As of today, I'm now a former E* Customer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sparkman

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Charlotte,NC
Started with them 7/1/98, so 8 1/2 years. 2 years ago I took the bulk of my programming to Comcast because Comcast SportsNet Chicago was our new RSN and only Comcast had the HD version. Kept my Distant NBC & CBS & supers active with E* on only 1 receiver, an 811, which continued to be used as my OTA as well. Also kept the E* original HD package for awhile, but Comcast added everything that E* had except the HDNets, & I wasn't really wathcing those, so I cancelled that. Not that the Distants are gone, I was down to only the supers, @ $11.99 for 5 channels. Comcast is having their annual rate hike, but E* still does not have the HD-RSN's, so I couldn't justify
the $11.99 expense. The 811 is still working for my OTA channels & I can get NASA & CCTV for free if I ever want to watch anything there. Comcast is adding Versus/Golf HD 1/4, now would just like Ntl Geo & U HD.

It was very easy to cancel, they tried a couple of options, but realized they couldn't offer the main channel I have an interest in. I had a great run there and will consider going back again someday, but for now Comcast is a better fit.

Last edited:
Someday I hope to have your options. For now, Cox Cable OKC is overpriced and doesn't have FOX-HD or ABC-HD, nor several of the HD channels that are on Dish. I'm waiting to see what ATT-Uverse will offer when it gets here.

Comcast is offering satellite customers a year of digital basic (which includes hd), hbo and starz for $39.95

I'm very tempted to switch and comcast will be changing the adelphia sytems down here in the west palm market 1/16 so I will be monitoring what they may add after that

One HUGE advantage Comcast has on our system is the ON Demand. It is improving every month. I find myself watching it more & more. This month there were about 10 free HD movies.

Well, I tried cable for a whole 1 hour.

Crappy analog channels
Little HD, they have added some since.
Slowwww channel changing
Limit of 2 HD receivers, I have 2 622's 4 211's for my 6 HDTV's now.
$168 a month, Dish is $140 a month

I am sure there are some great cable systems out there, in my case Mediacom sucked.

While I don't agree with every reason the OP gave for dropping E* I can't argue with his main point, lack of HD RSN's.

I'll gladly give credit to E* where credit is due (number of HD channels) but I'm also not afraid to say that the HD RSN situation has been a complete debacle. The fact that they promised the HD RSN's, "very, very soon" was nothing short of insulting and subsequently most E* customers have missed several HD sporting events that they could have seen with other content providers.

If E* DOESN'T mention anything about HD RSN's at CES I'm sure there will be many more former E* customers.

While I don't agree with every reason the OP gave for dropping E* I can't argue with his main point, lack of HD RSN's.

I'll gladly give credit to E* where credit is due (number of HD channels) but I'm also not afraid to say that the HD RSN situation has been a complete debacle. The fact that they promised the HD RSN's, "very, very soon" was nothing short of insulting and subsequently most E* customers have missed several HD sporting events that they could have seen with other content providers.

If E* DOESN'T mention anything about HD RSN's at CES I'm sure there will be many more former E* customers.

The only reason I went to Comcast 2 years ago was Comcast SportsNet HD. No other reason. I was very content with E* until the point when Chicago Sports teams switched from FSN to CSN. & At the time I switched, E* was not carrying CSN-Chicago in SD or HD. The SD version was added 4/1/05, before the 2005 baseball season. E* has added some channels that I wish I had on Comcast, most noteably ESPNU & CSTV, but for the most part, I am very happy with Comcast. We are in an ADS area, so no more analog. I loved with distant nets and would have NEVER cancelled E* while I was getting them. Once they went away, as much Ias I like the supers, I couldn't justify $12/month for them.

I still have an active EVu system & will probably upgrade this to the 9200, reaim my Dish 500 antenna, & add the HD package from them.

I signed up with E* on almost the same day as Sparkman. It was the last week of June in 1998.

While there are people who go back well before this, it is very small pct of E*'s customers who have been around this long.

Rumor has it there will be talk of launching HD RSNs around CES time.
Until the channel(s) are available -- not rumors, not 'secret' uplinks, etc -- it means nothing. Where's InHD ?? As already mentioned, how long ago were there rumors of the RSN HD channels coming ??

This guy left Dish over 1 HD channel that Dish or Directv will probably carry in the next 3-4 months?

You couldn't pay me to install cable in my house

I used to live up in Sparkman's neighborhood and our Comcast system was fairly good. They had already mirrored analog channels on digitial so if you had a digital STB the PQ was equal to whay DBS was providing. And as he mentioned the OnDemand was good and getting better. There's no way that DBS will be able to match what cable can do for OnDemand programming. As has been said many times when talking about cable YMMV.

Comcast is offering satellite customers a year of digital basic (which includes hd), hbo and starz for $39.95
That super-low monthly cost probably does tempt a LOT of people. I had Dish years ago, when the 921 was the only HD-DVR available and cost $999, and had just gotten an HDTV. Dish couldn't help me - paying $1000 was NOT going to happen - and TWC had an HD-DVR for $4.95/mo and for the 1st year (50% off reg rate), a lower rate than Dish. On top of that, I'd get (2) premium movie packages, OnDemand, etc, etc. It was GREAT for a year. The 2nd year, 25% off reg rate, was still acceptable. Once that 2nd year ended though, in fact, I never made it that far, I was back to Dish.

Once those satellite buy-back promos run out, cable usually is NOT very appealing to some. Well, to those that $$$ is a factor.

Rumor has it there will be talk of launching HD RSNs around CES time. :)

I hope you are correct with that rumor. It would be a good time to flip the switch on the HD RSN's. I guess I shouldnt complain too loudly about the $3/month increase in my E* bill when a buddy of mine who has cable receieved a letter and his cable bill will be increasing by $30/month for him to keep the status quo. Apparently HDNet for him will be ala carte at $5 or $6 a month.

This is what he sent me:

Wow, just received a letter from Comcast and the rates are going much much higher. HD NET will now be offered separately at $4.99 a month. DVR equipment rental goes from 6.95 to 11.95 a month, even if you have digital cable service. Packages prices are going up. I did a quick calc of my package and equipment and I will be paying almost $30 extra per month. (I have 2 DVR's and HDNET, etc.) This doesn't include a vague potentially new billing called a Digital Additional Outlet Service at $5.95/month. I suggest anyone who just transferred from TW to Comcast check their mail for the new price listing. This increase goes way beyond the typical inflationary increase.

I'm very tempted to switch and comcast will be changing the adelphia sytems down here in the west palm market 1/16 so I will be monitoring what they may add after that
I've been receiving Comcast "Ditch the Dish" and "Internet Only Customer" offers in my area (formerly Adelphia) for only $29.95 per 12-months. Comcast honored the $29.95 price for a relative in Michigan. For me, with two HD DVRs and HD CableCard the price works out to $20 less than DishHD Bronze. Not a bad deal...the Internet Only offer comes with no-strings and no 12-month committment. If you don't like it, pack it up and take it back. Additionally, there is a $50 Comcast Showtime rebate. Here's the link for anyone looking for a cheap alternative. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9136334&&#post9136334

"...There's no way that DBS will be able to match what cable can do for OnDemand programming...."

Of course they can- via IPTV. When the ViP series hooks up to your broadband internet connection, you'll be able to get what you want. The catalog for Dish and DirecTV will likely be as large as for cable. And ITVN has shown that using IPTV technology you can get real time SD of high quality today. If your broadband is not fast enough and you order an HD program, you may have to wait for that download to complete. Is cable providing HD on demand now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)