Ascension On Syfy

Syfy‘s miniseries Ascension continues Jason Blum‘s development of intriguing TV projects, and unlike the low budget horror thriller films he’s made his mark with, i.e. The Purge and Insidious, he admitted “The budget for this series wasn’t as low as some of my movies. I’m new to TV. My long-term goal is (creating) lower budget TV series.”
Chalk it up to the demands of the sci-fi genre. Originally Blum was looking to have the all the action for the 600-person deep-space travel story to take place in one location, just like his haunted house pics.

“We thought this was going to be a low budget show, but it grew to be the size of The Queen Mary. The scope of the show is enormous and the only way 600 people (in deep space) can live is if you have crops, and different living quarters,” explained Blum.

Ascension, which debuts on November 24 for six episodes, tells the story about a spaceship of 600 people that’s launched on a covert mission by the Kennedy Administration in 1963, in hopes of reaching a new world. The miniseries begins 50 years into their journey, and there’s a been a murder on the ship.

deadline.com

I plan to record and watch although the premise of the USA secretly building a ship like that in 1963 is beyond belief.

I plan to record and watch although the premise of the USA secretly building a ship like that in 1963 is beyond belief.
Definitely.

But the fact that we as a country ,started the first Airplane flight in 1903 and we landed on the moon in 1969, it still blows my mind. That is a lot to accomplish in less than 66 years. IF we had actually applied ourselves to exploration of space ,after the moon landing and not to just political infighting, imagine where we could of been by now, since it has been 45 years since then. We have wasted the last 45 years doing skylab and the international space station, the shuttle crafts that would explode. I really thought we as a country would be on Mars by now. At the rate we are going and the little amount of money we are spending on the space program, I doubt we will ever see a Star Trek future ,that is depicted in that series.

Reactions: osu1991
Definitely.

But the fact that we as a country ,started the first Airplane flight in 1903 and we landed on the moon in 1969, it still blows my mind. That is a lot to accomplish in less than 66 years. IF we had actually applied ourselves to exploration of space ,after the moon landing and not to just political infighting, imagine where we could of been by now, since it has been 45 years since then. We have wasted the last 45 years doing skylab and the international space station, the shuttle crafts that would explode. I really thought we as a country would be on Mars by now. At the rate we are going and the little amount of money we are spending on the space program, I doubt we will ever see a Star Trek future ,that is depicted in that series.

I was a child in the 60's. I certainly had dreams of visiting the planets and at least planning for the stars. Now I'm in my 50's and very disappointed.

It will be interesting to see how the show explains the generation ship development.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I was a child in the 60's. I certainly had dreams of visiting the planets and at least planning for the stars. Now I'm in my 50's and very disappointed.

It will be interesting to see how the show explains the generation ship development.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
Same here . I remember being 7, when the moon landing took place in 69 and I thought how cool that there were actual men on the moon and American too! LOVED Lost in Space as a child and Star Trek too. Both shows spiked my imagination. I really thought by my age at 52, we would of been on the moon in a permanent base and Mars with a colony too. We got so much technology from the space program, we should really be investing in the space program now.

Well, all I can say is, what a disappointment. The dialogue/script was often laughable and the acting, anemic. Some real casting mistakes. Had to force myself to watch to the end. Good twist, though. From reviews I've read, it doesn't get any better.

Yeah, it was a bit disappointing. :(

I figgered it was a fake ship fairly early on as the parts 'back on earth' where they made some comments that lead you to the conclusion that they had any input after it was launched. That input wouldn't have been possible any other way.

I'll probably still watch the other 2 episodes just to see how it all comes out. It isn't like there is much new to watch that is compelling right now.

Well I liked it so far. Any time you can see Tricia Helfer ( Battle star Galactica)screaming the big O in a scene , I say it is worth the time. :devilish

At the end of episode one my thoughts were WTF??? Saw someplace today they had 1.8 million viewers last night. Note sure if that was one showing or two. I'm betting there is a big drop for episode two. Episode two wasn't really bad but I don't think we are watching my idea of science fiction anymore. I'll watch the finale tomorrow but I don't expect a regular series to come out of this.