Are all Installers.........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

keller814

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Cincinnati
I dont know if anyone remembers my long story about how I moved Aptartments(to one that was facing south) and paid the fee to switch units. I just finished moving today and I am beat. Anyway I have my installation appointment tommorrow and I cant help but be nervous, after reading some of these posts here about bad experiences with installers. If the job is a little too tough and he just says "hmmmmm, no" I am going to be devastated. Do ALL installers apparently have this kind of attitude? Should I go into my story about all the trouble I went through? I hope I can come on here later with some good news. Someone please tell me that they had a perfect installation to ease my mind!!

I loved doing apartment installs when I was an installer. They're relatively easy to do, they reward creativity and you usually have to do very little crawling or wall fishing.

However, and this is the unfortunate part of satellite-delivered content, they're somewhat binary in nature. If they can be installed, they can be isntalled. If a balcony is facing the wrong way there's not much that I, as an installer, can do to make it work. Those are just the breaks.

I will say this- if you have a southward facing apartment, a good clear balcony to mount the dish at, no trees in the line of sight, and written permission from your landlord, I would not worry about it at all. Most techs would jump at the opportunity to have one or two installs like this each day.

Thats great to hear thanks. I understand about him not being able to in my last apartment. There was nothing he could do. The only reason I worry now is that yes I do have an Apt facing south and has a perfect view of southeast(I live in Vegas, so this is where the last installer said it had to be pointing) But like I said my only worry is there is a tree about 10-15 feet away from my balcony and about 5 feet higher than my balcony. I have looked at a satellite alignment program and entered those distances and as long as I have a 33 degree angle elevation I will clear it. Directv's site says I need 45 degrees so I should be just fine. But then again I am new to satellites and might not have any idea what Im talking about.:D

A tree 10-15 feet away from your balcony and 5 feet higher than said balcony would put the tip of it anywhere from 30 deg. to 22.5 deg. respectively. In the Pacific NW, a treetop at 30 deg. would be cutting it too close. In Vegas, you'll be just fine. :)

You have just taken a load off my mind thank you very much, I think I will fine too, just paranoid that I put my wife through a huge pain for nothing. Ill let you know what happens.:)

I don't know the name of it, but years ago farmers use to use something they would put by the root of a tree, and it would be history in a couple of days. :D

Good luck.

SmityWhity said:
I don't know the name of it, but years ago farmers use to use something they would put by the root of a tree, and it would be history in a couple of days. :D

Good luck.
I WISH! I dont think the Apt. management would appreciate that much though.:D

SmityWhity said:
I don't know the name of it, but years ago farmers use to use something they would put by the root of a tree, and it would be history in a couple of days....
It's called a horse! I built a salt-box shed with a small fenced-in area for our pony when we moved where we are now. It was in a partially cleared area. Within about 2 months that sucker had killed absolutely everything within its boundary including several large oak trees. Those were done in by the urine. The rest of the smaller trees he killed by stripping-off the bark. Amazing how much damage they can do...!

Wish I had a horse to tie to my neighbors tree :cool: She's too cheap to trim it and it will be a problem for me in the future and with the hurricanes we get. I wish there was some secret way to kill a tree ? I know if you cut a ring around the trunk it will die, but how do I do that undetected ? Whats the secret ???:confused: Any farmers know the secret ???

I can finally rest about the satellite issue! My installer was awesome and there was no problem getting a line of sight. I am so relieved and I love Directv now.:)

Is that right ? I might have to get the protection plan if so. I'm getting heavy pixelation on my HI-DEF channels only. Directv says its the LNB going bad but the tech they send out says it is the neighbors tree - Even though I dont have pixelation at night or on overcast days when the suns not out ???:confused:

johnml said:
Is that right ? I might have to get the protection plan if so. I'm getting heavy pixelation on my HI-DEF channels only. Directv says its the LNB going bad but the tech they send out says it is the neighbors tree - Even though I dont have pixelation at night or on overcast days when the suns not out ???:confused:

Just keep in mind, the protection plan does not take effect until 30 days (31st day) after it is activated, unless that policy has changed.

And as I said to you in your other post, it is likely your LNB is oversensitive to heat, and replacement may solve your problem. If you aren't sure, see if you can't cast some shade (umbrella) (or setup a water sprinkler [*] on LNBs to stay cool) on your dish during the hours they normally act up, if the shade or water cooling helps, then you got your answer.

[*] Be careful of applying cold water to the LNB if it is REAL hot, as the temp differential could cause cracking, it is unlikely, but I'd hate to be the cause of something like that happening.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned a long long time ago that a rusty old nail would do the trick, but I don't know if it's true or not.......:D

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts