Are we going to be seeing a bigger dish in the future?

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
With 4k being "mainstream" in 5 years (my prediction)...

We will need more transponder space for 4k, so we will need more satellites.

Right now the standard 1000.4 dish receives 3 satellites.

If it would take 6 satellites to carry all the 4k, would it take a bigger dish, or would 6 fit on the dish we have now?

Maybe in 5 years time a better compression method will come out.

I would like your input on what kind of receiving equipment YOU think it will take for 4K.

Considering that HD has only become mainstream in the past 5 or so years, I think your prediction of 4k becoming mainstream in 5 years to be overly optimistic (IMHO).

Dish and Direct may be able to get away with the current setup with their satellites if they did away with all SD feeds and possibly made it to where everything was in 4K and if the TV output didn't support 4K it would automatically reformat the picture (black bars on SD sets and whatever 4K to 2K would be on current sets).

I'd much rather our current "HD" have more bits thrown at it than "4k" HD that is overcompressed. Even with 6 sats 4k would be overcompressed. We're talking about 4 times the bandwidth needed. With the satcos and cablecos struggling for bandwidth as it is, don't hold your breath on 4k anytime soon from them.

we're more like 10 or 15 years away. Content is nonexistent. How much content is even 1080p right now on satellite?

I just wonder if there is enough resolution in 4K for the inevitably over-compressed 4K to look at least as good as 1920x1080 HD used to look before the current compression started! :haha

Dish and Direct may be able to get away with the current setup with their satellites if they did away with all SD feeds and possibly made it to where everything was in 4K and if the TV output didn't support 4K it would automatically reformat the picture (black bars on SD sets and whatever 4K to 2K would be on current sets).

In other words, fat chance.

Something like only 50% of people have HDTVs, still. Those tube TVs will never die, lol. Maybe when they finally do, the transition from HD to 4k will be quicker, as I bet the newer HDTVs won't last near as long as those old tubes did.

Something like only 50% of people have HDTVs, still. Those tube TVs will never die, lol. Maybe when they finally do, the transition from HD to 4k will be quicker, as I bet the newer HDTVs won't last near as long as those old tubes did.

And I would guess that of those 50% that have HDTVs, a large number of them have one or more tube type sets as well. In my house we have 3 HDs, and 1 tube. My parents have 1 of each.

If dish gave everyone an HD receiver (I'm sure at least 60% of people already have one), then they could just remove all the SD dupes and let the box reformat.

This is the funniest thread I have seen in awhile...

Are we going to need a bigger dish for bigger 4K pictures? HAHAHAHA!

The answer is no...

In fact there is new technology which I think was something like MPEG5? that could fit a 4K stream into what a HD stream takes now. (And you could fit 4 or 5 HD streams into what one HD stream takes now.)

The DISH will stay the same size, its just the technology and receivers that will change to handle things.

Thanks for the laugh. :D

It doesn't really matter. Big asteroid is going to pummel Earth in 4 years (my prediction). Which will be a shame, because Honey Boo Boo would be just two days shy of going 4k. And who wouldn't want to watch Honey Boo Boo on their 108" 4K screen?! But that shame will be made up by not having to read new blugras posts about why hasn't Dish added TBN 4k yet.

ROTFLMAO! And by then, Blugras would be wanting Home Dentistry Channel HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts