Are you a potential HD DVD or BR customer waiting in the side lines? Why?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
While I like to come here and read what the early adopters have to say about HD DVD or BR, I am still not convinced that I am missing much yet. Sure I would like to throw $500 for an HD DVD player right now but here are my reasons why I haven't done so.

1- I would like a bigger library of HD movies available in either format before I jump into one.

2- Staying outside the box and looking in to see who is going to be the ultimate winner of the format or see if both will survive.

3- I will really like someone to come up with a box that can do both that will be the ultimate dream.

4- Waiting for prices to drop.

Yea, pretty much the same reasons as you. My main motivation for waiting though is to get a dual format box and for the price to be no more than $500 for it.
I am patient.

I am definitely caught-up in HD, but to me the movie experience is only part of it, and at this point I can get enough of very watchable movie content (HD-Lite acknowledged!) on HD Net Movies, Film Fest, etc. I am also concerned about the potential format war and want to see how that sorts-out before I commit to either. It's not so much that I don't want to be an early adopter (I spent over $1K for my first hi-fi VCR!) but in this case I'm just not motivated enough to pull myself into another technology and expense that I might not get enough use out of, given my current time constraints...

I am also a big fan of HD (usually an early adopter) and have an extremely large screen display, BUT I still find myself in no hurry for this round of new DVD. I too can wait. I am still leaning toward Blu-Ray (BD) and more than willing to wait and see what is available and what the street prices are around Christmas time; if that doesn't grab me, I can wait till Spring '07. I may even buy a BD burner for my custom PC before anything else; like the LG GBW-H10N or the Sony BWU-100A.

I'm leaning towards HD-DVD because of the the price and the fact that its here now, plus the movies are much cheaper ($15 - $20 cheaper each!). $500 for the player seems like a bargain to me for brand new technology.

Only thing holding me back right now is the selection of movies. I go thru the list of HD-DVDs and there's not much out there that I would actually consider buying.

I'm not too concerned about the format war. HD will win. Why spend 2x as much on a BR player? Oh, and who really wants to use a PS3 as a player? Gah! And I thought my Comcast DVR has a bad user interface! YIKES!

-John

jgantert said:
Why spend 2x as much on a BR player? Oh, and who really wants to use a PS3 as a player? Gah! And I thought my Comcast DVR has a bad user interface! YIKES! -John

Once it comes out the prices will drop; but its NOT really 2x more. The comparable model of HD-DVD to any BD is $800 as compared to $1000 for BD. That just $200 more.

BUT BD has a larger up-side; 1080P, larger potential library, more PC friendly, much larger capcity. One should never choose just because something is 1st out. I will wait and compare, then decide. It not life-altering, so why choose now?

Last edited:
dfergie said:
HBO, SHO and CBSHD west from 148 are still good to go :D
Having watched several of the same movies on HBO-HD and HD DVD I am seriously considering dropping HBO. :eek: The difference in PQ is striking.

seriously though the lack of HDDVD around here is my main limiting factor...
NetFlix is the answer! They have every single HD DVD title released so far and you can get them on the release date if you really want to. :up

Netflix is my favourite and they indeed have HD-DVDs but I won't pay more an HD-DVD player than I paid for my Snazio SZ1350 (~$350) which already plays more format. I expect this Toshiba player to drop to this price level around or shortly after first Blu-Ray players finally been able to see the sunlight... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)