Are FoxNews and Dish Even Talking?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Wholeheartedly agree on FXX. And paying $800 million for some dusty old Simpson reruns?

Everyone should remember who owns The Simpsons...Fox...who also owns FXX, so they basically paid $800 million to themselves now except for royalty payment....total cost is zero, they just make a couple notes in their ledger.

I am really surprised by the passion these channels have with their fans. You would almost believe there is absolutely no other place to get your NEWS from. I personally NEVER watch any of these news channels because I happen to believe I am smart enough to figure out what I am thinking about a subject without being TOLD by a news reader. If FOX is trying to drag other channels that into the negotiations that are not up for renewal than I would have no problem walking away from the talks and let them pull off my system and then let them explain to their advertisers why their ads are no longer in 14 million homes. I cannot recall watching a single program FXX because even though this is suppose to be skewed toward comedy, FOX apparently did not feel strongly enough about it and kept their two most successful comedy shows, ARCHER and LOUIE on their FX channel. So take that for what its worth.

Reactions: ChadT41
You talked to one local Dish Installer, in a rural area, and he is the judge for the rest of Dish's 14.082 million customers? Interesting, he must get paid VERY well. I have talked with many customers here in Phoenix Arizona, and they don't care, and half didn't even know the channel went down. I still will not use them as a reference, as they do not even make up a percent of the customer base....The one I will use, is the multiple call center reps, including the loyalty team, that I am friends with that tell me it is a crappy time, but as far as takedowns go, it actually is not that bad... And those are just the calls they are taking... There are a few fanatics, but the facts are, Fox's top show has 2.72 million viewers, as of the last report I saw(admittedly was from Jan 2014), and that was the O'Reilly Factor. Thsoe 2.72 million were from all tv providers, not just Dish. If you were to add up the 280 million Pay TV viewers in the US, then fraction out Dish's portion of that market, by the 2.72 million tuning into their most watched show....Then you will understand why what you are saying is utterly ridiculous. Dish will lose a couple hundred thousand, if the VAST majority of Fox fans left.. They will also pick up a couple 10000 viewers that are fanatically anti Far Right... Their Churn, will be alittle higher then normal, but nowhere near the numbers you are portraying. Also, a lot of customers are happy with sports(The competitor does not have Pac-12 still IIRC, and Dish still offers the lowest price, so They do not care if one of their many channels are missing. Fox's reports support this. Fox reported only 146K customers reported to Dish(this number may have increased, but still in the 100k range), as their devoted staff. Reasonable Guarantee that the customers that reported directly to Dish, also were included in the 146K customers being used as pawns by Fox.
So you are saying this will be a good thing for Dish because a couple hundred thousand people will flock to Dish because of something they don't carry? Yeah, run that commercial.

Love the logic: I never watch those channels because they have nothing for me.

How do you know if you don't watch?

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Give it a week and call your buddies back, 146 thousand is nothing compared to what is coming. Charlie and the Dish Dealers posting here are missing the boat. Most of the subscribers that like Fox news are gentlemen/women and will give it a week or two to settle, then look out, heads will be rolling if no return of Fox. 146k already raising cain with Dish. If this goes on for much longer look for them to be crawling out of the woodwork. Never seen this kind of ruckus before, even when Dish lost CNN. If Dish looses Fox for good, you can bet on loosing a million or two subscribers. The 200k you stated is way off the mark and a bad estimate by Dish people. Just like post # 60 in this thread quoted below, they are giving Dish time to negotiate.
No carrier can not afford to lose the top rated news channel.
You seem to forget that the majority of Americans don't vote, except during Presidential cycles and even then, the percentage isn't that high. A lot of those voters don't watch Cable news. They don't want to be bothered by the partisan hype. May not even care about the channels between 200 and 300.

