April 6th Retailer Chat Details

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok on to hardware,

The 811 there was a problem with a chip on the 811 so they need to fix the problem, 811's should be available again by May.

Ok, so how will they address the 811's that are out already. How they deal with this issue will be the deciding factor as to whether I stay with E* or not!

I like E*, but something is terribly wrong lately, I have given them too many opportunities to prove me wrong, or to provide the level of customer service I believe I should get as a paying customer, but they have continiously failed.

In fact, I am STILL waiting for a reply to an email I sent several times to the CEO email, and then again to Charlie's personal email. Totally unacceptable

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yeah I am going to go in later and capture the audio of Jim talking about the bad chip and put it online.

Perhaps there will be a recall on the 811's.

(PEOPLE DON'T PANIC THERE IS NO RECALL YET!! NOR WAS THE WORD RECALL EVER SAID)

I will panic if there is no recall -)

Bad Chip in the 811.

Was there a bad chip in the 921 also that was causing the blue line and the QA hold. Did they every update on what was up with the 921?

It is strange that they told us what was wrong with the 811 and not the 921?

Ok I got to hear Jims comments on the 811 again, he's not necessarly saying there is a chip problem, it sounds like they were having trouble obtaining a component for the 811.

Infact hear it for yourself.

The MP3 is attached.

Attachments

• jim811_921.mp3
    219.2 KB · Views: 665
Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok I got to hear Jims comments on the 811 again, he's not necessarly saying there is a chip problem, it sounds like they were having trouble obtaining a component for the 811.

The MP3 is attached.

Scott, can you add that to the Satguys radio rotation?

HDTV Rookie said:
Ok, so how will they address the 811's that are out already. How they deal with this issue will be the deciding factor as to whether I stay with E* or not!

I like E*, but something is terribly wrong lately, I have given them too many opportunities to prove me wrong, or to provide the level of customer service I believe I should get as a paying customer, but they have continiously failed.

In fact, I am STILL waiting for a reply to an email I sent several times to the CEO email, and then again to Charlie's personal email. Totally unacceptable

They need to handle this the same way the did when the 4700 had the "red Jaggies" chip problem. Allow the owners to receive a replacement receiver for N/C. I received a brand new receiver on that swap :)

NightRyder

I can interpret Jim's comments as saying the chip effected the 811's performance and the issue was traced to the manufacturer. 811 production was stopped because of this, and now that the producer has the corrections in place the production will resume. Could there be bad 811's in the field? That's the question.

It is really hard to understand what Jim meant here.

I interpet it a few ways.

1) The component they need was made only by 1 company and that company was closed for 2 months due to a fire, but now they are open again and making the component.

2) There was a component in the 811 that was not built to spec causing problems with the 811, so we needed to wait until the chip was fixed and was to spec and now production can continue.

3) The component was made by Viacom and we could not use the chip while we were carrying on with negoations... (Ok thats just a joke) :)

We might only know the real issue after this rumor festors and becomes a boil on E8's butt, then they will need to clairify the situation.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dish has a 510 upgrade available for Existing Customers. Existing customers can also get a remanufactured 501 now, however for a 501 they must pay an additional upgrade fee because the 501 does not have to pay DVR fees. Customer will pay $149 for a reman 501. (A 510 is $99)

Does the re-manufactured 501 have the same 40G HD that the original one had or do they put a larger HD in it? Hmmmmm!!! buying 2 x 501's might make a good alternative to a 522 since their is no DVR fee. Will they sell more then 1 x 501 for this promotion?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Ok on to hardware,

The 811 there was a problem with a component on the 811 so they needed to fix the problem, 811's should be available again by May.

The 921 is fixed and production should start going out in about 10 - 15 days.

SuperDISH's are still in short supply, but they say they are catching up.

DishPro adapters are in short supply but they hope to have a lot available soon.
Did they go into detail as to what the problem is with the 811's? Any mention of a recall of the first group of 811's.

The only mention of a problem was what Jim said in the clip, they did not talk about the 811 or 921 again for the rest of the show.

No the 508 is not part of the deal.

Basically they are unloading the left over 508's they have for $149. They are wacking you $50 more for the unit since the 501 does not have to pay monthly DVR fees.

Scott Greczkowski said:

The MP3 is attached.

Actually, it does sound like a defect in the chip, not a problem procuring it. (Unless it was a problem relating to procuring a new, non-defective chip.)

I wouldn't think there is a problem with this component on any of the 811 units already shipped to Dish's customer base. Coming from an electronics manufacturer myself, Jim's comments sound like an everyday occurance for us at our plant. The manufacturer of a component (whether it is a resistor, oscillator, IC, power supply, connector, cable assembly, whatever) had issues with manufacturing their part. This happens all the time, in fact we had a $1250 motor go out in a machine at my plant today that has shut a $2.5 million line down. That means our customers will have a shortage of their units until this motor can be replaced (glad I started my vacation today!).

No worries guys, Hakuna Matata (can you guess where I'm headed for vacation?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)