Are 2 HDMI Inputs Necessary for my proposed system?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cohenri

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
In deciding between a Pioneer and Panasonic Plasma, one of the items that came up was that Pioneer has 2 HDMI inputs while the Panasonic Consumer has only 1 and the Panasonic Commercial has no HDMI inputs, but one can be added. I am builing my home theater from the ground up and I would like to be prepared for the future. For example, I hope to eventually get an HD DVD player and/or possibly Playstation III (with Bluray) or XBOX 360. I am also considering the Denon AVR 2807 receiver which reportedly has HDMI connectivity.

I currently have Direct TV and will convert to Direct TV HD DVR when I set up this system. My entire system will be set up in built-in's in my living room so it will be difficult to make changes (especially to the TV) once everything is installed.

My questions are:

1) Can I connect the Direct TV and eventual HD DVD player to the receiver with HDMI and then the Denon Receiver to a single HDMI input in the Panasonic plasma without losing picture quality?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, is there another reason I would want to have two HDMI inputs in the TV?

Obviously there is a large price difference between the Pioneer (especially the Elite) as compared to the Panasonics. I will be making my decision based on more than the HDMI connection. However, this would be a factor in my decision and I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, cohenri!

Assuming you are buying HDTV (not EDTV), HDMI input is a must! Do not buy an HDTV set without HDMI input (if they still make them), or you will not be able to play some of HD movies in full resolution in the near future.

You cannot connect two components to the same HDMI input at the same time without using a special HDMI switch. However, some AV receivers, including Denon AVR-2807, have a built-in HDMI switch.

thanks

Thanks for the words of welcome.

I'm still curious - can I connect a Direct TV receiver and a HD DVD player to the Denon 2807 receiver (both with HDMI connections) and then connect the Denon receiver to the TV with its outgoing HDMI connector and not lose picture quality? In other words, a string connection as opposed to a direct connection from DTV receiver and HDDVD to the TV through 2 HDMI ports on the TV.

I don't see why not, it's just 1's and 0's! As long as the Denon has the bandwidth to carry the signal you'll be fine, and I'd be more comfortable doing it with the Denon than a cheapo receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts