Are CBS, NBC, and ABC in decline?

Then look at CTV 2 in Canada they did broadcast Game of Thrones FTA OTA!?:rolleyes::hatsoff
CTV 2 provides complementary programming to Bell Media's larger CTV network, though since the late 2010s it has increasingly aired repeats in primetime, with only a handful of first-run programs apart from late-night talk shows (simulcast from NBC and CBS) and stations' local newscasts.

I've seen many changes since I first had my eyes locked on the TV set.

I still miss the days when ABC courted a teenage demographic with TGIF on Friday evenings and courted the male demographic with Monday Night Football.

At the same time, CBS was often looked down upon as the "old peoples' network" due to most of their shows being targeted towards an older demographic outside news, sports or Saturday morning cartoons.

What all TV networks need to do to stay relevant in this day and age, is adapt or die, which is what they did in the 1990s to compete with the Fox Broadcasting Company, when they started to grow at a fast pace (they even gave us The Simpsons as a result of that growth!).

When Fox outbid CBS for the NFL's NFC football package in the early 1990s, many network affiliates formerly aligned with ABC/NBC/CBS aligned with the network as a result, creating a huge "musical chairs" game for many TV stations across the country, when ABC/NBC/CBS abandoned their old VHF channel positions in some market for the inferior UHF channel positions which used to be Fox affiliates.

This was during the analog dark ages when many of the higher UHF positions put many TV stations at a disadvantage with their poor reception in some areas.

There have been so many changes. I do remember the days of the Saturday morning cartoons on CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX and flipping between the channels to see the ones I wanted. Then there was the Disney Afternoon - being in Chicago it was on WGN - not sure if it was on any of the big 4 networks outside of the area.

It used to be "must see TV" where there was a series that had your roped in. I enjoy Young Sheldon now - really the only thing I watch on network TV that is not sports related. Back when CBS had 2 and a Half Men I enjoyed that. Maybe my tastes changed going from a child to adult, but I felt like there were more things I could relate to for the sitcoms. The TGIF lineup was great, but also there were things on almost every day that I would like to see. I don't relate to the reality TV or competitions that are on now.

I remember when Deal or No Deal was a big thing, then NBC went the route of oversaturation I felt. Same thing with Who wants to be a Millionaire before it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)