approx 30 miles away...indoor an option?

AVITWeb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I know it really all depends on a lot of factors, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success with an indoor antenna that is 30 miles + from the towers. If so...any recommendations on brand?

Though I'm closer, I've had good luck with the Philips PHDTV3 uhf/vhf antenna. Be sure to check www.atennaweb.org for specific on your needs. Most digital channels broadcast in UHF, but there are a few (including two in my area) that are VHF. If you can get by with a UHF only antenna, look for one of the "silver sensor" models, or the radio shack "bow tie" antenna

30 miles is pushing it for reliable reception, though I do agree with snaggerbob, the silver senser is your best bet and you can take it back if it doesn't work, at about 30 miles from the transmitter, you can set up a mid range UHF antenna with a mast mounted preamp or a VHF/UHF combo (radioshack has decent outdoor antennas) and get good signal, you do have to remember, most HD stations are broadcasting on limited power untill the change over in 2009, I know most of my locals are at about 1/4 the power they are going to be once we are all digital

most HD stations are broadcasting on limited power untill the change over in 2009, I know most of my locals are at about 1/4 the power they are going to be once we are all digital

Unless they have an STA to stay with reduced power, the FCC mandated based on market size, that DT stations have to be full power by certain dates. Your market may be still in the transition period but the top 50 at least are required to be full power already. The gradual phase in of full power to ALL DT's will be in effect by 2009.

I am in the number 19 dma, and I can tell you for a fact that not all the stations are full power, only 3 of them are, the others cannot go full power becuase they are transmitting digital on a channel that has analog in the adjacent dma

I am in the Sacramento DMA, now, I am at the very south end of it.. Example, PBS DT is on channel 53 and there MyNet TV analog in fresno is on 53, that poses a problem as I am right in the middle of the two markets, only slightly closer to sac, but I turn around my antenna, and I can get most of the fresno stations.. but still there are some I can't get because of the analog channel in the sac market.. it sucks, but untill the digital changeover, there are some stations that have no choice but to transmit limited power.. so in cases like mine, directional antenna's are a must.

I am in the suburbs of St. Louis and located 30 miles out. What worked for me was a Terk HDTVa indoor antenna which is hooked into my Dish network HD DVR. I hooked it up and did a local scan and it picked up 14 channels. I get a 90-100 signal strength on all channels. I know that this antenna will not work for all but it definitely worked for me. I picked up the antenna for about $40 on amazon. Good luck because OTA HD is awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts