Arm Reposition

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I think I know the answer to this question before I ask, but I want to hear it from someone else.

I have about 6 to 8 inches of arm space from AMC 7 to my west limit. If I reposition the arm to where the the west limit is just past AMC 7 so there will be more arm space on the east side of the arc, will I have to reprogram all of the satellite positions back into the 922?

The reason for this is I want to get PAS 9 and Amazones, which I should have no promlem with, plus anything else I can get from the east.

Diamond Jim said:
I think I know the answer to this question before I ask, but I want to hear it from someone else.
I have about 6 to 8 inches of arm space from AMC 7 to my west limit. If I reposition the arm to where the the west limit is just past AMC 7 so there will be more arm space on the east side of the arc, will I have to reprogram all of the satellite positions back into the 922?
The reason for this is I want to get PAS 9 and Amazones, which I should have no promlem with, plus anything else I can get from the east.

Yes you may as well do a master reset.

I Think so too

Diamond Jim said:

it would seem that you would have to since they would all be "off' as the sensor sees them. Just my opinion (guess).

The 4dtv has a nice little "almost" there" approach. if you have birds programmed and then make a chg...you press save all positions during setup after re-finding 1 sat and it is supposed to make the correct calcs for you and save the updated positions! (That option appears after you hit "go back" to save.... there are 2 choices 1 sat or all!)

I am facing a master reset when i chg my Actuator from an 18-24" model.Might as well do it right...a royal pain though!
jeff

Last edited:
Diamond Jim said:

What size is your arm? you can play with the settings in the arm also.

tdti1 said:
Yes you may as well do a master reset.

Yea, I figured that. I wish I would have thought of this 2 months ago when I had to do the reset to get the guide.

24" arm. I don't see any problem. When it was installed it was put to far to the west and could not pick up the last two sats on the east side of the arc. I went out and moved it about 2 inches, got those two in, plus one more that has showed up since then. I think the hard part (time consuming) will be the reset. Anyway, I am going try it when I can fit into my busy schedule.:rolleyes:

Tdti1, run that by me about the settings on the arm, for I am ignorant about that.

gizzer777 said:
it would seem that you would have to since they would all be "off' as the sensor sees them. Just my opinion (guess).

The 4dtv has a nice little "almost" there" approach. if you have birds programmed and then make a chg...you press save all positions during setup after re-finding 1 sat and it is supposed to make the correct calcs for you and save the updated positions! (That option appears after you hit "go back" to save.... there are 2 choices 1 sat or all!)

Your opinion is right.

Tell me in detail where "save all positions" comes up on the menu. I never did see that when I did the reset so I put the dish on G3, waited a half an hour and started from there. I had to go to each one and manually enter the information. The icons were in the ballpark, but it took me a day and a half to fine tune them. If there is an easier way, please let me know.

Save all sats

Morning Jim:

If I remember, after you dial in some sats....This option will only work on Sats already in Memory! The 4dtv also "learns and becomes more accurate at predictions" after it gets a few birds on the east and west programed...I usually go for W3 for the east, G1 for the center, and W7 on the west side. W7 could become a problem depending on what is left...you could use C4 too! ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR OWN LOCATION FOR WHICH BIRDS YOU USE! I am in Reno, NV.

When you finish in the installation menu of 4dtv (after you have just adjusted for a satellite and are ready to save settings)....when it says "go back to save"...you should have a choice of (2 options) something like (save ie:"G1" Only or save all sats! This is where the 4dtv receiver is supposed to adjust all bird settings relative to the one you have just re-adjusted...catch is it only works on saved positions, so you still have to get close on the other birds!!
regards
Jeff

Diamond Jim said:
Yea, I figured that. I wish I would have thought of this 2 months ago when I had to do the reset to get the guide.
24" arm. I don't see any problem. When it was installed it was put to far to the west and could not pick up the last two sats on the east side of the arc. I went out and moved it about 2 inches, got those two in, plus one more that has showed up since then. I think the hard part (time consuming) will be the reset. Anyway, I am going try it when I can fit into my busy schedule.:rolleyes:
Tdti1, run that by me about the settings on the arm, for I am ignorant about that.

What make/model is your arm?

Hi Jim,
I did this a few weeks ago to get P9. I didn't need to do a master reset, but I did reprogram my satellites.

The reprogram went quickly for me, but there may be a better way than I used. I just
-Wrote down the satellite position for some "important" satellites.
-deleted all my satellites
-programmed W7
Then went along to program others. But I noticed that in the "change/remove satellites" the top of that little window still said "Move Dish to xxxx" at the top. I assumed this was the "guesstimate" that people say the 922 will make for youl.

It was nearly correct for most satellites. When It was incorrect, I went to my old numbers for a hint. The sattelites will always be the same number of "clicks" apart, so you can use the old numbers to help guess distances.

This is just my homegrown method, there are probably better ones!
Jerry

By the book

JerryK said:
Hi Jim,
I did this a few weeks ago to get P9. I didn't need to do a master reset, but I did reprogram my satellites.
The reprogram went quickly for me, but there may be a better way than I used. I just
-Wrote down the satellite position for some "important" satellites.
-deleted all my satellites
-programmed W7
Then went along to program others. But I noticed that in the "change/remove satellites" the top of that little window still said "Move Dish to xxxx" at the top. I assumed this was the "guesstimate" that people say the 922 will make for youl.
It was nearly correct for most satellites. When It was incorrect, I went to my old numbers for a hint. The sattelites will always be the same number of "clicks" apart, so you can use the old numbers to help guess distances.
This is just my homegrown method, there are probably better ones!
Jerry

Yep...that is the way the books say to do it....when you chg brands and type of arms, it helps, but you are still way off. besides I want my 5000 position (4dtv) to stay on G1 since as time wears on, I have a reference point...My new uninstalled Superjack 24" has much finer stop clicks than my old POS arm (POS lasted 10+ years and still runs! It was a Stop Gap until I got a new arm.....10 years passed and I just decided to upgrade! )TOUGH STUFF!
Jeff

amazonas ku has some interesting stuff that pops up, as for pas 9 i havent found anything using a standard KU lnb on there that is THAT interesting.

I decided to put this on the back burner.......for now. Everything is working fine so I don't see any reason to mess with it a really screw something up. If the situation arises again where I have to do another master reset, I will try it then. Thank's for all of your input, it is deeply appreciated.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts