Arundel Gives Green Light to Verizon TV Venture

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

Anne Arundel County is the fourth jurisdiction in Maryland to grant Verizon Communications a cable television franchise, clearing the way for the telecom giant's fiber optic-powered FiOS TV to go head to head with Comcast Cable.

The County Council voted unanimously Wednesday night to grant Verizon a video franchise, following the lead of Howard County and the cities of Bowie and Laurel.

Verizon expects to unveil FiOS TV in Anne Arundel County in the next couple of months.

"Our agreement with Anne Arundel County represents great progress for consumers who are eager for more competitive choice in their video service providers," said William R. Roberts, president of Verizon Maryland, in a statement. "Competition drives innovation, value and service quality, and we will compete aggressively for Anne Arundel County consumers' communications, broadband and video business with our FiOS services, which are fueled by our lightning-fast fiber-optic network."

Verizon is already operating its television service, featuring an array of digital video and music channels and high-definition and on-demand features, in parts of Howard County and in six other states. Under the terms of the 15-year agreement, the company will pay the county franchise fees based on its gross revenues on cable services.

Comcast has been firing back in the battle for cable television customers since last summer. That was when service to Comcast customers began to be disrupted by construction on Verizon's network, which involves stringing fiber-optic lines directly to customers' homes and businesses.

The cable giant dominates access locally to cable television offerings as well as high-speed Internet access, and has rolled out Internet telephone service, as well.

Verizon's FiOS TV will feature more than 330 channels, at packages starting at about $40 a month.

So how many more TV franchises are left in MD where FIOS is available? Is it only Montgomery County that is holding out? Or are there more locations in PG county that don't have TV, but have FIOS?

I think FIOS is only available in Howard, AA, Montgomery & PG counties in MD right now.

-John

Cecil... Probably in 5 years. I've sent the requests to Verizon online probably 15 times using multiple email addresses and neighbors addresses. My neighborhood is wired for it supposedly being that our houses are only a year old but as was said in another thread, their is alot of open land in CC, and if the requirement is to get everyone up to speed its gonna be a long time.

I've on Verizon's DLS waiting list for 6 years come September...still not available (1/2 mile too far from Central Offfice). Either way, I'll be in FiOS in 2 years...plan to move to the North Dallas area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts