Ask AllAmericanDirect - Distant Network Q's

Adam B.

Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Hello Satellite Guys.

My name is Adam, and I'm the IT manager at AllAmericanDirect.

I'm not here to advertise, so I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules.

I'm here to answer any questions you have about Distant Network services both in High Definition and Standard Def. I work on the technical side of things, so I may have a bit more insight and be better qualified to answer things that the call center agents may not be clear about. I'll do my best to be as open as possible when responding.

Also, I'm interested in listening to your feedback about our service. I know that cost of HD networks were a problem when we launched, so we've dropped our prices recently to rectify that. Please let me know if you have any other concerns with our service.

:welcome
Hello Satellite Guys.

I'm here to answer any questions you have about Distant Network services both in High Definition and Standard Def. I work on the technical side of things, so I may have a bit more insight and be better qualified to answer things that the call center agents may not be clear about. I'll do my best to be as open as possible when responding.

Also, I'm interested in listening to your feedback about our service. I know that cost of HD networks were a problem when we launched, so we've dropped our prices recently to rectify that. Please let me know if you have any other concerns with our service.
:

Welcome I used to have those channels but the picture quality of the SD was not the best! But still 4.99 for a HD channel is to much!

Last edited:
Welcome, I also used to have the SD channels, but the cost of the HD channels made me drop everything. Give us a good price and more people will sign up.

:welcome

Welcome I used to have those channels but he picture quality of the SD was not the best! But still 4.99 for a HD channel is to much!

For Standard Def, we're at the mercy of the feed from the stations. It's improved significantly since the digital transition.

I can understand that $4.99 for an HD channel feels high. Unfortunately, our uplink costs for HD channels require such a price.

High Definition is only $1.50 per channel more than standard definition. I think that for the picture quality difference, it's definitely worth it.

I can understand that $4.99 for an HD channel feels high. Unfortunately, our uplink costs for HD channels require such a price.

So, to the best of your knowledge, are there any talks of further price reductions to get more customers, or is this as low as it will get for the foreseeable future?

AAD should work on strong arming the local affiliates in Indy to sign waivers! WTHR and WRTV refuse to sign any waiver, which really sucks for me in the Lafayette DMA.

So, to the best of your knowledge, are there any talks of further price reductions to get more customers, or is this as low as it will get for the foreseeable future?

We've been working to find the right price point that will keep our customers happy, while allowing us to keep offering HD. I think we've found it with this last price decrease, and don't expect it to change anytime in the near future.

AAD should work on strong arming the local affiliates in Indy to sign waivers! WTHR and WRTV refuse to sign any waiver, which really sucks for me in the Lafayette DMA.
We've made efforts in the past to work with these affiliates and try to get them to change their minds. We'd (obviously) love for them to approve all the waiver requests that are submitted. Unfortunately, some don't see how this is in their customer's best interest. I don't think there's anything more we can do to get them to change their minds about this.

The best thing you can do is get in contact with your congress person to petition get the Distant Network laws changed. (check out mytvrights.com) We're fighting hard for this, so that we can offer it to people in your situation.

Have you read the AAD poll forum, http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ican-direct-hd-prices.html?highlight=AAD+poll ? It shows an overwhelming( 10-1 ) refusal to buy your HD service at the price you want/need. Even at $18.99 for all 4 networks in a city the cost is higher than any premiun network package on Dish . With the premium package subscription you get the SD and HD version . For example, HBO is $15.99/ month for this price you get 8 HD channels and 8 SD channels. For $20/month you get 2 premium packages. If you took HBO and Starz you would get 22 SD channels and 14 HD channels.

If you came up with a package that includes both SD and HD networks you might get more subscibers. How about $20( now $33.98) for the 8 SD channels and 4 HD channels and $30( now $52.97) for all 8 HD and 8SD channels? I bet you would get a huge jump in subscribers and more than cover your costs with a reasonable profit.

I have the HD package out of LA for my RV and I am very happy. I feel for the price you should get both cities. The quality of the picture is in line with that provided on the Dish channels. I have no problems with the stations not being there 24/7.

Have you read the AAD poll forum, http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ican-direct-hd-prices.html?highlight=AAD+poll ? It shows an overwhelming( 10-1 ) refusal to buy your HD service at the price you want/need.

That poll was created when we first launched distant networks, so it may no longer have valid results. A better poll may be "How much would you pay for a HD distant network channel?"...

If you came up with a package that includes both SD and HD networks you might get more subscibers. How about $20( now $33.98) for the 8 SD channels and 4 HD channels and $30( now $52.97) for all 8 HD and 8SD channels? I bet you would get a huge jump in subscribers and more than cover your costs with a reasonable profit.

To be honest, people who qualify for all 4 channels are in the vast minority. I know "movers", and people in deep rural areas are pretty active on these forums, but the average person will not get all four stations.

If you already pay $39.99 a year for one network/coast in SD, upgrading to HD is only $15 more.

There are currently no plans to add or change the origin of our HD networks.

That is a shame. I bet alot more people would be interested in your HD networks if they were from the larger NY market than Chicago.

Hello Satellite Guys.

I love my service. I have the SD feeds of CBS, FOX, and NBC from San Francisco and New York. Sometimes, I encounter pixelation and a buzzing sound on the WNBC feed, but other then that everything is good.

WNBC still sounds like its coming out of a megaphone to me. When you turn it up even a little, it sounds way over amplified. Everything else is just fine.

I have that problem as well. It actually does that more then the buzzing sound for me.

I think the quality of the HD channels from Los Angeles is excellent. I live in Chicago, so take exception to the comment that people would rather have NY. But personally, if I could have both Chicago and NY in HD, that would be ideal. The SD quality of the channels is not that great.

Also, please tell the Chicago FOX and ABC stations to stop rejecting my waiver requests..

There are currently no plans to add or change the origin of our HD networks.

Adam, are you aware that your HD channels do not appear in the dish remote access website. This is a big problem as more and more people are using the website to access their DVR's.

Apparently it is the way you format your channel numbers. You simply have the two digit channel number. The other two digit channels provided by dish begin with a 0 and and with a-00. For example, dish channel 68 is 068-00.

Thanks,

Mitch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts