Are Waivers effected

clashjam

Original poster
Nov 4, 2006
According to Dish, in limited circumstances you will not lose your distant signals. Does anyone know what that means? I live in a major metropolitan area and have been fortunate to receive waivers to let me get distant signals. Am I going to lose these?

Thanks

Welcome to Satelliteguys Clashjam

Yes waivers are Affected by this court decision.

Very simply put:

If you have a CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox station that is not from the city dish has as your service address, you WILL lose it.

Here is the limited circumstance:
unless you can see that channel somewhere in the 6000 channel range NOW. (Significantly viewed)

No...If you cannot see it in the 6000 channel range NOW.. it will NOT pop up later.

CBS HD is another animal. To avoid an argument, I will just say that DISH and Charlie says you will not be losing it if you already have it and those that have lost distants already have NOT lost CBS HD. HOWEVER, the cut-off deadline is December 1 and that is when all will be revealed. :)

Anyway, there are numerous threads on this topic already. Please continue the discussion here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=79979

Here is the limited circumstance:
unless you can see that channel somewhere in the 6000 channel range NOW. (Significantly viewed)

No...If you cannot see it in the 6000 channel range NOW.. it will NOT pop up later.
Hmmm ... a certain Mr. Bimson in another thread is quite insistent that SV channels are gone too as of December 01. I'll guess we'll when it happens (or doesn't happen) - but how do you interpret the law and recent court ruling to say that DNS is gone but SV is still OK?

SV is covered under a DIFFERENT LAW. It is a different section with specific rules and retransmission concent necessary. The distant nets affected are just those stations that do not require retransmission consent to carry.

But just to make everyone happy, change "CBS HD is another animal" to CBS HD and SV are different animals" and move it to the SV paragraph.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
SV is covered under a DIFFERENT LAW.
You might want to check the entirety of 17 USC 119, which is the LAW. The SHVA, SHVIA and SHVERA are the text of bills that were pushed into these specific sections of United States Code (USC). 17 USC 119 deals with distant networks, both analog and digital, as well as significantly-viewed stations and superstations. It is this license that the injunction impacts.

Yes, there is retransmission consent language for the significantly-viewed section of 17 USC 119. However, if the license is terminated, so will the retransmission consent contract.

All of this is in my opinion. However, it was my opinion that the judge would have to issue an injunction against all distant network service. So my track record in this situation isn't too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)