Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Hi,

I have a question for the gurus.

Currently I have a G-box to move my 10 foot dish. But I also have an Eagle Aspen OTA antenna rotator which seems to be a clone of the G-box. They look physically different from each other however the remote controls are almost identical with the exception of the EA missing a few buttons. I can use the remotes interchangeably and much to my annoyance, when I want to operate one, both respond and things go bonkers and make trouble for me.

I end up having to put several layers of heavy black cloth over one or the other depending on which one I need to operate.

So now I’ve been looking at the ASC1 to replace the G-box (which I plan to reuse on a different, future project).

I understand that it will operate the polarity motor in an LNBF and I think that’s really cool because it’s sooooooo annoying trying to get an LNBF set right. With that, you can adjust it from inside in the A/C.

But what I am unclear on is can I also use it with the more modern 13/18 type LNBFs that are so common now? At some future time I might like to get a high quality LNBF with motorized polarity but for the immediate future I’m stuck using the 13/18v types.

Can the ASC1 work with either type? Or is it only able to operate one that is motorized?

Can the ASC1 work with this type of LNBF?
224622178.jpg

Or is it limited to only working with this type?
Ckudbsfeedhornpic.jpg

Or will it work with either type?

I’m thinking if it will work with something like a CW2PLL then I could put the ASC1 and a HH USALS all on my Amiko A3.

Thanks.. :)

Actually it's the GBox that is "limited", the ASC1 works with any LNB(F). ;)

Right.. I know the G-box is limited to using only modernized type LNBFs. I have one already in use.
I just wasn’t clear on if I could use ANY type of C-band LNBF with an ASC1 or if ~it had to be~ one of the older polarotor types.

I’m betting that the ASC1 is a lot better gadget than the G-box.

I could take my G-box and put it on my other STB in the other room where there would be no conflict with the EA antenna box I also have.
I’m also assuming that my chances of successfully chaining a HH USALS motor AND an ASC1 on a single wire would be much better than they are now.

I’ve had so much trouble in the past with stuff that I’ve come to the point in life where I either buy the best or I just quit playing.

One other question I’m not clear on. Is the remote for the ASC1 radio wireless or is it infrared line of sight?

I don’t own one yet. I was just trying to figure this out in advance of a (future) purchase.
It’s not a deal breaker either way but radio would be a very, very serious bonus.
Operating my BUD from out in the yard is a serious pain in the backside.
A radio type remote would be seriously useful.

On the other hand, I am hoping to acquire a nifty cable enclosure and if that goes through, I’m going to install another WIFI station in a waterproof box in it so that my entire yard has WIFI and I can then control any and everything with my tablet or phone over Spark2 and the A3. So no matter how the remote works, I’m ok with it.

Going from a Gbox to an ASC-1 is like going from a Crappy used car to a top of the line $100K brand new one! :)

Cool beans.. Thank you! Now I know what to plan for.
This means that I most definitely need to plan on putting a WIFI out in the yard. :D

Yeeeeeep........... I pretty much see I’mma have to get me one in the not to distant future.. :D

Another question on the ASC1.

What about programming it?

It appears that you have to program it with a windows computer and that the computer has to have a serial port.

I have Windows 8 running in Parallels on my Mac. I installed the apps for my AI Turbo S2 meter and it worked fine, I was able to download an update and everything.
But it uses the USB port. My Mac, does not have a serial port at all. It simple doesn’t exist.

How would I be able to program an ASC1 considering my setup, Windows 8 on a Mac with no serial port?

Programming the ASC1 is typically done using your satellite receiver's DiSEqC 1.2 motor control menu or using the ASC1 front panel or remote control. No computer is necessary.

If you want to back-up the ASC1 Satellite List with you customized positions/skew or edit the list to display Satellite Names to the positions, then you will need a WINXP/7 computer and RS serial communication (either internal or USB convertor). Never used on a Mac running WIN8 and wouldn't expect it to work.

Oh, a USB convertor. Hadn’t thought of that.
I was reading the downloaded manual and it seems you have to do firmware updates through a serial port too.
So I guess for people with newer PC’s that don’t have serial ports they would have to use a usb to serial convertor, yes?
So, if they can use such a device I would think I should be able to as well through my Mac, with a proper convertor. Just guessing here.

Well, sometime in the next two months I hope to get one of these worked into my budget and I’ll find out then.
I guess if worst comes to worst, I can dig out an ancient laptop and use that.
I know I have two or three buried somewhere in my house that are plenty old enough to have serial ports.
I might even find one with Windows XP on it though really, it would be awesome if I could just do it through my Mac. :D

I guess I’ll find out one way or the other, when I find out.

Dee_Ann my macs died but try winebottler it converts exe's. But I'm not sure how /tty would become a comport..

I wonder if you ran the loader in Compatibility mode under win8 if that would work?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I had to install a driver which is supplied by AI that assigns “com3” to a USB port. Or something like that. Not sure how it actually works but that’s what you have to do, on ~any~ windows PC.

Anyway, after MUCH grief trying to figure out how to force windows to allow the non microsoft approved app to install itself I got it working perfectly.
It sees my meter when I plug it in, asks me what I want to do with it (I set it to always connect via windows). It will download stuff from the meter and does updates.
AI offered an update last week which I did on my Mac and it worked perfectly.

I guess what I should do is research the best USB to serial convertor available. I don’t want some chinese junk for $5, I tried one several years back when I first got my Birddog meter and it was complete rubbish !
The little driver disk that came with it was full of malware and it took me months to clean it up. That was my Home Theater PC by the way. I was FURIOUS about that but getting on an airplane to china to go choke someone wasn’t a viable option. So I need to find something that’s first rate quality.

I would bet money that with a proper convertor I would be able to do whatever is needed for the ASC1. Just guessing..

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.37.22 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.37.40 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.39.49 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.40.44 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.43.20 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.44.06 PM.jpg

THIS is one of the major, major reasons why I am banishing windows from my home forever.
I can not wait to be rid of that STUPID, STUPID, POS Home Theater PC.

IMG_1581.jpg

Dee Ann, when it comes time to buy your ASC1 drop me an email or call. I should be carrying the factory USB adapter shortly. They are inbound on an ocean shipment with a new order.

The loader is WINXP/7 compliant. Since you are running Win8, I can't help you there. :(

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts