Are the wireless Joey's really this bad?

All three wireless Joey's are in upstairs bedrooms, the hopper is on the main floor. The WiFi signal must travel through the ceiling and one wall to get to the master bedroom. Straight line distance between the Joey in the MB and the WAP in the living room is not more than 20 feet. I don't have any issues getting WiFi from the internet modem upstairs.
The signal from your WiFi router and the signal fro ma WAP are 2 different things. I would try and get a tech out to relocate the WAP upstairs, if possible so it's closer to the Joeys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Doesn't the WAP have to be connected by ethernet to the Hopper?
There is a way to move the WAP closer by using a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) connected to a cable that's comes from the Hub - connected as a Joey, in a room with a wired Joey or split off of a cable going to a Wired Joey. The WAP can then connect to the HIC via Ethernet and that's how you can move it closer to the Wireless Joeys

I think there may be coax outputs in some of the rooms, but I have no idea what they may or not be connected to. I may have to go into the basement and see where the satellite wires come into the house and if they are split or not. The house is 5 years old (purchased last year) and had Dish service previously (the dish was already there on a pole in the yard) but I have no idea about how it was wired. Not knowing how it was wired I went with the wireless Joeys.

One thing that puzzles me though, why does the wireless joey in the master bedroom function normally for days/weeks before I have to go through the whole reset process on everything in the chain. I would think if it was a signal problem it would be present ALL the time. I get a signal strength of about 60 at the wireless Joey in the master bedroom.

I think there may be coax outputs in some of the rooms, but I have no idea what they may or not be connected to. I may have to go into the basement and see where the satellite wires come into the house and if they are split or not. The house is 5 years old (purchased last year) and had Dish service previously (the dish was already there on a pole in the yard) but I have no idea about how it was wired. Not knowing how it was wired I went with the wireless Joeys.

One thing that puzzles me though, why does the wireless joey in the master bedroom function normally for days/weeks before I have to go through the whole reset process on everything in the chain. I would think if it was a signal problem it would be present ALL the time. I get a signal strength of about 60 at the wireless Joey in the master bedroom.

It does sound like there could be an issue with the Wireless Access Point or the Wireless Joeys not able to keep a steady signal, causing you to reset the system to get it back linked. This is definitely something that we can check and see if an appointment may be needed to get a permanent resolution. We are unable to access accounts here but you can reach out to our Technical Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist with this issue. - Jasmine D.

If the house is only five years old and there are cable outlets in all the rooms, then I would forgo the wireless Joey’s and swap them out for regular Joey threes. How’s that new would be wired correctly, all coming from a homerun point, either outside or in the basement

Well, the person on Tech Chat recommended doing a power cord reset on everything in the house, starting with the Hopper, and leaving everything off until the Hopper comes back to live TV, then powering up the next item in the chain (WAP, then all the WJ's). I am not overly confident that will correct the issue but I tried it last night. Will see how long it lasts.

I am not sure there are cable runs in all the rooms. There is one in the master bedroom where we are having issues, but it is behind a dresser and not on the same wall as the TV/WJ. I don't really want a coax (or HDMI) cable running across the room to where the TV is now, and the wife probably would not want to rearrange the bedroom furniture just for the TV. I will take a look at it and see what my options are. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: HipKat
Well, resetting everything in order from the Hopper to the Wireless Joeys lasted 10 days. Saturday Wireless Joey unlinked from the Hopper suddenly, screen went black, then the searching for Hopper message. I hit the home button 3 times to look at status, is showed the Wireless Joey unlinked with a STRONG link strength???? I had to once again restart everything starting with the Hopper, then the WAP, then the Wireless Joeys to get signal back to the Joeys. One thing I was wondering about, when I go downstairs to restart everything, the WAP has the Green, Red and Blue lights lit up, is that correct? When I restart it, it seems to have the Green and Blue lights on.

I am convinced that there is an equipment issue as it happens too regularly to be chance (with good steady signal strength at the WJ's). I don't know which is bad, the WAP or the WJ but I am guessing one of them has an intermittent problem as this has been going on intermittently for months. Still not terribly happy with the tech suggestion to restart everything and that would fix it. I am fairly techie and have had Dish for 17 years continuously so I can generally take care of minor issues but rebooting has NOT addressed it.

Reactions: peggy97850
Well, resetting everything in order from the Hopper to the Wireless Joeys lasted 10 days. Saturday Wireless Joey unlinked from the Hopper suddenly, screen went black, then the searching for Hopper message. I hit the home button 3 times to look at status, is showed the Wireless Joey unlinked with a STRONG link strength???? I had to once again restart everything starting with the Hopper, then the WAP, then the Wireless Joeys to get signal back to the Joeys. One thing I was wondering about, when I go downstairs to restart everything, the WAP has the Green, Red and Blue lights lit up, is that correct? When I restart it, it seems to have the Green and Blue lights on.

I am convinced that there is an equipment issue as it happens too regularly to be chance (with good steady signal strength at the WJ's). I don't know which is bad, the WAP or the WJ but I am guessing one of them has an intermittent problem as this has been going on intermittently for months. Still not terribly happy with the tech suggestion to restart everything and that would fix it. I am fairly techie and have had Dish for 17 years continuously so I can generally take care of minor issues but rebooting has NOT addressed it.
Green is power. Blue is connected to Hopper. Red/Orange is connected to WiFi Joey. Instead of rebooting, on the Wireless Joey, go into Diagnostics screen, Network, Internet Settings then see if one ofd those Buttons gives you the option to re-link the Joey by pressing Select on the Joey and WPS on the WAP or try Resetting Network form the Joey and see if it reconnects

Green is power. Blue is connected to Hopper. Red/Orange is connected to WiFi Joey. Instead of rebooting, on the Wireless Joey, go into Diagnostics screen, Network, Internet Settings then see if one ofd those Buttons gives you the option to re-link the Joey by pressing Select on the Joey and WPS on the WAP or try Resetting Network form the Joey and see if it reconnects

Re-linking, yes that usually works, but I think it can be done in Diagnostics/Whole Home by pressing select on the unlinked Joey.

Yes it can be done from the Wireless Joey, it actually puts a message up asking if you want to re-link, and I would still have to run downstairs to press the button on the WAP (just like if I was resetting everything), and aren't these things supposed to relink themselves? It tries to relink but can't seem to establish the wireless connection after unlinking. That does not address why it keeps unlinking in the first place with good signal, that is a band-aid.

Reactions: peggy97850
I think I am going to switch the Wireless Joey from one of the other bedrooms and see if that isolates the problem. I have not heard anyone complain of the same issue with the other WJ's. Maybe that will give me some better info to maybe get a defective piece of equipment replaced.

Reactions: KaptainRandom
Well, the Wireless Joey that I swapped from the spare bedroom to the master unlinked itself after 8 days. I did not have to reboot everything in the system, I did a power cord reset on the WJ twice (first time it just had the 9999 Starting up message forever so I unplugged it again) and it linked itself and went back to live tv. I am wondering if the WAP has an intermittent issue since the same problem has happened with two different WJ's in the same location. Is there a number to call that does NOT go through 45 minutes of restarting everything like I have already done? I have already had a tech chat about the issue.

Well, the Wireless Joey that I swapped from the spare bedroom to the master unlinked itself after 8 days. I did not have to reboot everything in the system, I did a power cord reset on the WJ twice (first time it just had the 9999 Starting up message forever so I unplugged it again) and it linked itself and went back to live tv. I am wondering if the WAP has an intermittent issue since the same problem has happened with two different WJ's in the same location. Is there a number to call that does NOT go through 45 minutes of restarting everything like I have already done? I have already had a tech chat about the issue.
Maybe your WAP needs to be moved a bit closer...

The WAP is downstairs about 6 feet from the Hopper. The WJ in question is upstairs and probably 15 feet straight line distance from the WAP. The WJ gets consistent signal strength of 58-62, and works flawlessly for days on end and then suddenly unlinks itself. If it was a signal issue it would happen ALL the time (not once every 8-14 days). There is no rhyme or reason to when it will unlink, it may happen at 10pm or it may happen at 6am, usually the hopper is not in use at the time and no one is in the living room where the hopper/WAP is located.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)