Fox News has a very loyal base, but some in that base seem to mistake their passion for it for the nation's passion. Dish won't suffer too much from this. FX, on the other hand would be a larger loss. That has programming to tends to the mainstream audience. That is what matters most to Dish. Besides, this isn't about Fox News anyway. It is about a rebranding of channels within an existing contract that have less programming than before the rebranding, and a demand for an outrageous fee hike. Fox is using you as a pawn to get those undeserved higher rates on channels not involved in this contract negotiation.

If this were just about Fox News, you'd be watching it right now.

This is all part of a long running feud between Rupert and Charlie.. The only real losers are the sub's...because when all is said and done they will pay more money

Reactions: ChadT41
Do you really think Fox is guilty of "extortion"? That is a Federal Crime. Same thing with "hostage-taking". It is just a lot of overblown rhetoric. I think Charlie may be losing it.

Of course it is extortion to hold a popular channel hostage to break a contract for unpopular channels that now have the burden of sports costs. Nobody has said that it is criminal extortion. It is an ugly way to do business, but it will never be seen in court.

Sadly Dish has more to lose. FoxNews is popular on Dish, but the Dish viewers are a relatively small part of The overall viewership. I wont leave Dish, I like the Hopper system too much, but I am considering a DirecTV non DVR hookup for our family room TV with a $25 a month promotional cost for a year. (We only watch FoxNews live.) I'll decide how to deal with my options after the year is up.

I will always blame 20th Century Fox for the monetary and quality of life cost.

Reactions: Rolling Joe
Now more than a week since their disconnect, there doesn’t appear to be any immediate resolution in sight in the Dish Network-Fox News Channel stalemate.
On Sunday afternoon, officials at Fox News said there weren’t any negotiations between the parties, and that viewers of the services were making their displeasure and intent to switch providers known via phone and social media.
Dish declined to comment on the situation on Sunday.

multichannel.com

Only live Fox news will satisfy your typical Fox news junky.

I don’t think you can fully capture the value Fox News brings by looking at the Nielsen ratings alone,” said Craig Moffett, the longtime financial analyst who specializes in cable. Mr. Moffett, who heads his own firm, said that the key to Fox News’s continued financial strength has been “the level of passion and engagement” it inspires in its viewers.

That translates into big money because cable systems now pay Fox News one of the highest per-subscriber fees in television, 94 cents a month, topped in cable television only by a few networks, most of which have expensive sports rights to pay. (By comparison, CNN gets 57 cents a subscriber, according to SNL Kagan Research.) As Mr. Moffett put it, “There are a handful of networks consumers are deeply passionate about out of all proportion to Nielsen ratings, and distributors know if you don’t have those networks, then woe be to you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/b...n-pays-for-fox-news.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&
Chad, what is your honest opinion as to who will be forced to cave in on this dispute? I do not look for Fox to concede very much, if any. Do you think Charlie will take one for the team?

The problem with your argument is that this isn't about the cost of Fox News, in fact from all accounts it isn't even about Fox News. I have 100% confidence if it was they would have had an agreement a very long time ago but it's about other channels and DISH already having a contract Fox wants to break. Just as with the NY RSN's DISH crunches the numbers and decides if paying a ransom is worth it, or let the kidnappers keep the product. (Unlike the NY RSN's this is a national channel and of course will be taken into account) I miss Fox News but I pay $180 soon $200 less with DISH than if I had Direct for virtually the same product. There's a limit to what or how many channels I will pay to not get but we're nowhere near that limit over these set of channels.

I happen to agree Fox News is a channel DISH has to pay more than it would like to keep and I have posted that in the past, as I did with CBS and TNT/TBS.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Faux News only has 2-3 million viewers...I doubt they all have Dish...

that didn't take long.......

facepalm.jpg

Unfortunately, what is there to discuss between Dish and Fox if Fox insists on including channels that aren't even part of this contract with the discussions?
I don't usually watch FoxNews...
But when I do...
It's on The Daily Show...
Which has not been cut off...
Lol
Not to go too far off topic, it'd be fun for TDS to do a mock of Fox and Friends like they did of a Beck program.

Reactions: KAB
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts