April 12th Live Retailer Chat Recap!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Something Plus a Russian Channel at 61.5 and 148 $7.99 if you have other russian channels without it it's $14.99 a month. It is avalable tommorow.

Scott, I don't see any new Russian channels?

I have decided a while back that I am not going to invest one cent into HD (whether it be a television or satellite receiver) until the technology has advanced enough and the price becomes more reasonable and until it matures more.

Stargazer said:
I have decided a while back that I am not going to invest one cent into HD (whether it be a television or satellite receiver) until the technology has advanced enough and the price becomes more reasonable and until it matures more.
Hope for your sake that happens before February 17, 2009; I wonder if it will.

I'm kinda of two minds on this: I was needing a new TV anyway (my 522 was feeding a 13" with RF-only inputs!), so I didn't want anything less than a full-blown HDTV due to the 2/17/09 deadline and the silliness of other digital sets (SDTV, EDTV and "HD-ready"); but I didn't want to spend too much on it. I was able to get a great deal on a open-box 27" slim-tube CRT HDTV (less than $450 including tax, service contract, and a DVD to boot) and didn't have to add a lot more accessories; but I'm not giving up my 522 till the prices for HD DVRs come down! (Wonder if that'll be when AT&T brings IPTV to town?)

Now that most HD sets have built in tuners many people can get HD locals from OTA or sometimes cable for no extra charge. Its at least some HD if you don't want to upgrade your box.

I got a WO today that says 'account holder is participating in the money back guarantee promotion". Nobody from the office has said anything about this, and until they do, I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

My contract with P10 called for charge backs if I did anything to cause the customer to cancel, which I found unnerving. All it takes is for somebody's wife to come home and freak out about where the dish is, and its over.

So, until I get clarification, I'm stone walling. It's a marketing guru job, too. Those are nearly always Fd up. I'm not hanging my cheeks out in the breeze for them.

The Feb, 2009 date won't affect that many people. Dish and Direct can continue to do what they are doing. Most of the cable companies can keep doing what they are doing. Converter boxes, when needed, will be inexpensive. I expect OTA digital tuners will also be pretty cheap.

As for me, I really would hate to give up my 942, purchased in October. I am thinking of an outright buy of a 622, maybe in short order to beat any TiVo injuction=:-0 I have an old 325 running my other SD, which I will have to replace eventually, In the meantime, the 942 would make a heckuva machine for that system. Just hate the thought of monthly lease fees when the upfront cost, even with the rebate, is a bit stiff. And returning the 942 with only a half year amortization, no thanks.

I figure everything will get a LOT better and CHEAPER within the next few years and after HD has matured a good bit. Eventually HD will be more of the norm and it will probably be had for about the same price as the SD receivers that we have today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts