Are we really losing up to UHF channel 30?

And here I thought it was all about freeing the spectrum for data usage.

Still greed-driven. What do we need all that data for? We don't. I'd rather see everyone have decent wired broadband before we give one more frequency up for wireless data. Alternately, since the government is taking away BROADCAST spectrum, they should be giving everyone FREE wireless data, rather than giving it to companies who are going to continue the same old greed-based model.

But what does this mean for the FTA (Free To Air) Satellite systems?
The only impact will be that if you also use the receiver to tune (and perhaps record) broadcast OTA TV channels, you won't be able to do that anymore without a receiver upgrade.

ATSC 3.0 should have no measurable impact on FTA satellite channels other than perhaps some drive to make more channels MPEG4.

But what does this mean for the FTA (Free To Air) Satellite systems? Will we also need to upgrade our receivers as well? (Over The Air)...
You'd most likely have to upgrade your receiver for any coming coding/modulation enhancements regardless of ATSC3.
If the ATSC3 stations use HEVC, etc... they have to get the fronthauls to the stations somehow and most likely using the newer formats which your current receiver doesn't understand or simply using iptv/fiber.
On the other hand, quite a bit of the FTA stuff up there is either meant for Cable systems or DTH where ATSC3 doesn't matter. Who knows when/if they'd decide to transition to new traffic specs.

Ok got some more info. According to sources, KDCG 22 and KXKW 32 are translators of KLWB 50. All 3 stations are owned by Delta Media. Worst case scenario if the tanslators are kicked to the wayside, This and Antenna would move from kxkw 32 to subchannels of 50, which kdcg 22 is a subchannel of 50. If all else fails it would look like this

KLWB 50.1 MeTV Acadiana
KLWB 50.2 KDCG H&I
KLWB 50.3 ThisTV Lafayette KXKW
KLWB 50.4 Antenna TV through KBCA 41.2

Feel free to add anything else or if you know something different.

I think you are misunderstanding which frequencies the FCC is confiscating. As of today, the FCC wants all channels 30-51 to be relinquished and broadcasters on those frequencies 30-51 will be required to move down to channels 2-29. Full power broadcasters will be compensated for moving down to the lower tier of 2-29.

I think you are misunderstanding which frequencies the FCC is confiscating. As of today, the FCC wants all channels 30-51 to be relinquished and broadcasters on those frequencies 30-51 will be required to move down to channels 2-29. Full power broadcasters will be compensated for moving down to the lower tier of 2-29.

"Confiscating" I like your use of that word! That's EXACTLY what they are doing, though I'd say it's closer to say STEALING.

They are actually stealing these frequencies from us, to enrich themselves and the wireless companies, while using TAX DOLLARS to pay yet another group of robber-barons to give up their stations.

Then the wireless companies will make billions jacking up their rates while advertising their phony "unlimited data" (as long as it's no more then 1 GB max, or extra charges WILL apply)

You know no what more people using texting than voice and video modes, that's make you wonder cell phone's company are bandwidth hogging RF free OTA TV spectrum!:crying

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts