Are Dish Network Installers good FTA installers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kewltea

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I plan to switch to dish network soon. I was hoping to ask the installer to setup my fta dish as well. Are they usually willing to help, specifically with the mounting of the dish and wiring?

Last edited:
I am sure any good DBS installer should be able to do one, especially a fixed system and the cable runs. But I might look into finding a international installer if there is such a thing, or maybe ask a GlobeCast (is this correct) installer and for sure a BUD experienced installer for a motorized unit (not that its that hard, it not) but if you really are wanting the assistance. I am not certified or trained and I have managed all my friends and my own installs since 1994; even cable runs. The BUD was a bit tough and I did recruit some pro help. These are only my humble opinions and YMMV! Good luck!

Are they usually willing to help, specifically with the mounting of the dish and wiring?
They often have a certain amount of work to do for the day, and spending extra hours on your job, would throw that off.
You could see if one might want to come back on a weekend, I suppose.
Maybe we should hear from the men who do that... you may need to post this question in the Dish or DirecTV section, where they hang out.

Certainly installing a fixed dish would be very similar to installing a DBS dish.
No reason to think they'd know your FTA receiver, though, so that might be a bit of a problem.
But, if they got it mounted and the cable run, and left the fine adjustment to you, ya might still be ahead of the game.

I drive through LA area Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean neighborhoods all the time, and see FTA dishes, so there must be plenty of local ethnic FTA installers around.
If you see such a dish on a Chinese business, ask them who did the install.
You shouldn't find getting a referral much of a problem.

Depends on the installer. Most installers will not have an issue running the wiring or mounting the Dish, but for some installers they do have a hard time pointing the Dish.

My installers are great, they do good work but they want nouthing to do with FTA.

Many I've talked with had zero experience with HH motors, which is probably the most complex aspect of an FTA installation. They would, however, know many shortcuts to the basic install, proper grounding, and cable installation.

Don't be afraid to ask them if they'd be interested in your install, as I haven't seen one yet that wasn't interested in helping someone.

Most will not touch FTA or Canadian. Do yourself a huge favor and install it yourself if possible.

Do agree as well. But look at this way, with the installation rate these two company pay, not a good and qualify installer will stay in business. But FTA installer will charge a bit more and still able to make a living, so they will accept to learn and install other related method for satellite dish. These installers will has no problem to install DTV or Dishnet dishes while those DTV or Dish installers has no such ability for FTA.

I don't plan on having them configure my system. My main headache is the mounting and wiring. If I can get them to mount the dish and feed the wire into my house, that'll alleviate most of my headache.

I don't plan on having them configure my system. My main headache is the mounting and wiring. If I can get them to mount the dish and feed the wire into my house, that'll alleviate most of my headache.

Assuming your dish is going on a standard "bent pipe" mount, they should be able to handle it.

Be sure to stress that your FTA dish mount must be placed where you have specified. The guy doing the install may not understand your need for a line-of-sight to as much of the arc as possible, not just the subscription birds.

Here are some tips on hiring an installer: http://sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Professional-Installation.htm

If you bought your system from Sadoun, have your installer call us. We will be happy to assist your installer if they have any questions on how to setup a stationary or motorized system.

Most DBS and DSS installers are not familiar with FTA systems or installation. On average it takes a little bit more time to install an FTA system than a DBS/DSS system.

I would highly recommend that installers learn how to install these kind of systems. Almost every city has ethnic communities that need this service. It wil be another revenue stream for an installer. Motorized systems usually cost more money (50%+ ) to install.

what's the going rate for a stationary/motorized install?

It depends on where you live.

Here in central OHIO it runs between $100-120 for a standard stationary installation. And $160 for standard motorized installation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)