Are most channels using Dolby (AC-3) audio now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisW6ATV

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Hayward, Cal. USA
Hi-

I started tinkering with my satellite equipment in the last week, after doing nothing but listen to 4DTV music channels for the last few years. I reconnected my FTA receiver (Satwork ST3688) slaved to the 4DTV DSR-922's C-band connection and did a couple of blind scans of satellites (at 91 and 101; between the "real" names, the Satwork receiver's names, and the DSR-922's names, it seems easiest to just go with the positions). The receiver stored a number of TV and radio channels, as expected from the Lyngsat charts, but most have no audio that I can hear. The Satwork receiver cannot decode AC-3 sound (I remember that when I bought it, only the PBS feeds used that format so I did not care). Is Dolby/AC-3 audio now the common format for most services? Is there a way to tell from the Lyngsat charts or elsewhere, which channels use Dolby audio? Thanks-

Chris

Yes I believe DolbyDigital/AC3 is the standard these days. If your satellite receiver can't decode it does it by any chance have a digital audio out port so that you can use a external decoder like a 5.1 audio receiver?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I reconnected my FTA receiver (Satwork ST3688)
whoa there is a blast from the past. Had a 3688 and a 3618 at one time. Was neat as the software could be used in both (if I remember the 3618 had no motor option)

Also note: DVB-S2 modulation and mpg4* video is becoming the 'go to' standard. *(h264) mpeg4 is usually indicated @ lyngsat
Receiver should work well on G19 Ku - is mostly, 99.9%, DVB-S, mpeg2 audio and video.
For others, you may find Mikes list easier to use. http://www.global-cm.net/mpeg2central.html
Audio PID is MPEG-2 unless color coded.
Yellow background for Dolby AC-3 only,
and Green- Blue background for DTS-AAC audio.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses.

Yes I believe DolbyDigital/AC3 is the standard these days. If your satellite receiver can't decode it does it by any chance have a digital audio out port so that you can use a external decoder like a 5.1 audio receiver?
The Satwork ST3688 does not have a digital output, though apparently Pacific or European versions did. I went so far as to research the STI processor chip in the unit and it does have a S/PDIF output pin, but nothing is connected to it and it would need to have been programmed in to be active.

I think it is time for me to join the post-2005 era and buy a MicroHD receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)