Ask and it shall be given

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharpee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Bristol, PA
Seek and you will find your dish!. Well, i finally picked up my first Primestar (Free Of Charge) from a client of mine who was very happy to see it go away.
Im very thankful for the wealth of information you guys have posted on this gem.
I'm gonna try to do a "retrofit" to a smaller pipe since the original looks like it's 2 or 3 inches. Maybe a motor in the future?? I'm kind of confused about setting the skew for this but it should be easy.

Anyways, I'm posting some pics for the group to see. Looks like a 40x30:D

Attachments

• primestar 001.jpg
    primestar 001.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 230
  • primestar 002.jpg
    primestar 002.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 223
  • primestar 003.jpg
    primestar 003.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 217
The skew is set on the LNB. There are 4 screws behind the eye...loosen those and then you can skew. The eye doesn't move, just the LNB part behind it :)

I circled them on your picture :)

Attachments

• primestar 003.jpg
    primestar 003.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 221
Thanks Ice, Now I know what those are for. I thought the eye was supposed to move. Just have to find the right wrench for it. I don't think a nut driver could fit in there.

I'd like to rotate one of these 90 degrees to where the wide dimension was up and down and see if it made reception better where satellites are more closely spaced.

Harold

Those little bolts take a 7mm wrench.

I got mine at Lowes for 3 or 4 dollars. I like it because it is thin, fits perfectly, and you don't run the risk of over tightening that you have with a bigger wrench.

Fred

Having the narrow part of the dish oriented horizontally will result in less rejection (or more interference) from an adjacent satellite.

I'd like to rotate one of these 90 degrees to where the wide dimension was up and down and see if it made reception better where satellites are more closely spaced.

Harold

Sharpee that dish works great with a motor, and the best part is its free. When I first got mine I had it aimed at g10 lots of good stuff on there, just find the satellite first then adjust the skew, a small turn of the LNB does a lot.

Thanks Guys for the info on the skew adjust. Turns out I do have a 7mm wrench that I got at a local flee market. On the back of the dish there is no 84E only a pat number and a mold number. Must be an earlier model. I did however use the ol' tape measure and it is in fact 40x30. Currently I'm in the process of building a rooftop mount for it with some spare parts n stuff I have laying around. Wish I could put it in the garden but my wife doesn't think so! She spends much time diong a great job in the garden with lots of neat looking plants. But I think a Primestar dish next to the purple Iris would look beautiful!
Happy Memorial Day and Thank God for our Troops and Veterans.

Last edited:
My wife feels the same way about an 8' mesh dish and her Iris and Daylilies.
grusome

dueling with the Devil . . .

I don't know about the 8 footer, but for the little 40" dish, you might take some nice pictures of the flowers, then have them printed on sticky vinyl.
It can be done at art-supply stores (... in big cities...)
Stick that on the dish, and it'll blend right in! :rolleyes:

Well, at the very least, tell her my idea, and get back to us with what she thinks! :cool:

LOL Great Idea Anole! Well I made my wife a sticky vinyl offer and she just had a good laugh and said no way!. ....That would have been true dish/garden art.
Still workin on the roof mount this morning but had to stop for the trip to the inlaws for the "big" holiday picnic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts