Are Network OTA channels in Steep decline?

vcr1980

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 4, 2018
CBS, NBC, ABC, and CW have seemed in decline for awhile but are they in actual steep decline? What is their future?

I know they are probably going to get more and more viewers from their streaming side but will they just continue to fill their over-the-air waves with "cheap fillers."

In other words, their shows are a lot more watered down. They do a lot of reality, variety, game-show, sort of dumb filler programming.

Is their news even doing well anymore?

In short, will they continue to be around and if so, will they continue to basically just fill their space much like cable seems to be doing with endless marathons of the same show.

Keep in mind that a lot of programming was shut down or working with strict COVID restrictions over the past year. I'd give it some time to recover before making any forecasts...
Good point. I started noticing it around 2015 though.

I will agree that their programming has really gotten silly in some cases. I find myself on PBS more often and my local channels offer a nice variety on their subs. Lucky to receive 2 PBS channels. Watch Create a lot. If age group matters, I'm up there.

For me, I mainly watch network programming for sports - and mainly the NFL and College Football, but I will throw on the MLB, NBA, or golf that could be on. So in my main arena, I haven't seen that much of a change. However, I do agree with you from the sitcom side of things. I have turned on some of the sitcoms and I really can't get into them, and there is a lot of filler programming of reality TV/game shows that don't feel quite right because of the pandemic and covid restrictions. Even the Price is Right really isn't what it used to be when there is no live studio audience there. I really enjoyed The Office, Two and a Half Men, The Middle, Big Bang Theory. I don't have the exact dates that those shows ended, but it was in the timeframe you mention. And from what I have seen, the replacements don't have the same staying power.

I find myself watching ME TV and some of the subchannels now a days - mainly LAFF - when there isn't anything good on.

Network TV remains a license to print money, both for the network and the station.

There has been a decline in the number of serious efforts at entertainment programming, replaced with idiotic filler like faux reality shows, game shows, news commentary, and other such crud, but that is just their greed showing through.

Lack of high quality uncut uncensored TV programs of OTA FTA is blamed on FCC and the PTC, so no Games of Thrones, Sopranos and many others that's can be used for syndication! :rolleyes:

FTA OTA Networks and local stations should be able not to worry about the restrictions imposed by the FCC and besides FCC need to focus on freq, band plans, ecomm, Type acceptances RX and TX devices and many other things, but not programs contents.

Censoring TV programs is a waste of taxpayer's money and time...:p:facepalm

I will agree that their programming has really gotten silly in some cases. I find myself on PBS more often and my local channels offer a nice variety on their subs. Lucky to receive 2 PBS channels. Watch Create a lot. If age group matters, I'm up there.
Here in Rochester, MN I get two Create TV channels, KMSQ 15.3, and KYIN 24.4. However, what confuses me is that the PBS stations from the Twin Cities (KTCA/KTCI) don’t have a Create TV affiliate being that it’s a much bigger market and that Create TV is a pretty popular channel.

Here in Rochester, MN I get two Create TV channels, KMSQ 15.3, and KYIN 24.4. However, what confuses me is that the PBS stations from the Twin Cities (KTCA/KTCI) don’t have a Create TV affiliate being that it’s a much bigger market and that Create TV is a pretty popular channel.
Bad grammar there. It should say "even when it's a much bigger market", not "being that it's a much bigger market". My mistyping could have confused some people and I can't edit it anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)