Are dish hole placements identical?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
I am replacing a round dish with a ka/ku dish. Will I just be able to connect the new dish exactly in place of the round dish?

Maybe I am using incorrect terms. This is not the HD Slimline Dish. It is however the dish which will also bring in local channels.

Maybe I am using incorrect terms. This is not the HD Slimline Dish. It is however the dish which will also bring in local channels.

The ka/ku dish is a Slimline, unless you have an older model. Either way, they have a much larger foot on the base compared to the one used on the old round dish.

The old 18" or "round" dish used a 1 1/2" diameter mast. The newer ones as of about a little over a year ago use the same 2" mast the current HD (Ka/Ku "Slimline") dish uses.

Very likely your mount is the old one, so yes, you'd need a new mast installed.

The old 18" or "round" dish used a 1 1/2" diameter mast. The newer ones as of about a little over a year ago use the same 2" mast the current HD (Ka/Ku "Slimline") dish uses.

Very likely your mount is the old one, so yes, you'd need a new mast installed.

"Are dish hole placements identical?"

I don't think he's talking about the mast size, but the mounting plate.

You are correct, obviously about the mast size being different.

For the OP,
The Mount hole pattern is different between the old set up and the Slimline set ups, the SL ones are a bit larger.

By "place" he could mean do the dishes share the same LOS. Can the same location be used for either size and type dish without locating a new pole elsewhere.

Maybe,

Joe.........answer still yes for pole place........no for pole size

New dish will most likely go where old one went. New one will have a larger foot plate for mounting. As an installer I usually remove the mast and old dish. I leave the old foot plate. I mount new mast. The old foot plate remains so there is no leaking from damage to roof while removing it. Sometimes It can be removed, but if a lot of sealer was used it does more damage to remove plate than to just leave it and take off the old mast. Directv has a new mount for the KaKu slimline. it is about a foot tall and does not need the monopoles. Each installation will vary and yours may or may not be able to use this mast. Discuss it with your installer and see if he has and can install the new mount. This new mount isn't for every situation, but yours could qualify. The installer will let you know and if he has one can put one up for you. They really look nice and I try to use them as often as I can.

New dish will most likely go where old one went. New one will have a larger foot plate for mounting. As an installer I usually remove the mast and old dish. I leave the old foot plate. I mount new mast. The old foot plate remains so there is no leaking from damage to roof while removing it. Sometimes It can be removed, but if a lot of sealer was used it does more damage to remove plate than to just leave it and take off the old mast. Directv has a new mount for the KaKu slimline. it is about a foot tall and does not need the monopoles. Each installation will vary and yours may or may not be able to use this mast. Discuss it with your installer and see if he has and can install the new mount. This new mount isn't for every situation, but yours could qualify. The installer will let you know and if he has one can put one up for you. They really look nice and I try to use them as often as I can.

Do you have a link or pic of that new mount? How would that one do in a hurricane vrs the typical Plate/mast style?

Do you have a link or pic of that new mount? How would that one do in a hurricane vrs the typical Plate/mast style?

The mount would be fine in a hurricane, just as the mount of the old style would be.

If you know a hurricane is coming, take the Reflector off (4 bolts) and you'll more than likely be fine, when its past, bolt the reflector back on and your good to go, If you have power that is.

The mount would be fine in a hurricane, just as the mount of the old style would be.

If you know a hurricane is coming, take the Reflector off (4 bolts) and you'll more than likely be fine, when its past, bolt the reflector back on and your good to go, If you have power that is.

That's what I did last year when Irene came through. It's the only time in six years that I took it down, IIRC.

That's what I did last year when Irene came through. It's the only time in six years that I took it down, IIRC.

That's what I did with my dishes for each hurricane. Works great! So much easier than repointing them, especially with the motorized one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)