Are XM/Sirius antenna compatible

jmhunter83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I went on froogle and found a "Terk XM-11" antenna for 9.99. I need 2-3 cheap antennae for my sirius unit. Can anyone tell me whether or not I can connect these to my Sirius Orbiter?

If this won't work can someone please make a recomendation on a cheap sirius antenna.

It will work but not the best reception possible

Xm antennas are designed specifically for reception from Rock and Roll on the East and West Coast which lie at the equator. Because of their low latitude location, the antennas are designed to receive signals at low angles. This is also due to the fact that they are in stationary orbit and only move with the rotation of the earth. Since Sirius 1, 2, and 3 are in an eliptical orbit and constantly move in a figure 8 pattern from the East, to the North, and back to the west, the Sirius antennas require more angles of reception from low to high. Xm antennas are designed only for low angled reception. When the satellites are around high angles, you may or may not get a signal with an XM antenna.

lostcause said:
In that case, would a sirius antenna work for XM?

About the same problem described above. The Sirius bird's angle of elevation are from a minimum of 60 degrees to a max of 90 degrees over CONUS. XM birds are 40 to 45 degrees depending on your location. Sirius has a higher gain antenna. Either one more than likely would work with the other's receiver, depending on where you are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)