Apple’s working on a high-definition video network?

socalpanman said:

That's lame - why not to use a simple RSS feed? That's totally platform-independent, no application required and on PC and Mac Firefox, IE, anything have RSS extension/plugin but you can receive it on Sun or mainframe if it's necessary... :)

PS: don't get me wrong, this eBoard is a nice, neat piece of work but this application-based approach is lame.

Downloadable HD movies would be awesome, plus since there is no media or duplication involved they could make it very affordable. That would rule if you could download an HD movie to a hard drive for say around $10. Cheaper than a DVD with better picture quality and no disc to care for or get scratched. Go for it APPLE!
But forming a new satellite company...silly idea.

T2k said:
C'mon... please. I'm sick and tired of this Apple-crap and apparently everybody bought this.
Don't buy this - check out the facts as I did.

There was not ONE SINGLE INVENTION FROM APPLE EXCEPT FIREWIRE. Period.

Nothing has been used by Apple first except Firewire. I'm tired of rebuking Apple's fake perception, created by their marketing crap.
I heard all fo these and no, they are not true at all: no DVD-writer, no LCD, nothing has been introduced by Apple first - these are all urban legends.

Besides this Apple is very-very-very little guy to really influence a market like this unless Apple wants to build an iTunes-like HD service.

Anything other than such internet-based service is way out of reach for Apple, both in terms of financials or technology.

Have you ever even used OS X? I had the same attitude toward Macs as you do until I actually used one. Thank God I found OS X or I would be caught back in the world of the "fatal blue screen of death" and spyware filling my computer with crap. Wake up, Bill Gates based Windows around Mac OS and has been years behind Apple technology... He is just a marketing genius and knows how to promote his Piece of Chit(PC)

ROLLZROYCE said:
Have you ever even used OS X? I had the same attitude toward Macs as you do until I actually used one. Thank God I found OS X

Listen pal: I'm using Macs since OS8, so don't confuse me your 'reborn' when you first got OS X...

or I would be caught back in the world of the "fatal blue screen of death" and spyware filling my computer with crap. Wake up, Bill Gates based Windows around Mac OS and has been years behind Apple technology... He is just a marketing genius and knows how to promote his Piece of Chit(PC)

Classic sign of (l)user idiocy... when the user thinks he found the gold...:rolleyes:

PS: thtat's the problem when a user thinks he's actually very smart but the world/OS/windows/provider/mailman is stupid etc etc

ROLLZROYCE said:
Downloadable HD movies would be awesome, plus since there is no media or duplication involved they could make it very affordable. That would rule if you could download an HD movie to a hard drive for say around $10. Cheaper than a DVD with better picture quality and no disc to care for or get scratched. Go for it APPLE!
But forming a new satellite company...silly idea.

Of course you think it's a new idea - it's Apple!

Jesus, these blind Mac kids are so funny sometimes. LOL

FYI: you can download movies for years now, nothing new here.
Even HD movies can be downloaded and for FREE.

windhunde said:
Robert Cringely had an interesting column back in January speculating on what Apple might have planned for the Mac Mini. He sees it being perfectly positioned for use as an HDTV movies over broadband device - that will be available much sooner than consumer blu-ray/hd-dvd devices. Here's a short excerpt:

"Now about that HD video content, Jobs was careful in his speech to point out more than once that there are two competing standards for High Definition DVDs -- Blu-Ray and HD-DVD -- but that H.264 is a constant on both systems. With movie studios divided between the two standards, this promises to be another VHS versus Betamax competition which means it will take two to three years for one standard to dominate, and in that interim devices will cost more than they ought to and will be coming later to market. Enter Apple and the Mac Mini, supporting every part of HD except a DVD standard, because one isn't needed. The Mini will download its HD video over broadband Internet connections so no optical component is required. The result is that Apple once again gets to market early and has a chance to become the de facto standard, just like iTunes did. Blockbuster can't compete with Apple until there are HD DVDs, and even digital cable doesn't have enough channel capacity to offer as many pay-per-view HD movies as Apple will be able to offer on the first day of service."

The full article is here...

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html

Dan

The only problem, a huge one in this plan those movies come from those studios, the same ones who are interested in one of the formats...

T2k said:
C'mon... please. I'm sick and tired of this Apple-crap and apparently everybody bought this.
Don't buy this - check out the facts as I did.

There was not ONE SINGLE INVENTION FROM APPLE EXCEPT FIREWIRE. Period.

Innovation isn't the same thing as invention. Apple has made great strides in UI and user friendliness. Apple's commitment to quality, state of the art hardware is well above what you will find in the PC world. There is a reason that a Mac can run Windows XP via x86 Emulation and a Windows PC can not run OSX via PowerPC emulation (not in any usable fashion). This is because the processor architecture is superior on a Mac. Microsoft and numerous *nix distros are now trying to play catch up with OSX which was released in 2001 (8 months before Windows XP was released). Without a doubt Apple is about 3-5 years ahead of the rest in the OS department alone and Apple clearly has the advantage in the hardware quality department. The only disavantage for Apple has been the cost of a Mac vs. cost of a PC. many people simply not afford a Mac, so they have no choice but to use a PC. This should now be less of an issue with the newly released MiniMac which is very affordable and great way for weary PC users to find reprieve.

T2k said:
Nothing has been used by Apple first except Firewire. I'm tired of rebuking Apple's fake perception, created by their marketing crap.
I heard all fo these and no, they are not true at all: no DVD-writer, no LCD, nothing has been introduced by Apple first - these are all urban legends.

There is no fake perception... Apple simply is faster at getting new technology to their customers... and in a very nice package too. :cool: You mentioned DVD-Writers. I know plenty of Mac users that had DVD-Writers when PC users were still dreaming about being able to afford them for their PCs. There are plenty of other examples of Mac users getting access to newer/better technology first but I'm not going to type ten pages to prove my point. If you have never used a Mac do yourself a favor and go to the nearest Apple Store and try one out for yourself or ask a friend with a Mac to let you give it a spin.

T2k said:
Besides this Apple is very-very-very little guy to really influence a market like this unless Apple wants to build an iTunes-like HD service.

You never know... Apple, with the influence that they currently have in the Music DRM market, could easily accomplish the same in the HDMovie DRM market.

T2k said:
Anything other than such internet-based service is way out of reach for Apple, both in terms of financials or technology.

All Apple would need is a technology partner and nothing would be out of reach.

I am ready.....bring it on!... I have 4 macs in the house with an airport express network. The beauty of Apple products is they work and work well, in my experience.

speedyray said:
Apple buys Voom and TIVO then builds the ultimate in Hi-def home entertainment - damn that would have everyone in this forum taking a cold shower.

Rumors are fun. I am a big Apple fan so I would love to see Apple take Voom and Tivo under its wings and creat something truly awesome.
Apple wants to buy Tivo so they can deliver movies On Demand onto the Tivo Box. Tivo announced this '04 CES that they wanted to deliver movies to their boxes. Netflix wants to do the same so they don't have to deal with DVDs. I ca easily see a Netflix/Tivo/Apple 3some.

txdude said:
Innovation isn't the same thing as invention. Apple has made great strides in UI and user friendliness.
Wrong - Apple stole the idea from Xerox. BEsides X-WIndow is pretty old story, and not Apple story

Apple's commitment to quality, state of the art hardware is well above what you will find in the PC world.

OMG... this is nothing but marketing BS.

Apple's Cinema DIsplay is the perfect example: all the Mac fans are close to ejaculation when they talk about it - and the reality is it's got pretty limited features, quality-wise had the famous pink-corner-problem and there wasn't any test which scored it higher than 3rd-4th place behind HP L2335 and the Sony one.

It's marketing blabla.l

There is a reason that a Mac can run Windows XP via x86 Emulation and a Windows PC can not run OSX via PowerPC emulation (not in any usable fashion). This is because the processor architecture is superior on a Mac.

BROAAAAF! :D
Now I know you don't have the slightest idea about the subject. :D :D

This is hilarious: I'll send this paage to my colleagues right now - it's gonna be very popular next week. believe me... :p

Microsoft and numerous *nix distros are now trying to play catch up with OSX which was released in 2001 (8 months before Windows XP was released). Without a doubt Apple is about 3-5 years ahead of the rest in the OS department alone and Apple clearly has the advantage in the hardware quality department. The only disavantage for Apple has been the cost of a Mac vs. cost of a PC. many people simply not afford a Mac, so they have no choice but to use a PC. This should now be less of an issue with the newly released MiniMac which is very affordable and great way for weary PC users to find reprieve.

:eek:

:D :D:D
Sure, sure.... plenty of misinformation, factual errors and a lot of imagination - this is what I read here.

Mac Mini is the biggest scam in the history of computers - I hope somebody will sue Jobs and he'll pay.

You are one of the classic clueles blind MAc "true believer" who eats anything JObs tells him... this is US, corporate governance, they can lie whatever they want - look at UK: APple got fined for lying in their ad ("world fastest PC" LOL)

There is no fake perception... Apple simply is faster at getting new technology to their customers... and in a very nice package too. :cool: You mentioned DVD-Writers. I know plenty of Mac users that had DVD-Writers when PC users were still dreaming about being able to afford them for their PCs.

You are the walking example how the Apple brainwasher works - you're just repeating the same old, boring crappy disc about the same old fake stories.

DVDRW? Compaq Presarios came with it well before Apple - you are wrong AGAIN.
Still wrong, let me put this way.

There are plenty of other examples of Mac users getting access to newer/better technology first but I'm not going to type ten pages to prove my point.

LOL!!
Of course: because it's BS, simply not true at all.
Pal: I suggest first do some research instead of writing out of your bottom part.
Start with wiki or something similar. Repeating Jobs stupid marketing blabla doesn't help you anywhere else, putside of some Mac site...

If you have never used a Mac do yourself a favor and go to the nearest Apple Store and try one out for yourself or ask a friend with a Mac to let you give it a spin.
Ouch.
I'm writing this from my dual G5,...

Oooops, you screwed.
Again.

OT
Jesus, why is that 90% of the Mac fans are sooooo clueless on technical facts, real technical things?

:rolleyes:

You never know... Apple, with the influence that they currently have in the Music DRM market, could easily accomplish the same in the HDMovie DRM market.

Apple has zero frikkin influence on DRM - there's no DRM market.
Stop using marketing terms like you'd know what you're talking about.

All Apple would need is a technology partner and nothing would be out of reach.

Why would anybody on Earth team up with a company who has 3-4% marketshare? Ridiculous.

PS: this "superior processor" was very good, thanks - I really appreciate this good laugh, I'm still gigling...:bounce:

kfried001 said:
Apple wants to buy Tivo so they can deliver movies On Demand onto the Tivo Box. Tivo announced this '04 CES that they wanted to deliver movies to their boxes. Netflix wants to do the same so they don't have to deal with DVDs. I ca easily see a Netflix/Tivo/Apple 3some.

Well, I can easily see that Tivo will be dropped by cable and DBS providers - then this nice trio will blow all the costs...

windhunde said:
Robert Cringely had an interesting column back in January speculating on what Apple might have planned for the Mac Mini. He sees it being perfectly positioned for use as an HDTV movies over broadband device - that will be available much sooner than consumer blu-ray/hd-dvd devices...

...The full article is here...

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050120.html

Dan

The projects that people are trying to work around the Mac Mini are many and wonderful!

Check these sites:

http://centerstageproject.com/
http://www.macvroom.com/

and check this site, and don't miss the Our Friends links on the left for even more sites:

http://www.123macmini.com/

Apple Rules!!!

txdude said:
Speaking of Apple... I noticed last night when flipping through channels that during the NCAA Illinois vs Wisconsin-Milwaukee game on CBS, Apple had its Ipod Shuffle commercial in HD! :cool: This is very cool! I don't think I've ever noticed any other HD commercials before. Apple certainly is showing its commitment to HD.

Apple is making a big push for HD! The iMovie consumer movie editing software that comes with every mac and with the iLife suite software package for older macs, can now edit movies in HD! At the recent MacWorld convention last January, apple had Sony president on stage touting their prosumer HD video recorder/camera (~$3250 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...442209?v=glance&s=photo&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=*)
and they declared this year the year of HD for Apple!

