Arghhh, I am so frustrated with the H3 timers situation

I am sure DISH would have liked to stayed with their old provider as well. This move was not anything DISH planned. :(

I think I missed out on this, but can anyone fill me in on what exactly happened again? Did the old guide data provider become too expensive and it resulted in Dish switching to this new provider that isn't supplying the correct information?

I've also noticed problems with my timers as well and I have an H3. For example, this coming Friday May 26 on my local ABC channel, from 7-10 pm, it shows "To Be Announced" for the entire 3 hours, and the description reads "?T??", which is out of place, especially for a major primetime network.

Also, because of the new provider's lack of information, certain shows aren't being recorded, because instead of displaying "NEW" in red writing next to the episode's title, it only shows "New" in white writing in the actual description itself, so the Hopper 3 thinks that it's not a new episode and doesn't record it. This is further a problem when sometimes the description of an episode will show something like "Episode 22" instead of actually displaying "S3, E1" to indicate the season number, so it messes up the sorting order in the DVR as well. Newer episodes without the season number are placed at the bottom of the list, below older episodes that do have the season number at the top of the list.

I hope Dish fixes this. Because of what happened a few weeks ago with The Expanse on Syfy as an example, as of now, I'm basically trying to remember when my programs are on and I'm having to check the H3 every single day to make sure they're actually being recorded, and if they aren't, I'm having to set a one-time timer on that particular day itself to make sure the recording actually works.

I'm sure Dish is getting a lot of people complaining about this. Obviously this isn't a hardware problem, since the guide data is shared amongst all of Dish's receivers, so it's not specifically an issue with the Hopper models or the CUI itself. But I do agree that it's odd having an H3, which is the most advanced receiver hardware-wise, yet the guide software is causing issues with what the 16-tuner DVR is actually capable of doing.

In fact, like some people have already mentioned, it is kind of hard to justify a $15 DVR fee (which was specifically mentioned in the past to help pay for the TV Guide information), when both the DVR and the TV Guide aren't working properly due to the guide data being incorrect. Even with the issues though, I still wouldn't switch providers, because we all know that DirecTV has a much more primitive user interface, only 5 tuners, and well... it doesn't have Buzzr. But still, Dish should really get on fixing this ASAP. Especially if AT&T comes out with a newer Genie model at some point to rival Dish's H3, Dish will really need proper and consistent guide information, because if it comes down to a Genie DVR that records correctly 95% of the time due to proper guide info, versus a Dish DVR that only records 70% of the time because of incorrect guide info, people who don't want to cord-cut will make the switch just to ensure the programs they want to watch actually do get recorded and sorted correctly in their DVR.

Reactions: Briant73
I think I missed out on this, but can anyone fill me in on what exactly happened again? Did the old guide data provider become too expensive and it resulted in Dish switching to this new provider that isn't supplying the correct information?

In a nutshell, that's exactly what happened according to reports, and apparently it was a very last minute thing forcing a quick changeover. Old provider was Gracenote, new provider is Rovi, same ones who now own Tivo...hence Tivo owners apparently having a lot of the same problems as we are.

After doing well with Yankees games lately, it didn't record tonight's game on MLB Network or on Extra Innings. Then I noticed it is not scheduled to record tomorrow's game on EI because it's "blacked out" in my area. And it is not scheduled to record any EI games on through the holiday weekend either.

#WellDoneDish
#CantBlameThisOnTheScheduleSinceTheGamesAreListedThere

I missed Episode 5 of Genius on Nat Geo this week. But hey, I'm sure Dish is working on this issue and the dozen other Hopper 3 issues that have never been resolved.

In a nutshell, that's exactly what happened according to reports, and apparently it was a very last minute thing forcing a quick changeover. Old provider was Gracenote, new provider is Rovi, same ones who now own Tivo...hence Tivo owners apparently having a lot of the same problems as we are.
This is just a guess, but I think that after "settling" their dispute with Tribune (former owner of Gracenote) and bringing back the Tribune channels, Dish and Tribune were still negotiating on some unresolved issues. For example, WGN America was removed from Flex Pack a few months after that channel returned. Shortly after that, WGN America was rolled down from AT200 into AT120. Around that time, Tribune sold Gracenote to Nielsen, making any remaining dispute / negotiations between Dish and Tribune a moot point, but also suddenly leaving Dish without a guide-data provider, leaving them scrambling to either strike a quick deal with Nielsen, or find a replacement provider as quickly as possible.

It's clear (to me) the problems have nothing to do with the sudden change DISH had to make it's only that DISH is using Rovi at all that is the problem. Virtually the same problems you see in the DISH guide exist on the TIVO guide and there have been Tivo guide problems for months and months since they changed to Rovi.

But.. (there is always a but..) I do also have improvements over Gracenote as well. No more hundreds of recordings of almost all COPS instead of just new, ditto for Pawn Stars. I used to sometimes miss some airings of "Larry's Country Diner" and People's Court but no more. On the whole however Rovi has been worse so far I have to continually check to be sure the timers will record though I am finding less I have to fix.

Here we are, many weeks later and it isn't getting any better. If anything it's getting worse. Dish really screwed up this time. This photo was taken this morning. Note there is zip, zero, zilch info for TCM and if you continue to scroll to the right it continues until the guide runs out in 2 days. If anyone thinks this is a one-off, it isn't, I've run into this for various channels for weeks now and it isn't getting any better. It is absurd for Dish to purchase a guide that is obviously run by incompetent amateurs. If Dish is really concerned about retaining it's customers it would be prudent to go back to the old guide but I doubt they're bright enough or they wouldn't have switched in the first place. It's called "shooting yourself in the foot".
Exact same issue this morning. This is truly annoying and isn't getting any better.

I am sure DISH would have liked to stayed with their old provider as well. This move was not anything DISH planned. :(

They keep working on it to rebuild what they had before.

Scott, it has become a crap shoot.
This just isn't getting fixed. Maybe a little better but not fixed. I see it as all these problems are interrelated because of bad Rovi guide info. Some affect VIP receivers more than Hoppers because of limited tuners but overall affects everyone. We are paying escalating DVR fees and constant missing of programs and needing to pay constant attention to timers isn't going to be tolerated forever.
Will you contact as high up or the best person you think at DISH that will do something better than what is happening now?

1. I check the other guide services and when we have something like a description of "Turner Classic Movies" the others have the actual programming. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough, happens with A&E and a couple of others from time to time and not just in advanced dates.
2. Advanced dates more than ever have wrong info and resort to "Episode 1" or some non descriptive info. If you are not vigilant you may set another timer for that spot thinking there is nothing recording and because of the wrong info that new timer is allowed. However when the time comes one of two things happens. Either it really is a new episode, it records and the timer you set does not because of priority. Or, when the time comes it is a new episode and it does not record because the info never got fixed and that timer does not record. AGAIN when I check other services nearly always they have the correct advance info - or if the description is not there yet it does clearly show as new and the description shows up before the date.
3. 100% new problem, virtually never happened before if I set a timer and let it decide by priority I am noticing sometimes the next airing where there are no conflicts does set to record I have t manually do it.
4. I still have to delete and update timers nowhere near as often but why still?

Since the supplier has never solved these problems for Tivo I see no reason for hoping they'll fix it for Dish. IMHO the only fix would be for Dish to bite the bullet, admit their mistake, and go back to the previous supplier.

We are paying escalating DVR fees...
Don't you still have the grandfathered fee? ;)

Since the supplier has never solved these problems for Tivo I see no reason for hoping they'll fix it for Dish. IMHO the only fix would be for Dish to bite the bullet, admit their mistake, and go back to the previous supplier.
Then people would have the opposite problem: timers set with the current guide supplier might not work after Dish switches back to the previous supplier.

Don't you still have the grandfathered fee? ;)

Then people would have the opposite problem: timers set with the current guide supplier might not work after Dish switches back to the previous supplier.

Yes!! But I am trying to keep it simple most/many are not. It just complicates things if I keep adding caveats.

Yes!! But I am trying to keep it simple most/many are not. It just complicates things if I keep adding caveats.
I have said it before: Dish is supplying an inferior guide / DVR experience because some people still aren't paying full price. The instant that Dish gets all of the problems fixed, expect the grandfathering to end, since the DVR experience will then be "worth" paying for.

I have said it before: Dish is supplying an inferior guide / DVR experience because some people still aren't paying full price. The instant that Dish gets all of the problems fixed, expect the grandfathering to end, since the DVR experience will then be "worth" paying for.

Nonsense. So DISH is risking their business when adding subscribers in the industry are hard to come by? They are purposely not getting it fixed - when Tivo has the exact same problem? They want to make current paying customers who are paying full price frustrated and think of switching? Come on now.

Reactions: osu1991
Noticing big gaps with guide data also. TCM is an example even though they have a online guide put out a full month in advance.

Reactions: Tampa8

True, but at least there might be hope they would continue to work once reset to the new, hopefully more consistent, data provider.

Reactions: Radioguy41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts