Are you happy with your 811?

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
Since there is the class action lawsuit poll, thought we should take a reading of how many 811 user out there are happy. Please, if you have not gotten an 811 yet, don't post no because you have not received one. That is a whole different issue.

WeeJavaDude said:
Since there is the class action lawsuit poll, thought we should take a reading of how many 811 user out there are happy. Please, if you have not gotten an 811 yet, don't post no because you have not received one. That is a whole different issue.

Happy with PQ, not happy with software issues (OTA lock, etc).

I only use the 811 to watch OTA HDTV programs (I don’t subscribe to the HD package). I've got the input port that the 811's uses for the SDTV & HDTV inputs each tweaked to compensate for the dark picture via the SDTV output from the 811. The real pain to me is the program guide, or lack of, that drives me to also have my 501 hooked up to the TV. Those long delays to retrieve information on a system that advertises a ‘2-day program schedule’, is one of the main complaints I have.

I'm starting to question my purchase of the 811 for use as an HD tuner, because I'm paying a monthly receiver fee on a receiver that is a pain in the A*S to use to watch TV. If they fix the guide and OTA mapping problem as they keep promising, I would feel a whole lot more satisfied then I do today.

Generally happy with mine. A couple of lockups here and there, GUIDE sucks and can't pull in some Local OTA's (not sure if it is receivers prob tho).
I only use Components out and watch most of my SD thru my 522 which sits next to it hooked up to same TV.
Def. looking forward to a few software updates tho. Thats for sure.

Moving from a Model 5000 to an 811 -- even though the 811 has some problems, has been a big jump up in capability.

I have some doubts in my mind as to the quality of the ATSC tuner in the 811, but have nothing to compare it with.

I have no real "dark picture" issues.

The box seems unresponsive at times, but I think this is a software issue where some function is hogging all the cpu cycles. It always clears up.

I have never had to reboot the box. Patience has resolved many seeming problems.

Is it perfect? Nope. Was it worth the $99 it cost me? Yep. That's the bottom line.

Extemely unimpressed with the p.q. and am also dissapointed in the answers that are given to me from e*. It doesn't matter to me if I paid $1 or $1000, if the product doesn't do what was advertised to do then something is wrong.I get a much better p.q. using my 5000 on the same television so I don't think it's in the moniter as suggested by dish.

spanky said:
Extemely unimpressed with the p.q. and am also dissapointed in the answers that are given to me from e*. It doesn't matter to me if I paid $1 or $1000, if the product doesn't do what was advertised to do then something is wrong.I get a much better p.q. using my 5000 on the same television so I don't think it's in the moniter as suggested by dish.

I'll give ya $100. for it.

I don't think I could sleep at night doing you the disservice. I tell you what, let's swap 811's and see if that makes any difference.

WeeJavaDude said:
I have recieved my 811 about 2 weeks ago and it was hooked up with the composit cables that came with it, it had a great picture in SD and HD. I now have purchased a DVI cable and WOW what a picture in both SD and HD. Now as to the guide problem sometimes I get two days worth of programing and other times I don't?? on the 811, now I do power down the reciever every night. I also have the 522 which has a much better picture that the D* w/Ultimate tv that I used to have, which both are connected by S-Video. I even have my DVD player piped into the 811 to input one which is cool that I don't have to anything but go to the guide and choose the input I want to use. One other thing about the guide though, on the 522 if I punch in 12 I get my local 12 channel, on the 811 if I punch in 12 it stay's at the channel I am watching. I have to punch in 9328 I think that is the number, all my local on this reciever are in the 9000 range, what is strange it used to work by punching in 12 not it does not it is like this with all local channels. :confused:

hdtv 2003 said:
... what is strange it used to work by punching in 12 not it does not it is like this with all local channels. :confused:

Press "0" first: 012, then a dash appears and you can enter any other digits needed. (e.g. 012-6).

AcuraCL said:
Press "0" first: 012, then a dash appears and you can enter any other digits needed. (e.g. 012-6).

That only works for OTA digital channels. The local in locals are in the 9000's for this subscriber. The 811 does NOT channel map like some of the other receivers. I heard a rumor a bit back that the 811 would do channel mapping at a later time. I think they need to fix some of the existing problems first before adding new things.

I like mine. The bugs are tolerable IMO, and will get fixed in time. Of course it should have been right the first time- but Im not losing sleep or switching providers because of the issues it has right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts