truck through, or the spyware, viruses, etc. Right now, Apple has way fewer problems along these lines.

In the long term, apple's stategy of quality, and innovation may win out over lowest common denominator, pc get rich quck scheme.

Anybodies who's owned a Maglite flashlight, over one of those cheap, drop it once and throw it away, won't light up at the most inapropriate times, plastic flashlights, knows how good an Apple computer can be, and how if Apple is involved in a HD network scheme, then there is definitely something to get excited about!

:yes

Scotty said:
Out of sync? I didn't say they introduced the camera at MacWorld in Jan, just that sony president was there touting it along with Jobs HD announcements. The news is that apple is embracing HD in a big way this year, not that sony has the best camera on the planet. And since when is progessive considered the only true def of HD? There are 17 formats in the HD standards, and 1080i is a big part of that! 720p is great for sports, 1080i is higher res that is great for less action intensive video. Half the tv's out there, plasma and lcd, can't even handle 1080i, and display at much less lines of res.

Are you trolling or what?

:confused:

Who's trolling where? Did you bother to read what I wrote?

Not to mention you're obviously short on necessqary knowledge: 1080i is not higher res by default... and no, there isn't 17 in "HD standards" - BTW there's no "HD standards" in general.

Pull together something menainful to post before you start tlaking about trolls, fella. You can't even make a distinction between HDTV broadcast standards or HD recording formats etc. plus it's not only about US...

Whatever, I'm going back to take care of my Easter ham and sausage instead of this kindergarten Sunday school... :)

I'm asking the moderator to step in here. T2K is a worthless troll and is adding nothing but vitriol and misinformation to the thread. Welcome to my ignore list buddy...and if we were in the same room, I'd point out a few things. You don't like it when people call you out, do you? I'd counter all your inaccurate counterarguments but you're simply not worth the bandwidth that's being wasted. I can picture what you must be like in 'the real world,' you're a broken record I've heard over and over (funny, animation house, huh? never would have guessed that), and I bet everyone else here is tired of you too. FYI to you all, he's doing the same acidic and distracting routine over at AVS on a related thread.

The thread is about the HDTV Apple initiative. For my part, I hope to get some info on this subject at NAB in a couple of weeks, and will report back if there's any new information revealed. I suggest all further posts skew back to the constructive and the thread topic as their subject matter and we all stop giving this fool (who's apparently in love with the sound of his own typing) the time of day.

shanewalker, sorry to tell you but T2k isn't a troll on Voom at all. he may not share the excitement on the Apple HDVN rumors, but that doesn't make him a troll.... Putting him on your ignore list you may miss some good opinions in regards to Voom. just my .02

He should start his own thread, then, perhaps "What I can't stand about Apple." Or stick to Voom as his subject matter. He obviously has nothing positive to add here.

Oh...so we can only add positive things here? lol

Anyway...

"While the myriad of uncontrolled licensee's out there make upgrading a pc with a new video card or dvd burner a day long activity and an excercise in frustration"

Maybe it takes YOU that long...but I've never spend a day installing ANYTHING on a pc. Maybe you had trouble with the "two-button mouse" concept? ;) j/k

Wireless? Yup...both b and g worked with plugnplay on my Win2000 laptop, no problems here, either.

As for security, Apple has had it's share of hacks too...they just don't get publicized as well, probably because they don't have anywhere near the impact.

Hmmmmmmmm... Why IS that? ;)

C'mon...you can say it :) We all know the answer... ;)

Lob

Am I still here on satelliteguys, or did I get redirected to macrumors, macintouch, macminute or even engadget? Seems to me the same discussion (over and over), PC vs. Mac. Luckily we have a choice, so can we now get back on what this thread started about, Apple's HDVN? Will Voom be involved. Who knows....
But I remember to have read Voom chose MPEG4 h.264 over WM9. (Will try to locate that article, don't remeber where I read it)

And this has to do with the thread, HOW?

I don't know who you were responding to or why, but again, worthless waste of bandwidth for the sake of bashing. Really funny stuff, too. I wish folks would stick to the topic. Some folks love their Camrys, some love their Camaros, what's the point? If you want to make it an intelligence litmus test, you might be surprised at the stats...I suggest we don't go there. Oh, yes, these threads should have a balance of commentary, but on topic and constructive. So far this line of dialogue is proving worthless, perhaps the thread should be closed down.

Does anyone have real information to add?

Lobstah said:
Oh...so we can only add positive things here? lol

Anyway...

"While the myriad of uncontrolled licensee's out there make upgrading a pc with a new video card or dvd burner a day long activity and an excercise in frustration"

Maybe it takes YOU that long...but I've never spend a day installing ANYTHING on a pc. Maybe you had trouble with the "two-button mouse" concept? ;) j/k

Wireless? Yup...both b and g worked with plugnplay on my Win2000 laptop, no problems here, either.

As for security, Apple has had it's share of hacks too...they just don't get publicized as well, probably because they don't have anywhere near the impact.

Hmmmmmmmm... Why IS that? ;)

C'mon...you can say it :) We all know the answer... ;)

Lob

It's a common factor within enthusiastic Mac kids, I've noticed - you simply cannot say anything bad about the 'world greatest company"... :D

MarcelV said:
Am I still here on satelliteguys, or did I get redirected to macrumors, macintouch, macminute or even engadget? Seems to me the same discussion (over and over), PC vs. Mac. Luckily we have a choice, so can we now get back on what this thread started about, Apple's HDVN? Will Voom be involved. Who knows....
But I remember to have read Voom chose MPEG4 h.264 over WM9. (Will try to locate that article, don't remeber where I read it)

Possible but that's probably a license fee-related decision. ;)

I don't think that Apple is actually considering launching an HD service or satellite. Even though Apple has expressed interest in HD, Apple has not expressed interest in the TV industry. That's not to say that Apple won't be in that position at a latter time, but that Jobs does not feel he can win in a pissing match with the Cable giants who do control most of the TV.

Unrelated to the topic would seem to be T2k, which is obviously harboring a lot of resentment towards Apple. Whoever invented the technology is a mute issue. The issue at hand is what position Apple will play in HD. You may dispute numbers all you want but the simple fact is, Apple software apps are the preferred solution for networks looking to edit video content. Certainly Apple never invented the DVD Recorder. They were the first, however, to offer a choice that the general consumer could use without a college degree. They did not invent the wireless network, but they made it easy for the rest of us. Also, firewire is networkable, but it's use is now in the form it is now. Remember, everytime you use a drop down Window in a bitmap environment, you are borrowing from PARC, GEM, Mac, Lisa, etc.

Lastly, Voom does use Apple's to edit the video using Final Cut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts