Aspect Ratio Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Plywodstatebum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
A Secluded Beach In, Fl.
My TV has a Auto Detect for the Aspect Ratio I can turn it On or Off. And I noticed the HDTV H-10 receiver has it also. Should they be used? If so how would it be set? Like which one should be on.. ect...

This won't hurt anything? I noticed it changes channels real strange, Like its undecided what channel it wants. Could that be because the television has to "guess" at whether there is motion and how to handle it."Thanks

My Tivo receiver has that function as well, I turn it to 16:9 because I have a wide screen Hitachi Ultravision, but when I turn it on or off on the Tivo receiver I really dont notice any difference at all...

Plywod...
can I assume you are not using HDMI/DVI, but rather Component for your video feeds? My Pany does the autodetect on the component, but assumes everything on HDMI is 16:9. no biggie, just curious.

My suggestion, now that I've re-read your post, is to set your TV to not auto detect aspect, and force it to full, and then control the aspect of your video via your STB.
That may help with the channel surfing glitches you mention also.

I would avoid watching of 4:3 broadcasts in the standard 4:3 Aspect Ratio for extended periods on a 16:9 HDTV for this reason:

I recently saw a hi-$$ 53" 16:9 HDTV with Burn-in on the sides of the screens, from watching 4:3 broadcasts in the standard 4:3 Aspect Ratio with the grey bars on the sides.... When DVD or HDTV broadcasts were watched, the burn-in was very noticible.

Plywodstatebum said:
My TV has a Auto Detect for the Aspect Ratio I can turn it On or Off. And I noticed the HDTV H-10 receiver has it also. Should they be used? If so how would it be set? Like which one should be on.. ect...

If you have your HD TiVo set to either 720p or 1080i (HD), then you either have the components or HDMI hooked up. If all of the above is true, then you cannot change aspect ratio on the your TV since it has detected an HD signal and only the source can change the aspect ratio, not the TV. At least that's how it should work.

riggscm said:
He is using component cables. Please read up.

Also, I am using the HDMI connection on my set which is connected to my HD TiVo and I can change the aspect ratio on the set, regardless of the output of the tuner.

Weird, should not be able to modify a digital signal... :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)