Are there any other states besides So Dak that DO NOT have Locals HD?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I know that larger population areas seem to be getting attention first on HD locals, but I think there should be some other guidelines, such as getting each state represented and then going back and picking up large cities, so wonder what other states besides mine (SD) that don't have ANY HD locals ANYWHERE?

The cities are added in the order they rank as far as number of viewers. Largest markets first, smallest last. Not necessarily fair, but how it's done. The link below should give you a good idea of where your city ranks.

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market

Actually...I don't think E* has been following DMA order at all. They have bounced around quite a bit. In fact, I seem to recall when they put out a list of the first 50 cities they "planned" to add, several of the top 10 DMAs weren't listed at all.

Wyoming does not have any HD broadcast on DISH, because Wyoming does not have any stations other than PBS broadcasting any HD signals. The PBS signal that DISH arries for Wyoming is SD. The HD PBS signal that is available over the air in parts of Wyoming is spectacular.

Wyoming does not have any HD broadcast on DISH, because Wyoming does not have any stations other than PBS broadcasting any HD signals. The PBS signal that DISH arries for Wyoming is SD. The HD PBS signal that is available over the air in parts of Wyoming is spectacular.

That's too bad--my daughter lives in Casper--is cable your only choice for HD then? Wyoming certainly needs it--way out in the boonies--like us, but again, I see that new technologies such as HD locals, as well as broadband internet never go where they are needed most, but always where they are needed least--in the big cities.

Maryland (Baltimore) does not have HD locals yet on E*. Philly and DC have them but not us.:confused:

Bookwalk - If you ran a business, you would spend tons of infrastructure dollars to provide services to the smallest amoutn of population ("the boonies" as you called it)and ignore where you have the largest groupings of potential customers, and best potential to MAKE money (the "Big Cities"?

And how do you figure the Cities "need it least"?

No locaLs in HD for louisiana? New orleans was promised for 2006, but still hasnt happened. When i signed up for dish in october 2006, the csr guaranteed they would be up by xmas 2006, at the very latest.Still not up!!

Bookwalk - If you ran a business, you would spend tons of infrastructure dollars to provide services to the smallest amoutn of population ("the boonies" as you called it)and ignore where you have the largest groupings of potential customers, and best potential to MAKE money (the "Big Cities"?

Most metro areas can receive the HD locals via OTA whereas most rural areas cannot.

Actually...I don't think E* has been following DMA order at all. They have bounced around quite a bit. In fact, I seem to recall when they put out a list of the first 50 cities they "planned" to add, several of the top 10 DMAs weren't listed at all.

They may not be anymore, I do remember them following the list at one point several years ago though.

I referred mainly to broadband internet--cities have a load of choices--cable, DSl, etc, but rural areas have maybe 2 choices--satellite or satellite at a higher cost for lower bandwidth, lots of latency and so no gaming of internet phone, etc.

Also--cities--you have the Verizon for HD, Cable, etc. Again, rural states have only satellite.

I referred mainly to broadband internet--cities have a load of choices--cable, DSl, etc, but rural areas have maybe 2 choices--satellite or satellite at a higher cost for lower bandwidth, lots of latency and so no gaming of internet phone, etc.

Also--cities--you have the Verizon for HD, Cable, etc. Again, rural states have only satellite.

Well, as someone who was born and raised in Montana and now living in Idaho, the only thing I have to say is that is the price you pay for living where you do. Services go where the customers are, so does the traffic, crowding, hectic pace of life, etc... That's the price you pay for living where you do. Cities need these services the most; more people, business needs, colleges, etc... If you "need" high-speed internet, HD television, etc... then you picked the wrong place to live. I don't mean to be harsh here, I used to live in a town where I had to drive 90 miles to shop for socks and underwear, so I know what its like. But face it, states like Montana, Wyoming and the Dakotas won't see network HD channels via satellite for years. Some locations may never get it. People in urban areas enjoy all the modern conveniences, but have to put up with a lot of hassles. People in rural areas don't spend two hours in traffic each way to/from work every day, but don't have all the entertainment choices.

They may not be anymore, I do remember them following the list at one point several years ago though.
Burlington (Vt)/ Plattsburg (NY) DMA was on the original list of 50 but never happened. No HD RSNs for the northeast either. In fact since Dish dropped our CBS HD and SD distants, I guess one could say we're actually loosing ground. A lot of us have no digital OTA options either. Many up here are just waiting for the chance to jump to something better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)