Aspect ratio SD channel

mlcarson

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I have a local CW channel being broadcast on DISH which is not HD. It's the one out of El Paso, TX. Either they or DISH is doing something interesting with the aspect ratio. Most of the HD shows are now being compressed width wise so that the aspect ratio is off on a 4:3 rather than chopping the sides off to preserve the aspect ratio. What this does for anybody with an HDTV is giving them the option to use the "stretch" feature of most HDTV's to get a corrected aspect ratio and a full screen picture. This is not the same as stretching a 4:3 signal to fill up the screen with an incorrect aspect ratio. The picture isn't true HD because of the resolution but it works out very well for those with 16:9 TV's. It probably sucks for those using a standard TV since they're getting a very squished picture. Programming which isn't recorded in HD has the expected 4:3 aspect ratio.

Is this being done by DISH, the CW, or the local station? Are other areas seeing the same thing?

I'm not really sure what you are trying to convey here, but I gather that you are talking about "stretch-o-vision" that many HD channels employ to stretch 4:3 content to a 16:9 screen therefore making everyone short and fat. DISH does none of that, it is up to each individual programming provider to determine whether or not they wish to maintain a proper aspect ratio, chop off the top and bottom, stretch, compress, etc.

This brings me up to a feature that the DISH receivers should get. They should get a "4:3" format mode, like my TVs have, that actually compresses stretch-o-vision back to the proper 4:3 aspect ratio.

your local station is sending the signal out in 16x9 in a SD format with 4x3. on an hdtv you will get black bars on all sides.

rather than using your tv's stretch feature, use the * key to run through the aspect ratio settings directly on the receiver. this way you wont have to use two remotes and when you switch to another station it will have the correct format already. with the tv remote you would have to change it back each time.

but again, your local CW is the one sending it out in that format, the CW around here does it all the time.

just a carification .. * key .. meaning on the Dish Remote .... most should have the word "Format" written in legal-eeze sized writing there. :)

to see what mode the dish box is in ... when you hit Cancel on the dish remote it will bring up or clear the screen banner. On the screen banner upper left side under the TV#/Time .. there should be "Normal" or some other word in a box, and possibly two listed like "Normal" and then under that "Grey Bar" which means on the SD output for that tuner from the receiver.. it would be greybar for those needing it. etc.. there's several modes that show up there depending on what your TV1 is set to in the menus of the receiver (ie: 16:9 / 4:3 #1 / 4:3 #2)

One of the local OTA channels switched the programming on their sub-channel from RTN to ME-TV. This sub-channel now displays side bars even in the stretch format for all its programming. There doesn’t seem to be anyway to get the picture to fill the screen. This is done by the provider and Dish has no control over this. Why they would do this, I have no idea.

We have a CW in Duluth, MN that is in "digital widescreen" but Dish carries it only in SD

If I put the channel in "stetch" mode then in HD it goes side to side and the black bar on top and bottom of HD programming....non HD goes to top of screen with balck bars on sides. If I leave in "normal" then you have postage stamp effect. Ironically the news that they show at 9 fills the whole screen

This is the only channel I have it set like that

I think what the OP is saying is that the picture he gets is 16x9 but squished to the 4x3 ratio. So, by using the "stretch" function the OP can see a full non-distorted 16x9 image, no black bars - though in SD. I do see that effect with some low power OTA local channels here in Atlanta. Also, Euronews is broadcast that way as well.

Some channels, most noteably the RSNs, squish their 16x9 feed into a 4x3 window on their SD feeds, and watching from TV2 the Dish "*" button has no effect on the aspect (always "Normal"). Makes watching these unbearable on a standard 4x3 TV. Then some commercials and programs are still sent in 4x3 within the 16x9 feed that goes thru 4x3 SD signal. Postage stamp city. Letterboxed SD feeds on Dish should still be allowed an option to change it to "Pan & Scan"...well, really full zoom, since it's already being sent as a 4x3 image...at least on TV2. I can do so with HD feeds, but not SD feeds.

Last edited:
3HaloODST -- it's not stretch-o-vision. It's the opposite. They compressed a 16:9 show on a 4:3 transmission. If I use the * key on the Dish remote and choose stretch -- the aspect ratio is now correct on a 16:9 HDTV. The 4:3 TV owners suffer big time but it's fine for the rest of us.

Petrovich got what I was trying to convey. I don't think it's doing what Iceberg said since I never noticed any black bar on the top and bottom. The station is only doing this on shows which are filmed at 16:9 so other shows are like any other 4:3 signal.

That's generally the best case unless a station squeezes the 16:9 into a 4:3 format as I indicated. It'll look like crap on "Normal" since it'll be the wrong aspect ratio and still have side bars. Those with an older SDTV will see the wrong aspect ratio without the side bars.

I have found out at least with my HDTV is to leave all format settings in "Normal" and do the same with my 722k for the best PQ.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)