T2k said:
You are the walking example how the Apple brainwasher works - you're just repeating the same old, boring crappy disc about the same old fake stories.

T2k,
I am wondering, why you are so passionately negative about Apple? Your several posts in this thread trash Apple with lots of exclamation marks and bold font. You seem to be an expert on computer technology but, you still use Apple computers. Why?

Wow... I never thought I'd see the classic Mac / PC Platfrom wars on satellite guys.

Here's the truth of it end of story.

Mac's are more reliable and better for some things than PC's.
PC's offer better compatability and are better for some things.

If the application you need works best on a mac, buy a mac.
otherwise.. a PC might be a more affordable answer for you.

I went from doing IT and PC data security to doing audio engineering and graphic design. Is the Mac better for that... You bet ya! Is the mac better? That as always is debateable.

Cheers,
Jon

andrzej said:
T2k,
I am wondering, why you are so passionately negative about Apple? Your several posts in this thread trash Apple with lots of exclamation marks and bold font. You seem to be an expert on computer technology but, you still use Apple computers. Why?

As someone who works in the IT industry and has experience with maintaining a very mixed environment of Server/Desktop platforms its hard to believe that anyone who knows much about computers could make the arguments that he makes. Even the most anti-Mac people that I do know in the industry will admit that Apple makes nice & powerful hardware even if they don't like the shiny, lickable OSX.

I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to computers. I'm posting this from my Debian Linux based Sony VAIO notebook (Which I just got wlan working on :D ) I also have a Dell Inspiron notebook with Windows XP, a home built PC with Gentoo Linux, a PowerBook G4 running Yellow Dog Linux, and a brand new PowerMac G5 running OSX.

I'm also laughing about T2K's 'dvd-writer' and 'Xerox' comments. If you aren't familiar with professional DVD authoring, make note that Sonic Solutions DVD Creator was THE professional authoring workstation that created almost if not all of the first few years of Hollywood titles now sitting in your collection. And you might recognize the name Avid. These systems were based on the Mac platform. And the Xerox Parc comment. Apple PAID for use of the concepts in the building of the original Mac OS (in 1983) that Jobs and team immediately recognized as the future of personal computing. What monies did Microsoft offer Apple for ripping off their fully developed OS under the guise 'Windows' (o.k., besides the 1998 bail-out money ;))? Puh-leez. Apple may be "the little guy" but its no accident that they're the one everyone attempts to imitate at every turn. Just look at the feature set on Longhorn. Look at all the iPod rip-offs. The way colored plastics entered the consumer markets after the original iMac. Did you SEE the Intel concept PC they showed a month ago...it was a Mac Mini with two grooves crossing the chassis.

In short, Apple has pull in not only the computer but now the consumer electronics industry. They created the concept of the personal computer and now might help usher in a new manner of broadcasting HD. I'm excited because they have a track record heavy with hits and things that actually work...

Flame on. Or better yet, can we get some follow up data on this rumor and lose the stale Mac/PC wars?

P.S. I've used many machines/platforms and spend my days in front of an SGI Irix workstation.

T2k said:
Apple's Cinema DIsplay is the perfect example: all the Mac fans are close to ejaculation when they talk about it - and the reality is it's got pretty limited features, quality-wise had the famous pink-corner-problem and there wasn't any test which scored it higher than 3rd-4th place behind HP L2335 and the Sony one.

Gee, I actually run a business that deals with image manipulation. Yep, for the money, the Apple monitors ARE the best, and I have seen most of the competition. And yes, Apple makes the boxes that run the monitors too, and they do a better job in this field than MS :yes

T2k said:
Why would anybody on Earth team up with a company who has 3-4% marketshare? Ridiculous.

Maybe because it is better..... Take a look at Voom. :clap

P.S. I also have a dedicated MCE 2005 box (3.4 P4, ATI 9800 PRO) running 24/7 and serving all my HT needs, including as an SD DVR for Voom. For HT, currently it is hard to beat MS's MCE for convinience and ease. So, use what works best for the task :eureka

You got to get out more often, man :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)